Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 11:40 PM

214 posts, read 871,937 times

Advertisements

hello everyone first off i'm moving from california to chattanooga tennessee sometime nexts year pending on the out come of my disability with social security. so some of my question are what is the avg price for a nice 1bedroom apartment just from looking online i seen 1 bedroom apartments going between $420-500 is that about right. 2nd question whats the humidity like in chattanooga during the summer, because i'm not used to ya'll big nasty southern bugs...... oh no bugs.....were is my raid......enough of my jokes 3rd question whats the drive like going from chattanooga to altanta ga if i want to go to a hawks game stuff like that. and my last question is as a single white male i also have a son who is black so if my son comes out to see me i don't want people looking at me all funny and all when im around my son.....also is the interracial dating some what open out there say if i met a good black women out there or should i stay some what towards my own race out there because like i said im not looking for any trouble once i move out there......thanks for your help and if anyone can post up any picture of chattanooga of some of the neigherbor hood of just to get a general ideal what the area looks like would be great thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 08:04 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebreezy View Post
hello everyone first off i'm moving from california to chattanooga tennessee sometime nexts year pending on the out come of my disability with social security. so some of my question are what is the avg price for a nice 1bedroom apartment just from looking online i seen 1 bedroom apartments going between $420-500 is that about right. 2nd question whats the humidity like in chattanooga during the summer, because i'm not used to ya'll big nasty southern bugs...... oh no bugs.....were is my raid......enough of my jokes 3rd question whats the drive like going from chattanooga to altanta ga if i want to go to a hawks game stuff like that. and my last question is as a single white male i also have a son who is black so if my son comes out to see me i don't want people looking at me all funny and all when im around my son.....also is the interracial dating some what open out there say if i met a good black women out there or should i stay some what towards my own race out there because like i said im not looking for any trouble once i move out there......thanks for your help and if anyone can post up any picture of chattanooga of some of the neigherbor hood of just to get a general ideal what the area looks like would be great thanks again
Check out the Chattanooga Relocation site that recently went "live" for info on the city, and answers to your housing questions. chattanooga

Humidity & bugs are something you'll have to experience on your own. We're moving from Florida and think the (lack of) humidity will suit us just fine, but everyone is different.

I drove up from Atlanta last week, and it took approximately 90 minutes during off-peak time. Rush hour can get a little crazy so you may need to pad extra time (2 hours) for the busy times.

Regarding your son, people are people and you could get stares in LA, NY, or Miami on any given day. My brother has a mixed family and after a while you just tend to not pay attention to that stuff. My impression is Tennessee is not backwards--just conservative & old-fashioned in some respects.

If you find a good woman, then congratulations to you!

Old 08-21-2007, 03:17 PM

10 posts, read 58,286 times
It can and does get very humid from Spring through Summer. Our temps just this last week were in the 100's and the humidity was 84%.
But that is not the norm here. It's usually around 30%-60%. And temps in the high 80's to low 90's at this time of year.
We do have terrible mosquito's from Spring til Fall. Depending on the plant population and moisture where you are ..you could run into more or less of them.
We personally have to wear bug spray in the afteroons from May-Early September. But we are in a rich moisture area and lots of plants. They are a true pain in the butt!!

Avg. price of apartments..... looks like you have the right quote on that.

Drive to Altanta...really about 1.5 hours -2 hours depending on what time of day you go. You want to avoid Atlanta rush hour traffic at all costs. it's crazy!!

There are more and more interracial couples and families popping up in Chattanooga and out lying areas. I would not worry too much about that. The blacks seem to be more predujice about that than any one else. But like i said, really not anything to worry about.

If you want pics just do a google search for chattanooga images. Also some of the different areas of Chattanooga include:
Hixson
East Brainard
Signal Mtn
Soddy Daisy
Down town Chattanooga
Ooltewah
Collegedale
Red Bank
East Ridge
St. Elmo
Look Out Mtn
Missonary Ridge
Look Out Valley
Harrison

Godd Luck!!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 PM

8 posts, read 39,279 times
My family noticed that there seemed to be quite a few mixed families here. The traffic to Atlanta is about 2 hours, but don't go during Atlanta's rush hour times. To view good pictures of Chattanooga, go to: FindChatt.com and click on Photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga