U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 07:51 PM

5 posts, read 11,668 times

Advertisements

no, not really, though overt racist incidents occur occasionally. but historic structural and institutional racism is the issue here. for example, most black folks in Cville are employed in lowpaying service jobs. also, gentrification of black neighborhoods is an issue as well as the racial profiling/criminilization of Black men and Black young people. i have heard that in some schools African American students are often tracked in lower level courses. these are all issues not unique to Charlottesville by any means but there hasn't been a much work done in in really dealing with them. but there have been some good recent attempts to dialogue about the issues at least.

good luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 01:29 AM

7 posts, read 33,362 times
Charlottesville is a "bubble". I'm a CVille native. It's a beautiful college town nestled against the Blue Ridge. It's progressive and tolerant, a very pleasant town. Unfortunately, the secret is also out of the bag, so to speak. CVille being named in all these "best places to live" lists has brought in a lot of growth, and prices have drastically gone up.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:09 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,389,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslea View Post
Charlottesville is a "bubble". I'm a CVille native. It's a beautiful college town nestled against the Blue Ridge. It's progressive and tolerant, a very pleasant town. Unfortunately, the secret is also out of the bag, so to speak. CVille being named in all these "best places to live" lists has brought in a lot of growth, and prices have drastically gone up.
Well...it's always been very expensive in the Hook but you're right...housing costs just keep going up and up. The problem is there is only one real industry in town...the University and the pay scales aren't where they need to be to support such an expensive area. I know there are smaller employers but again....the pay is too low. It's a shame so many companies are gone now leaving basically two choices....retail or working at the U. All these professors get paid large salaries to come and teach at UVa but no one else makes that kind of money...at least I didn't.

I remember Morton Frozen Foods, Comdial, GE Fanuc and The Michie Company. I loved working for Michie and there is still LEXIS-NEXIS in the Water Street office but it's only a shell of what it used to be now and I enjoyed working at the U but salaries were frozen the three years I worked there. Lots of choices in employment are gone now and it's too bad. I left Charlottesville for Orlando in 2004 and don't miss it a bit.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:13 PM

240 posts, read 479,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslea View Post

I know this post is a few months old, but there is so much truth in what you said such that I couldn't help to comment. I agree completely. That is the same thing that happened in North Carolina. I was a much more decent place to live in. Then, it made the list of ''best places'', people (mostly from the Northeast and other bad places) started flocking down here, and then it changed for the worst. I do agree with you that Charlottesville, I agree, is located in a nice place, but the times I have gone there it has seemed congested. The mountain setting is my thing.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,109 times
You may wish to look at/into the Asheville, NC area. Even though its Western North Carolina, it's different from the areas along the TN, SC borders.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:13 PM

939 posts, read 1,553,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenzele View Post
no, not really, though overt racist incidents occur occasionally. but historic structural and institutional racism is the issue here. for example, most black folks in Cville are employed in lowpaying service jobs. also, gentrification of black neighborhoods is an issue as well as the racial profiling/criminilization of Black men and Black young people. i have heard that in some schools African American students are often tracked in lower level courses. these are all issues not unique to Charlottesville by any means but there hasn't been a much work done in in really dealing with them. but there have been some good recent attempts to dialogue about the issues at least.

good luck with your move!
As someone who grew up in Charlottesville and Albermarle in the 90s, while attending both private and public schools and have witnessed gentrification on extreme scales in the DC Metro area that Charlottesville will likely never know, I feel as though I should provide my viewpoints:

1) Black "folks" have the same opportunities as white "folks" in Charlottesville. Charlottesville is not self-segregated enough for there to be a "black" school and a "white" school. This applies to both City and County schools.

2) Many of the black kids self segregate in school and engage in various antisocial behaviors which usually revolve around rebelling against the teacher and getting into disciplinary problems. This is no different than any other community in america that has a fairly large black minority.

3)When I was in Public High school, there were four levels of classes: Practical, standard, Advanced and AP/Honors. Practical courses are reserved for Special Needs children (think: autism, down's, etc). Standard are the basic level course for kids who don't really intend to go to college. Advanced were for college bound, and Honors/AP could get you a leg up in college by giving you some credits to start with. In my school, you were virtually guaranteed to only have a slight minority of the black population if you took Advanced level or higher courses. Those kids were usually like everyone else, made good grades and didn't cause trouble. Standard courses were usually filled with the good ole' boy types and ghetto rejects (this was AHS). Amazingly, there were actually a fair amount of non-afflicted black kids in the practical courses, simply because they didn't care enough to ever progress.

4) Taking the above statement at face value, if you ended up in CHS you had two choices: Take Advanced/AP classes and graduate with a great degree from a school ranked very highly, with your only interaction with dangerous thugs coming from the occasional passing by in the lunchroom, courtyard or hallways.. or.... Choose to go the Standard/Practical route, which was basically like a prison sentence.

5) As for gentrification, I will tell you what I tell everyone who complains about cities being on the upswing the last two decades and pricing blacks out: We gave you the cities for FIFTY years as we fled to the suburbs because of your violence, and they only got worse and worse. You had FIFTY years to get your crap together and make something out of this city, and now, unfortunately for you, we're taking them back. You know what's happened in almost every major city in the last two decades? Murder and violent crime rates have dropped, schools have improved, average income has increased, etc. Basically every indicator of an improving Quality of Life has popped up, and yet somehow people are missing the good old days when you had to be worried about being shot two blocks from the whitehouse, or in cville's case, the Downtown Mall? Thanks to Garrett Squar..ehem.. Friendship Court, Charlottesville isn't fully there yet, but it's only a matter of time before the developers convince the city to let them build something useful there.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:20 PM

13 posts, read 22,150 times
Dont agree with point (1) from above.

If you look at the makeup of 2 of the biggest area high schools you will will find that Charlottesville High is mostly poor minority students and Western Albemarle is mostly rich white kids.

It essentially government sponsored segregation. That said, its no different than any other part of the country.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:31 PM

939 posts, read 1,553,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone88888 View Post
Dont agree with point (1) from above.

If you look at the makeup of 2 of the biggest area high schools you will will find that Charlottesville High is mostly poor minority students and Western Albemarle is mostly rich white kids.

It essentially government sponsored segregation. That said, its no different than any other part of the country.
CHS is full of rich white kids too, almost to the same ratio that WHS is full of poor redneck white kids (along with rich white kids). Also, how is this government sponsored in any way shape or form? Charlottesville and Albermarle are separate entities, do you want to bus the poor kids from each place to the opposite location just to prove a point?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 AM

13 posts, read 22,150 times
Public schools receive financial aid from local, state and the federal government..no?

Also, I dare you to compare the number of black students in CHS vs WAHS.

Again, its not a C'ville thing. It happens everywhere. Rich people figured it out long ago. With high property prices and property taxes, you can basically control who lives near you, who attends your schools, etc.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 AM

848 posts, read 1,638,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone88888 View Post
Public schools receive financial aid from local, state and the federal government..no?

Also, I dare you to compare the number of black students in CHS vs WAHS.

Again, its not a C'ville thing. It happens everywhere. Rich people figured it out long ago. With high property prices and property taxes, you can basically control who lives near you, who attends your schools, etc.
What Gustavo is saying is that CHS and Western are two different school districts- one city and one in a county. The government has nothing to do with who goes to city and who goes to county schools; it depends on where they choose to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville