Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 09:03 AM

416 posts, read 1,089,887 times

Advertisements

From Chattanoogan.com
City Council Approves 6-3 For 37-Cent Property Tax Hike
posted June 29, 2010
The City Council on Tuesday afternoon voted 6-3 to approve a $185 million budget that would necessitate a 37-cent property tax increase.
In favor were Council members Manny Rico, Carol Berz, Sally Robinson, Andrae McGary, Pam Ladd and Jack Benson.
Opposed were Deborah Scott, Peter Murphy and Russell Gilbert.

Many folks tried to convince them. I guess I wasted my time sending them the following message:
Something to consider about the proposed tax increase.
Firstly, as a taxpayer, I (we all) urge you to vote against this horrific proposed increase.
While I know the circumstances and location are different, . . . Orange County, Florida announced that:
- They will NOT lay off any staff, and
- They will NOT increase property taxes.

This is in light of a shrinking budget due to lower property values (thus lower assessments and lower tax amounts collected), AND a sharp decrease in new construction, which decreases the permitting fees usually collected. In short, less revenues are rolling in.
Several cost cutting measures have been:
- NO Raises for staff for several consecutive years.
- Everytime an individual quits or retires, that position is ELIMINATED from the budget, and thus nobody is hired to replace them.
- The County's self insured health care has taken a major hit, costing employees a LOT more now.
Other future possiblities discussed included:
- forcing staff to take unpaid days off, and on said day they would shut down all County buildings, thus saving on utilities as well as salaries. It could start with 5 days per year, then if needed could expand to every 2nd Friday.
Let me say it again, . . . They will NOT increase property taxes.

Have any such creative cost saving ideas been explored ?
Any newer and even MORE innovative ideas ??
Property taxes are already disproportionately higher in Hamilton County AND the City of Chattanooga, . . . than they are in adjacent jurisdictions.
Do you want to emphasize the message that Chattanooga, due to tax extortion, . . . is an unfriendly place to live and do business ?
This will hurt those who live and do business here. Those who have the means will flee to where the tax rates are fairer, AND THUS LEAVE YOU WITH A NET LOSS IN THE LONG TERM. This increase is an un-creative temporary fix with terrible consequences.
again, we urge you to vote against this travesty.

thank you,
A concerned taxpayer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga