Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,184,990 times

Advertisements

I am going to be visiting Chattanooga Friday with my older Aunt and need a recommendation for a fun lunch spot.

Downtown would be great but doesn't have to be.

Not fast food. Sit down service Something interesting. Any price range is ok. A few suggestions would be great.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 AM

145 posts, read 449,737 times
I have not eaten there myself but I have a friend who did recently and was absolutely RAVING about Aretha Frankensteins : Aretha Frankensteins - // - Page 3 of 3

There are lots of cool little eateries in the downtown area as well.

Have fun!

Old 10-19-2010, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,911 times
In the downtown area I'd recommend:

Southern Star
Downtown, caddy-corner to the Chattanoogan hotel. Kind of a fresher/homemade and slightly pricier Cracker Barrel. The place fills up fast for lunch.

Bluegrass Grill
On Main street just around the corner from the Choo-Choo. They have a great breakfast served all day (through lunch, closes at 2) and some good sandwiches and specials.

Other "old-school Chattanooga"/interesting options:

Bea's - not downtown and not in the greatest Chattanooga area, but definitely interesting. All the tables have large lazy susans and you'll likely be sharing the table with strangers, but usually that's part of the fun. It's buffet style, and probably a bit overpriced for the quality in my opinion. A bit out of the way too for a new-in-town lunch visit.

Zarzour's - a 80+ year old "hole in the wall" place, also off Main street near Bluegrass Grill. It's a burger, meat and veggies place - beans, greens and cornbread is a popular order. It's developed a strong "out of the way foodie place" reputation, mainly for the burger.

Nikki's - the other side of the river, and 'to the left' just before the tunnel. Also been around a long time, it's your basic diner greasy spoon. Great onion rings and, oddly, the best hushpuppies ever. At least to me

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:35 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,191,514 times
Blue Plate
Terminal Brewhouse

Old 10-19-2010, 03:15 PM

I am going to check out the suggestions above. Thank you all.

Another question. What is your opinions of 212 Market?

Old 10-19-2010, 05:24 PM

340 posts, read 1,507,268 times
If your aunt is older and you want a classy experience I'd do Hennen's, Terra Nostra or 212 Market. I wouldn't personally recommend any of the others listed. Not that they're bad restaurants but most will be loud or cater to a younger crowd.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:03 PM

To what general age does 212 Market cater?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 PM

340 posts, read 1,507,268 times
212 would cater to a crowd looking for an upscale experience. It's not necessarily a specific age they are catering to but perhaps a certain demographic. The restaurant has widely spaced tables and is fairly quiet, with lots of organic and farm-raised food prepared to order. Another place to check out would be the Boathouse which is popular with the Boomer crowd. It's just outside downtown, has a fabulous outdoor dining area overlooking the river and serving a lot of seafood. It's about 3 minutes east of downtown. Finally you might also check out Back-Inn Cafe at Bluff View (a popular artsy tourist area downtown) which is similar to 212 but with fantastic views in a lovely setting.

Last edited by dasmarian; 10-19-2010 at 07:58 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,911 times
212 is definitely on the upscale end, both in quality and price. Terra Nostra, while great, isn't open for lunch I don't think. The Back-Inn Cafe at Bluff View is a good suggestion, particularly as a first visit kind of place. There's also Tony's Pasta there and Rembrandts Coffee house for desert. As Dasmarian said, they've got great views and a nice sculpture garden. Older out of towners typically love the Bluff View area.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,432 times
go to big river grille!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga