U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 AM

6 posts, read 15,380 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

So for several years now my husband and I have talked about moving up to TN to start a farm. Our first thoughts were in the Nashville area. Love the city, recently got married there. However, the land seems to be quite expensive, and the traffic terrible.

We have recently started looking at Chattanooga and have fallen in love with it. Beautiful city, smaller than Atlanta (very good thing!), nice people. The land seems more reasonable there too.

Ideally we are looking for property west or north of the city, I hear traffic is better than over on the eastern side. Also fell in love with Cowan when we visited. Franklin Co. in general sounds nice. Liked South Pittsburg too.

We are looking for a small town that is within commuting distance of Chattanooga. I would be traveling there for at least a little while until we can get our future farm up and running. Husband will be traveling all over so commute doesn't matter as much for him. Want a lovely homey town. Parades, festivals, cafes a plus. Something "Mayberryish". Close to mountains and water, which seems to be just about everywhere around Chatt.

Any thoughts on Cowan or South Pittsburg? Anyone live/commute from these places? Cowan seems a little far out there, but boy it looks nice. Other towns you suggest? We look to make the move in 2yrs, so this is our scouting phase right now. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:33 AM

352 posts, read 765,383 times
Dayton TN, Rhea County, sounds like a place you want to check out. I don't live there, have been there quite a bit, and it is "Mayberryish" I really love the town, reminds you of that old town. Plus they have the strawberry festival every year! YUMMY
They do parades/festivals of some sorts all thru the year I believe, for various holidays, events, etc.
Plus, it is home to the Scopes Trial! can't beat that history!
good luck!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,152 times
BTW, I moved from Chattanooga to Athens, TN and love the place. It's halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville. Not too much traffic. Quaint, small-town atmosphere. Easy access to Decatur and Dayton and the mountains (Ocoee, Tellico, Hiwassee). Plus we have 'Pumpkintown' and 'Moo-fest'. LOL

Old 01-19-2012, 07:04 AM

6 posts, read 15,380 times
I will check out Dayton, and rethink my stance on the eastern side. It is certainly beautiful over there.

Will have to check out the Strawberry festival and Moofest!

Old 01-20-2012, 11:17 AM

2,890 posts, read 4,173,109 times
The eastern side has more traffic in general because more people live over there, and live farther out. I work with several people who live in Trenton, or on Sand Mountain above Trenton, Jasper, etc. The problem with traffic from the west is that you have a bottleneck created by the TN River and various mountains and ridges. Just west of downtown you have I-24 down by the river and Hwy 11/41/64 which goes over the "toe" of Lookout Mountain. Farther west you have I-24 snaking through several tall ridges plus Hwy 41/64 which follows the TN river.

If you know about a traffic snarl ahead of time, you can take a back route... except that you usually don't know about a snarl until it's too late. Going home in the evening, once you don't see the line of brake lights backing up around Moccasin Bend until you're past the Hwy-27 bridge, and the next exit is several miles away. Coming in to work, once you go past the last exit at Nickajack Lake, you're stuck for several miles.

I'm not saying you should avoid the west side. On the contrary, the west side has far fewer traffic problems than the east. I live east and I don't even consider getting on I-24 between 4:30 and 6:30pm (I take the tunnels through Missionary Ridge). Just that when the problems on the east side do occur (multiple times a week) there are multiple alternate routes available; just take the next exit 1/2 mile away. On the west, you're stuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga