Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2006, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,684 times

Advertisements

We're looking to relocate from NYC to Tennessee and are looking at Chattanooga because of the artist community for my wife. I'm self employed as a "computer guy" that handles all PC's, small networks, etc for small lawfirms, small product distributors, etc.

Now I have no problem with lower pay the area has to offer, but would like some input about the IT situation in Chattanooga. Will we starve? LOL

Maintaining small businesses is my bread and butter, just wondering if there's enough to survive on.

My customers love the personal attention I give them, unlike the DELL experience of talking to someone in India, and having a twitchy guy come the next day to swap parts, and looks at you cross-eyed if you're having a problem with your mouse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2006, 12:27 PM

11 posts, read 61,190 times
I am looking to move out of TN after living here 20+ years.
When I was doing searches using criteria such as growth potential, quality of life, crime, entrepreneurial activity, housing affordability, jobs, best areas to live.........Chattanooga popped up in a lot of my research. Even though TN does not have a state tax, we have one of the highest sales taxes in the nation. Government/politics is something else you should consider, I live in a small town and the "powers that be" think nothing of trampling all over your civil and constitutional rights. I also think "southern hospitality" is a myth, I have always found people out West to be much more friendly.
If I were to consider staying in this state, I would move to Chattanooga or Knoxville.
I am heading West.........Southwest!!

Old 03-14-2006, 08:33 PM

27 posts, read 187,650 times
Hey Jillian, Where do you live in TN? Sorry to hear that you gotta go, hopefully you will find better people. Maine is far, but the nicest people in the world are there. Conversations are very easily initiated by them and they seem very sicere. It is just too expensive there and toooo cold.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:11 AM

77 posts, read 305,743 times
Jillian-

Since you've been there 20+ yrs. perhaps you may know, or heard something/anything about the EPA & health problems around Chattanooga ?

Thank You,

sleeper

Old 01-22-2008, 07:38 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
the air quality has improved dramatically since the 60's. This is one clean city!

Old 02-08-2008, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
the air quality has improved dramatically since the 60's. This is one clean city!
Chattanooga is an extremely clean city now. It is literally known on a world scale for being able to turn things around environmentally.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:34 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
I think an IT guy looking to build up personal/business clientele could do well here...if they join the Chamber of Commerce and are willing to network, network, network!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga