Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 09:03 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,960,457 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning on driving over to Chattanooga, from Murfreesboro, soon for a weekday trip.

So far I am thinking we would have fun going to Ruby Falls, Rock City, the Incline Railway, and the aquarium. Are there any other recommendations for a young couple with no kids? We're not looking to do anything like bike while we're there.

I think we'll arrive around 11:00 - 12:00. Would this give us enough time to go to each place and get a bite to eat somewhere?

Also, what are some restaraunt recommendations for the areas we'll be in? I wouldn't mind going a few miles out of the way - I just don't want to drive across town for dinner.

Thanks for any help,

Your friend in middle TN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 09:26 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,765,959 times
You should plan on spending at least 3 hours in the aquarium alone, especially since they added the addition to it (2nd building). Add even more to that if you want to explore the riverfront area around the aquarium, and the Bluff Hill arts district a couple of blocks east of it (galleries, gardens, museum, etc - nice). That alone could be a whole day if you like to take your time with stuff.

Stick with your weekday plans. It's still crowded on a weekday but on weekends some of the attractions like Ruby Falls are insanely crowded. It can take you over an hour or more just go get in those places on a weekend. You want to do it before school starts up again, because alot of schools do field trips to some of these places on weekdays, too.

Rock city involves a lot of stair walking, so if you're not in good shape, think about it. I have a bad leg so can't do that, but even a couple of friends of mine who are in good shape got wore out up there.

For lunch, I recommend "Big River Grille" across from the Aquarium (a block down the street or less, next to a small parking lot). Great food and a really nice exposed brick/wood/beam type of atmosphere.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:45 PM

849 posts, read 2,944,267 times
For lunch, I recommend "Big River Grille" across from the Aquarium (a block down the street or less, next to a small parking lot). Great food and a really nice exposed brick/wood/beam type of atmosphere.

Thanks for the suggestion on where to eat. We'll be staying there in October and that sounds like a great place for our family.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:56 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,653,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post

Thanks for the suggestion on where to eat. We'll be staying there in October and that sounds like a great place for our family.
I had lunch there...good place!

Old 07-25-2007, 10:13 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,960,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
You should plan on spending at least For lunch, I recommend "Big River Grille" across from the Aquarium (a block down the street or less, next to a small parking lot). Great food and a really nice exposed brick/wood/beam type of atmosphere.

Thanks for the recommendation!

My wife and I took the trip yesterday and we had a really good time. All we ended up doing was the aquarium, seeing an iMax movie, and walking around downtown.

Before we left we ate at the Big River Grille. It was awesome and a great deal! I printed off a good coupon from Chattanoogafun.com so we had a chesee jalapeno dip, shared an excellent pizza, a beer sampler, and a tip for $22. Everything was really good there.

I really liked Chattanooga. I think we'll go back in the fall and do more of the rock city type stuff.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:45 AM

We're driving through Chattanooga tonight on our way to Lookout Mountain. what exit is Big River Grille on off of I - 75?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:12 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,620,087 times
4th street exit. Here's a mapquest from I24:

Driving Directions from 2500 Dodds Ave, Chattanooga, TN to 222 Broad St, Chattanooga, TN

Old 07-27-2007, 04:58 AM

Thanks for the recommendation on the Big River Grille. My wife and I went last night and enjoyed our meals. She had the hazelnut crusted chicken and I had the southern fried chicken salad. Both were excellent, though the waitresses all kept saying that her meal was their favorite.

For those that like different beer flavors, (I count myself in that group) they had an 8 beer sampler with all of those microbrews. No, I didn't have 8 beers, but 8 beer shot glasses if you will. I like the Vienna brew they had the best followed by the Iron Horse Stout(like Guiness). The IPA and pale ale had too much of an aftertaste and is typically one of my favorite styles so I was a little disappointed.

Then after our meal, we walked the downtown, heard the Lookouts playing, the seventh inning stretch, went to the river, it was all just beautiful. We are driving back down this morning in about 30 minutes to go run the trail along the river...and work off those 8 beers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga