Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,603 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

I would love some advice and opinions about Chattanooga's surrounding areas. Within 30 miles of Chattanooga.

A few things are important in my search. I am 29 yr old and single so I will need a town that is safe. I am from a small middle class town of about 17,000 population. I like this town size because it has the necessities i.e. Walmart but still has that friendly small town feeling. Also I am a teacher so I will need an area that rent will not be crazy high. I'm looking at around $500 (is that realistic?). Another thing is I love nature so I would like to be close to areas I could go walking trails, sightseeing, or even take my 2 small dogs out for a day of play.

I have looked at the eastside of the river - Ooltewah, Harrison, or westside of the river - Red Bank, Middle Valley, Hixson, Soddy-Daisy.

I am moving from Central Mississippi and I don't know much about the area. So I am open to all advice and opinions. Good or bad are welcome.

Thanks - Steph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 02:18 PM

13 posts, read 25,123 times
Have information for your specific needs. E-mail me at sim200063@yahoo.com

Old 01-11-2011, 06:32 PM

249 posts, read 654,231 times
There are a few towns around that fit your requirements I think. But I'll discuss each one.

Red Bank is becoming sort of a run down area as of late, and are struggling to keep afloat. They have even discussed getting rid of the city police and letting the county handle it, and going back to an all volunteer fire dept. It is full of cheap apartments that are also run down. There are a few nice places, but not many.

Middle Valley is not a city per se, but just an area in the county outside Chattanooga. It is covered primarily in subdivisions. Most things will require going to Soddy Daisy or Hixson besides gas and groceries (no Walmart).

Soddy Daisy is where I live, so I will try not to be biased. It is a little more convenient to downtown Chattanooga, since a 4 lane highway runs through it. Downsides are it lacks a an actual downtown area, and sidewalks and such.

Hixson for the most part refers to what is now the northern area of the Chattanooga city limits. It has become a fairly crowded area covered with restaurants and shopping like Northgate Mall.

Upsides are all the west side towns will have easy access to the mountains and hiking trails.

Ootlewah/Apison/Collegedale (Tri-Communities) are exploding in growth and are covered with cookie-cutter subdivisions and food/shopping. Good family area, just too suburban for me.

Harrison/Birchwood area is a bit more rural, but lacks the shopping and such, but is an overall nice area.

The east side towns are a bit farther from the mountains and are fairly flat and don't contain any official hiking trails or such.

Most places finding rent for $500 will be tough, except maybe Red Bank, due to the somewhat run down nature. The closer you get to Chattanooga downtown, the more crime you will have to deal with for the most part.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Thank you keith for your reply.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,199,663 times
What part of central MS? That's where I'm from (Stewart, if you can call it a town).

One thing to keep in mind is that all Hamilton County schools, city and county, are administered by the Hamilton County Department of Education. Sale Creek High School (way up north, mostly rural area) is run by the same folks as Brainerd High School (urban school, adjacent to down town).

From the absolute minimum I know about you (next to nothing), I would recommend Soddy Daisy or Sale Creek. Somewhat rural, some shopping, easy access to nature, etc. Yes, there's a Walmart in Soddy. Lots of public land in the valleys cutting into Walden Ridge to the west with hiking/biking trails, waterfalls, swimming holes, etc. A couple of disadvantages, though... you don't want to live there if you like beautiful sunsets, or if you won't be able to stand living fairly close to a nuclear plant (TVA's Sequoya, 5 miles due east of Soddy Daisy). The ridge cuts off the sun in the evenings (long extended twilight period, but not as many beautiful sunsets), and the nuke plant isn't going anywhere. The plant is completely safe, but some people freak out when it gets mentioned; I'd rather you find out now than after you've signed a lease.

My next recommendation would be Ooltewah/Collegedale/Apison. Apison is much more rural (more or a general area instead of a town, no shopping), Ooltewah is a rapidly expanding interstate-exit town (chain restaurants and stores), Collegedale is an older college town. It's an up-and-coming area, though, and because of recent developments (specifically, the Volkswagen Plant), house and rent prices are going up. You also might want to avoid the area if you cannot tolerate Christians with a non-traditional view of what it means to be a Christian. Collegedale is named for the adjacent Southern Adventist University (7th Day Adventist). Most people don't care, but I have seen people freak out when they find out that the local business are closed and most of their neighbors go to church on Saturday (gasp!!) instead of Sunday.

Also keep in mind that 30 miles in rural Mississippi (30-40 minute drive) is nothing at all like 30 miles around Chattanooga. I live 14 miles from downtown. The quickest I can make it home is about 20 minutes (mostly ignoring speed limits, NON-rush-hour traffic). I usually figure 30 minutes for standard commuting, much longer in bad weather.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy Chattanooga!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:11 AM

114 posts, read 389,968 times
[quote=jwkilgore;17483603]
You also might want to avoid the area if you cannot tolerate Christians with a non-traditional view of what it means to be a Christian. QUOTE]

Meaning?? Just curious -not trying to cause waves.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
You also might want to avoid the area if you cannot tolerate Christians with a non-traditional view of what it means to be a Christian.
Meaning?? Just curious -not trying to cause waves.
I guess that might need a little clarification.

It just so happens that a high percentage of residents around Collegedale and Apison are 7th Day Adventists. Personally, this fact doesn't affect me; my wife and I recently bought a residential lot for a future house just south of Apison, and I've spent many afternoons hiking the Biology trails at SAU, or playing with my son at Imagination Station, or riding bicycles with him on the Greenway. The SDA church pretty much believes the same thing as any other main-stream Christian group, except they worship on Saturday instead of Sunday. But I know people who are so set in their beliefs that they believe anyone who doesn't think exactly like they do shouldn't be allowed to call themselves Christians. Many of these people are from where I grew up in Mississippi, and unfortunately many are related to me.

As I said, there is minimal difference between the SDA beliefs and the beliefs of churches more common in rural Mississippi. But I have relatives who would never be comfortable living in an area where businesses are closed on Saturday and open on Sunday and where people refer to Saturday as the Sabbath. I have no idea if the OP is one of those people or not, and I don't care, but because it affects the fundamental "feel" of the community I thought it better to be informed than not.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 01-20-2011 at 11:36 AM..

Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 PM

I am from Clinton which is right next door to Jackson.

I sent in my application earlier this month to the Hamilton County Ed. Dept. I currently work in a very urban low income high school and I would really like a change.

I am moving to Chattanooga area because I am looking for a fresh start. I am interested in finding a place that will welcome a newcomer. I have seen pictures of Soddy-Daisy and it "looks" just right. From what some have told me it sounds like the town I would like to live.

Please tell me more about the nuclear plant. I am not familiar with living around them.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulteacher View Post
Please tell me more about the nuclear plant. I am not familiar with living around them.
It's the same as living anywhere else, except, it's easier to see at night because everything glows in the dark.

Seriously, there's no difference. Property values might be slightly diminished because of it (some people just don't want to live next to one), but that's long been taken into account in the market so it won't affect you at all. Other than the occasional "Sequoya Evacuation Route" signs, and wanting to know what to do in the rare chance that the alarms start going off, you won't even know it's there unless you can see it from where you live.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:11 AM

7 posts, read 15,394 times
It would mostly depend on if you wanted to buy or rent or whatever. Also consider living in the city proper.... Within the city limits, East Brainerd and Hixson are the most suburban, lots of decent apartments and houses. If you want to be trendy, check out the North Shore/North Chatt area or the Southside (south of downtown). St. Elmo is a historical district that has been gentrified recently. If you can afford it, an apartment downtown would be cool. But stay away from the neighborhoods in Brainerd, East Lake, Alton Park and anywhere near Rossville Blvd unless you are entertained by gang members shooting each other in your front yard.

Soddy is okay, there is a Wal-Mart there plus it's close to the Hixson area of Chattanooga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga