U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 07:59 PM

6 posts, read 15,090 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So, we live in Rochester, NY. My wife will be pursuing a degree in Charlottesville, VA or Aurora, CO. We will live there for ~5-7 years, have no children until after this (hopefully), and are both recently out of college (not rich). We are having a very difficult time picking between the two.

-The top priority is research interest. Charlottesville edges out Aurora here.
-The job market is important, but a little less so. I would likely be looking for a job in IT, Information Security, or some other job where I can use a background in analysis (undergrad degree) and/or technology (graduate degree in progress). Aurora / Denver seems better for this, unless job competition would keep me out of the market. Only have ~1.5 years job experience at this point.

After this, I am having trouble considering all the factors.

-We plan to buy a house, perhaps after renting and searching for a short while. Housing prices and availability are thus important. Aurora and that area seems better here.
-We love tennis. Charlottesville wins hands down.
-I hate spiders and bugs in general (irrational, I know). Aurora wins hands down.
-I like dry, not-hot climates. Aurora wins hands down here.
-Both options will leave us far from family (Upstate NY and Suburbs of Boston) but this is okay, given the temporary (5-6 years) nature of our move.

There are plenty of small factors. Charlottesville might be greener, and Aurora seems like a massive urban sprawl... but has beautiful, beautiful places for weekend trips. Aurora probably has many more choices for shopping.

So! Anything we aren't considering? I would greatly appreciate any comments or tips from people with experience in either location. Bonus for comparisons between these areas, or with Rochester.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 03:34 PM

542 posts, read 911,644 times
Hi there. I don't live in Charlottesville, but work there. I've never been to the Denver area, but it sounds like a fantastic area.

About your conflicts with the two areas, housing is pricey in Charlottesville and Albemarle county, but I'm surprised they aren't any worse than the Denver area. Many, many people commute into C-ville from cheaper areas as I do. If you look hard, deals can be found.

As far as bugs go, I don't think VA's are any worse than NY's. I'm sure a few might be a bit bigger, but we are far from Florida. We do get an even amount of seasons here. Summer lasts longer and winter a bit shorter. In reality our seasons come on schedule with the solstices. No joke. It doesn't stay hot all year here as in Florida for the bugs to reach gargantuan sizes.

As far as humidity, C-ville and pretty much all of the mid-atlantic/upper south, is an extremely humid place in the middle of summer. Gotta give this one to Colorado!

While you will be far from family in both places, C-ville is still a thousand or 2 miles closer than Denver. And C-ville has it's own regional airport so you could fly up to see family in a matter of hours.

C-ville is small, even compared to Rochester, but it is reasonably close to larger areas. DC is an easy 2 hour drive up Rt. 29 on the weekends. Richmond is an hour east on 64. It's comparable to Rochester in size. Beyond that is the beach, only another 1.5 hrs past Richmond. Charlottesville itself is in an attractive area in the foothills of the blue ridge mountains and in as little as 30 mins you can be up on the skyline drive or blue ridge parkway! While Denver itself is a big city with everything you could want right there, including shopping, etc. and breathtaking natural beauty, you're pretty much stuck with just Denver. Not much else around within driving distance for hours. It might just be me, but I like knowing I can visit a handful of big cities in a matter of hours, or the mountains or the beach.

While I obviously suggest Charlottesville, only you know what you ultimately will be happy with. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM

345 posts, read 871,686 times
If you have never been to Colorado I suggest you visit before you move. It is different from the East Coast.

We are by no mean bugless or spiderless. Never saw a black widow till I moved here. I do not fear bugs but would rather not get bit by a widow. Flies, earwigs, wasps, ants and etc are all out here. The thing I notice little of are fleas and ticks. Mosquitos drive me nuts in the Summer and buying a bug zapper was a good use of $30!

Look carefully into the areas of Aurora because there are cheap places in bad areas.
As far as jobs, ight be hard to ocme by, there are not many to be had. Sadly a few of my friends have been laid off. Husband's job has had no raises for 2 yrs, 5 furlough days a year and a hiring freeze. So if you can get one grab it.

Yes it is far greener on the East Coast, that kind of shocked me when I first came out here. I laugh when people complain about how humid it is at 30% humidity. But the dry heat in the Summer can make the sun feel like you are in a microwave. We have 90 degree + days in the Summer. But shade means a nice temp drop. unlike in humid areas.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville