U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,686 times

Advertisements

My family is moving from Johannesburg, South Africa to Chattanooga in Dec, 2010. We are looking at schools for our two boys, grade 1 and 3. Currently they are doing 3 languages here in SA, so we would like to find a school that offers a second language. We can not afford the $12,000+ of some of the private schools, but was wondering about the smaller Christian schools. Have no problem with the Christian aspect of the schools. Are some better than others? All about the same?

Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 PM

626 posts, read 934,776 times
Hamilton County Private Schools - Tennessee/TN - Private School Review

Old 08-22-2010, 01:16 AM

3 posts, read 7,962 times
If you placed your children in the Collegedale School System which, is operated by a group of constituent Seventh-day Adventist Churches in the area, both of your children would be in Spalding Elementary. Both of my sons were raised in Adventist schools and I know several people involved in Christian education in the area. As private schools go, they are reasonably priced. Spalding, Collegedale Adventist Middle School (CAMS) and Collegedale Academy (CA) are all adjacent to the 3,000 member Collegedale SDA Church and the 2500 student Southern Adventist University. Spalding's website is A. W. Spalding Elementary School*Collegedale*TN : Home There are other Adventist Church Schools in the area as well.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 AM

20 posts, read 27,268 times
Normal Park upper and lower offers second languages, german, french and spanish I know for sure call the principle, Jill Levine, at 209-5900 she would be happy to talk with you about the school.

It is not a private school but offers a great educational expierence and rated one of the top Magnet schools in the US.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:56 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,497,350 times
The link provided by VolDude is a good place for general information

McCallie (boys only), Girls Prep (girls only), and Baylor are the three most expensive, running about $20k per year each for day-students.

Most Christian schools in the area range from $6k to $10k depending on the school and age (Kindergarten is generally cheaper than high school). We have denominations ranging from Catholic (Notre Dame, OLPH) to Baptist (Silverdale) to 7th Day Adventist (Spalding) to Lutheran (Belvoir) to non-denominational Christian (I know several people with children at Boyd Buchanan and personally it would be the school I'd look at first).

Normal Park is a Magnet School (a public school that offers a "theme'd" education style). It's a zoned school, so you'd have to move into the right area go get it. It's located immediately across the river and east of downtown.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:10 PM

4 posts, read 4,662 times
I went to St. Jude Catholic elementary school and considered it a good education, but it definitely wasn't multi-lingual.

My current office mate has kids a couple years older than yours at CSAS, another public school in town. I don't think he's zoned for it, but he still got in and drops his kids off every day. I mention it specifically because he said his kids are learning French.

I think more options are coming up, too. I remember reading somewhere that with Volkswagen coming to town that there was going to be a German language school, and that would probably encourage more German amongst the other schools in the area.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:19 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,476,895 times
icrf, if that's true, that would be fantastic!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:43 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,497,350 times
The Chattanooga School for Arts and Sciences (CSAS, K-12) and it's sister school the Chattanooga School for Liberal Arts (CSLA, K-8, automatic transfer to CSAS on graduation) are both magnet schools that teach on the Paideia (http://www.paideia.org/content.php/system/index.htm - broken link) principle. Both enroll all students in either French or Spanish starting in Kindergarten. You stay with the same language every year, and which language you get is randomly assigned in Kindergarten (most people prefer Spanish, though, so if you prefer French then you can ask for it and you'll probably get it). CSLA won an award as the top magnet school in the country last year.

Unlike the other 12 magnet schools in Hamilton County which use a mixed zoned/lottery system, CSAS and CSLA use a first-come-first-served system for all students. Neither school has a geographic "zone". Unfortunately, what this means is that you have to stand in line to get in. The line for the 2011-2012 kindergarten class has come and gone (application day was Sept. 18; this is why I didn't mention these schools in my earlier post). Any Hamilton county resident can apply at any time after the application day, but you'll be behind everyone else who's already applied. There are 100 seats available (3x20 at CSAS and 2x20 at CSLA), but lots of these seats are taken by children of teachers and by siblings of students already in the system. So for about 50 available seats there were over 150 people standing in line this year.

About the only realistic times for getting into either school is Kindergarten (if you stand in line), 4th grade (this is when some students leave for high-end private middle-schools), 6th grade (students leaving for top Prep schools) and 8th grade (people leaving CSLA and not choosing to continue at CSAS). Once one child gets in, any younger siblings automatically get in and older siblings jump to the head of the line because they want siblings to go to school together.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:41 AM

20 posts, read 27,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post

Normal Park is a Magnet School (a public school that offers a "theme'd" education style). It's a zoned school, so you'd have to move into the right area go get it. It's located immediately across the river and east of downtown.
Normal Park is a magnet school but it is NOT toatally zoned school, they do accept children out of the zone. My son has attended NPMM since kindergarten and while we live in North Chatt our road was kicked out of the zone by the school board so he attends because he was accepted via the lottery.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltoo View Post
Normal Park upper and lower offers second languages, german, french and spanish I know for sure call the principle, Jill Levine, at 209-5900 she would be happy to talk with you about the school.

So it is true.

Jill Levine has control over what kids 'get in' and what kids don't 'get in' at NP.

A lot of minority parents who don't know why they can't send their kids to NP now finally have an answer.

You have to call Jill Levine to get them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga