Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 10:51 AM

55 posts, read 120,673 times

Advertisements

Hi, we have decided on an area in Chattanooga but we are building so won't be in for 6-12 months - we will be renting until then. Any suggestions on Catholic churches in the area of Amberleigh Ridge apts. and then Cummings Cove? Thanks for your help and insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 01:00 PM

352 posts, read 879,005 times
Not sure in those areas, but , St. Stephens Catholic Church on Lee Hwy is a wonderful family church. If you have kids, they have great kids programs. Call them and check it out. You will love the priest there.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:52 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,854,049 times
Smile Hixon or Soddy

A.G.: Those apt locations unsure. What neighborhood.? There is a bigger St JUDE, in south Hixon , Lupton city area off, ASHLAND Terrace connecting to red Bank.
.. Further north in Soddy off Dayton pike , north of Wal Mart,, is our farm church , Holy Spirit , Very new high on hill like a ski lodge. .We have 55 acres of a former farm with barn & pavilion. . Pvt msg if you need times or dates.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:32 PM

340 posts, read 1,504,755 times
If you happen to be from the North then you will find the Catholic churches here to have a Southern stlye in their ceremony. That's great if you like that and I'm not saying there is anything wrong at all with the ceremonies, but if you are looking from something more traditional Saints Peter and Paul downtown is probably the closest to a more by the book service but its an older crowd too.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,709 times
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church on South Moore Road is great. East Ridge/Brainerd area.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:12 PM

Thanks for all the insights everyone - probably best to visit all of the ones listed depending on how far they are. Since writing we have put in an offer on an existing home and will be moving to CC sooner. It's seven minutes to downtown. Not sure of the area of town but it's called Cummings Cove and Black Creek Golf club is there.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:52 PM

243 posts, read 689,129 times
I'll have to disagree with the St. Stephen's recommendation. My parents and I used to go to that church (since I was about 10. . .I'm now 25) until the current priest came. Now, they (I don't live in Chattanooga anymore) either go downtown or to Cleveland. I'm unimpressed with a priest who states that he's glad when Lent is over with.

Anyway, Aggie, Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church is probably your best bet! There is also Our Lady of the Mount. They're located off of Scenic Hwy in Lookout Mountain, GA. This appears to be close to CC as well.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 PM

Thanks so much Blindsolitude - I love older downtown churches or really small neighborhood ones. Finally getting excited about moving from NJ!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:10 PM

352 posts, read 879,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsolitude View Post
I'll have to disagree with the St. Stephen's recommendation. My parents and I used to go to that church (since I was about 10. . .I'm now 25) until the current priest came. Now, they (I don't live in Chattanooga anymore) either go downtown or to Cleveland. I'm unimpressed with a priest who states that he's glad when Lent is over with.

Anyway, Aggie, Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church is probably your best bet! There is also Our Lady of the Mount. They're located off of Scenic Hwy in Lookout Mountain, GA. This appears to be close to CC as well.

Was that Father Diaz? Not to laugh, but that is pretty funny. He is generally down to earth and probably meant with all the work he had to do he was glad he could finally rest. Plus a very good friend of his passed away (if that was this past lent) and was doing the service for her during this period and had to put off his first vacation in a long time to do this for her family.
He is very comical and comes with a laymans attitude. Since I attended OLPH and Notre Dame, 6 days a week were filled with the same ol monotone priests with no personalities. I enjoy the freshness and realness that Father Diaz brings to his congregation. He has personality which I appreciate.
This is just my opinion and in no way is meant to debate which church or which pastor is better than any. Going to church by its own right is a decision of each individual based on visiting and deciding for his or herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga