Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 13,483 times

Advertisements

I considering relocation from Cape Ann, MA (which I absolutely love). I want to live in a wooded area with a fresh water source nearby for swimming, etc. Safety, privacy are key! My price range is $150K-ish for 3BR. I am in commercial property management (I manage shopping centers, mixed use developments, etc), but have not secured employment in the area. My children are 18 and 20 and will want to be reasonably close to "civilization"--ie: C-ville or a town with people their age and lots of things to do.

What are the pros/cons of the LM area? Are there other areas I should consider? I likley want to be in or very near Albermarle county.

Feel like I'm searching for a needle in a haystack. Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 12:18 PM

47 posts, read 97,290 times
Cons: Interesting combination of "redneck makes good" and cops as the residents. Probably every police officer for a 100 mile radius lives there. I know they market it in NE and Europe as a safe place to live in the south, as if there were any crime outside of the community to worry about. It's also a long haul into charlottesville (by cville standards).

Pros: Cheap housing, lakes

Sorry, I'm not a huge fan of Lake Monitcello and have found people that tend to reside there to be undesirable company.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:49 AM

542 posts, read 991,416 times
I have no idea as far as housing prices go, but have you checked out the Lake Anna area? It straddles Louisa and Spotsylvania counties. It's in the country, but about as close to C-ville as it is to F-burg. I guess it's about as close to Richmond. The lake itself is much larger than Lake Monticello and offers a variety of water and outdoor activities. Smith Mountain Lake might also be an option. It's not far from Roanoke and offers similar amenities.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:36 AM

Very helpful, Nebat, thank you!!!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:16 PM

21 posts, read 68,324 times
I live at the lake, and while there are some "blue collar" types, 1/2 of the community is retirees. It has also become a family community as of late, with the Cville prices so high. Now, my wife and I being from DC/NOVA , and having higher degrees, might put us in the "lowly type" arena, ;^) its not a bad place...neighborhood, but in the country. I work in downtown Cville, and it takes me 23 minutes door to door. I don't mind that "commute" but of course I'm used to 1.25 hours each way in DC. The housing is decent, and the taxes are low (compared to most of VA) There's rivers and some nice local parks - mtns are 30 minutes due west. I would also put the % of "less desirables" (love that term) as higher in NOVA, Cville or Richmond - in fact check the % crime stats...that should answer that. THe Lake is "out there" but the basics are here...Food Lion, gas, pizza, video, coffee, CVS and a few rest's. Its also about 50 minutes to the west end of Richmond.....so if you are trying to slow down, but still close to a larger town and/or city....its not bad. Its a place the kids run around and play in the woods...don't see that in many places anymore....oh and you'd better like deer :^)

Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 AM

thank you so much! we'd like to purchase 3+++ acres of land outside the gated area for under $100K. any recommendations?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:29 AM

21 posts, read 68,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydream1 View Post
thank you so much! we'd like to purchase 3+++ acres of land outside the gated area for under $100K. any recommendations?
use www.mycaar.com search for land in Fluvanna county

Fox Hollow is a nice area right outside one of the gates, on Rt 53 (main road to town) and 1/2 mile to the grocery store...2-5 acre lots...probably 30 home area. mid to upscale homes. Bunch of lots there, don't be afraid to shoot low :^)

MyCAAR.com

Tom Seeley was our realtor - great guy and knows the area.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:17 AM

37 posts, read 131,153 times
We looked at LM when we moved to the Charlottesville area about a year ago. Just so you know, LM is in Fluvanna County, east of Charlottesville. Albemarle County surrounds Charlottesville. Fluvanna County has an overall different feel than Albemarle. But I will say, housing is inexpensive in LM compared to Albemarle Co. and the City of Charlottesville. I think LM is kind of a mixed bag of people; blue collar, retirees, families, professionals, etc. No one group to me stood out more than another. I wouldn't say it is "undesirable". I personally didn't like it because it felt very remote to me, there's not much in Fluvanna County. Just depends on what you are looking for. Pros - less than 30 minutes from Charlottesville and about 45 minutes from Glen Allen (suburban Richmond) and very affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville