U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:21 AM

325 posts, read 366,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
If your child's class is full of kids whose parents always make sure homework is done, meals are nutritious, vitamins are taken, and sleep is adequate, then that class as a whole pays more attention and the teacher can go forward instead of having to repeat what should have been learned yesterday.

yep, that would be the honor classes, LOL. Funny thing, in kindergarten, my daughters teacher told me that she was way behind other kids and I might want to think about holding her back.....I didn't hold her back, and that girl made straight A's all the way to graduation! Teachers have so much on there hands, they just don't see the potential as much as a parent would. Which is why it is important to make sure your child isn't missing any opportunities that could be provided! Mine even took all 3 science classes Freshman year. They didn't want her to, but I told them to give her a chance. She made A's of course!
Had I known about Chattanooga States Middle College High School, we would had been there. Which is why you have to find out about the opportunities. At the Middle College, generally by sophmore year they can apply. They are given the classes for a HS diploma at the same time they are taking college courses. They might go 3 times a week, just like college. By the time they have there diploma for high school, they also have a 2 year degree! Imagine, by the time they are eligible to apply for scholarships they only have 2 years left to complete a 4 year degree! Coming out with a 4 year degree with zero college debt, can't be beat and they are 2 years ahead of most people there age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 10:26 AM

48 posts, read 57,761 times
I have two teenagers, and before the new East Hamilton Middle/High School was built, they attended Ooltewah Middle School. They were happy at Ooltewah Middle, but were so thrilled when East Hamilton opened. The kids had told us that Ooltewah High School had some gangs. We have been extremely happy with East Hamilton Middle/High School. The Ooltewah High School building is very old.

I would definitely choose Soddy Daisy Middle/High over Ooltewah and that traffic in Ooltewah is bad. Or Signal Mountain Middle High or East Hamilton Middle High. East Hamilton serves several zip codes (37363, 37421, and 37302. East Hamilton school zone is within 6 to 8 miles of Hamilton Place Mall.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:45 PM

325 posts, read 366,011 times
Just an FYI about East Hamilton and Signal Mtn .....those two schools have had their police calls(one more than some inner schools), and believe me, the gangs are there. The difference, is how out of hand it gets. Being new schools and polished n such, other things don't stand out.
These schools just don't get published as much. I am sure a few phone calls would get you the stats.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:12 PM

48 posts, read 57,761 times
Going back to the original question: quality of schools. Hamilton County Schools does offer Honors and AP courses and dual enrollment to college while attending H.S. But the honest truth is that the two most highly desirable public schools in the Chattanooga area are Signal Mountain Middle/High and East Hamilton Middle/High. Soddy Daisy is a close third. No one from here will come out and say it, because they are loyal to their zoned school, etc. Check out GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community to look some of them up. Not sure if East Hamilton in on there yet, but it will show you how the schools are ranked against each other. Greatschools shows test scores, teacher/student ratio, demographics, reviews, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga