Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 03:45 PM

230 posts, read 385,891 times

Advertisements

I am interviewing for a position in Chattanooga, and am interested in what the city is like. I grew up in Tennessee but have been gone for several years. I like neighborhoods that are racially diverse, full of independently owned shops and hole in the wall restaurants and bars. "Ethnic" enclaves are a plus, like neighborhoods/streets full of Mexican tiendas and restaurants. I'm looking for progressive areas a la farmers markets, thrift stores, record stores, walkable, urban, community oriented. Crime and a neighborhood's "reputation" are nonissues. Does this exist in Chattanooga?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 04:43 PM

611 posts, read 1,998,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer33 View Post
I am interviewing for a position in Chattanooga, and am interested in what the city is like. I grew up in Tennessee but have been gone for several years. I like neighborhoods that are racially diverse, full of independently owned shops and hole in the wall restaurants and bars. "Ethnic" enclaves are a plus, like neighborhoods/streets full of Mexican tiendas and restaurants. I'm looking for progressive areas a la farmers markets, thrift stores, record stores, walkable, urban, community oriented. Crime and a neighborhood's "reputation" are nonissues. Does this exist in Chattanooga?
The closest thing you will find is the "Southside" Main Street area. It's not Full of these things. But, these type of things are there. There are some art shops, bicycle shops, tiendas, Mexican Restaurants, Breweries, Cajun Restaurant, Coffee Shops, Bread Shop, Chocolate Shop, A new Local Grocery Store is slated for construction, Crossfit Gym (get BUILT), and of course some small neighborhoods. I don't think there is a record store. There is one on Vine Street (Chad's Records and CD's) which is several blocks away. Very community oriented, walkable and urban.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:02 PM

230 posts, read 385,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverView View Post
The closest thing you will find is the "Southside" Main Street area. It's not Full of these things. But, these type of things are there. There are some art shops, bicycle shops, tiendas, Mexican Restaurants, Breweries, Cajun Restaurant, Coffee Shops, Bread Shop, Chocolate Shop, A new Local Grocery Store is slated for construction, Crossfit Gym (get BUILT), and of course some small neighborhoods. I don't think there is a record store. There is one on Vine Street (Chad's Records and CD's) which is several blocks away. Very community oriented, walkable and urban.
A quick Southside Chattanooga google search, and this looks like a neighborhood definitely worth checking out. Great suggestion, thanks. Any others?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:07 PM

611 posts, read 1,998,469 times
Quote:
A quick Southside Chattanooga google search, and this looks like a neighborhood definitely worth checking out. Great suggestion, thanks. Any others?
Not really. North Chattanooga is similar but may not be urban enough for you. I live there and it's got the pubs, a Mexican Restaurant or 2, art galleries, pricier restaurants. Absolutely walkable. It has the Parks and you can walk / ride to downtown from most anyplace in N Chatt. Just pick a bridge and head across the river. I rode my road bike to the market this past Sunday. It was 3.7 Mi. The Market is almost in the Southside.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:08 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily agree that those things you mention are exclusive to "progressive" neighborhoods. The reason I use quotes is because a lot of times the word is used without a full understanding of its meaning. "Progressive" really has become synonymous with a certain way of voting.

But it's true that most of those things are in either the South Main or Northshore areas. Perhaps the most "progressive" member of the TN State House (Andy Berke) comes from the Northshore area. You'd probably feel right at home in that part of town. Don't overlook the options downtown, especially near the museum and UTC, where many new apartments and condos have been built in recent years.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,401 times
I think I have an idea of what you are looking for, I grew up in California and I have been searching for good Mexican food and the same kind of vibe. Taqueria Jalisco in the "Southside" is a great place, it used to be just a trailer but now they have a very tiny building attached. Insyde Outsyde in Redbank has great furniture at reasonable prices, I bought a cool 50's coffee table for $20 and they had an art deco bar with all the swizzle sticks for $100. Collective Clothing has amazing deals on clothes, sometimes they have fill a plastic bag for $5 day - I stopped going though because it was filled with beautiful hipsters that insisted on dressing like the homeless. I did get an amazing Woolworths wool long sleeve button down for $3 which has come in so handy in the winter. There are also progressive christian churches but I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga