U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 03:08 PM

468 posts, read 521,115 times

Advertisements

Since I'm determined to move south next year, my biggest decision is choosing between TN and FL.
I have lived in north FL and love the weather there, but there are many reasons that TN might be a better area for us to relocate to than FL.
I hate cold and snow.
So several times a day I check the temps and current conditions in TN, and honestly it doesn't seem like it's consistantly that much warmer than here in central IL, at least for the past week or so.
We haven't had any measurable snow here yet, but have seen flurries. I haven't seen the sun shine for over a week. Just gray and cloudy and cold and depressing.
Right now the weather channel says there is snow falling in the Chattanooga/Cleveland area.
I know TN isn't FL, but I was thinking it would be a *little* better than IL
So how do you natives view this winter so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 05:10 PM

1,697 posts, read 5,892,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
So several times a day I check the temps and current conditions in TN, and honestly it doesn't seem like it's consistantly that much warmer than here in central IL, at least for the past week or so.
You may be overthinking the winter weather issue a bit. By its very nature, weather is variable in TN and most other states, and that's why long-term climate trends are much more important than short-term weather.

Not sure exactly where you are in IL but, FWIW, here's Springfield's weather so far this month vs. Chattanooga's:

Springfield
avg. high: 47.0
avg. low: 32.0
daily average: 39.2
departure from normal: +8.8
number of cloudy days: 13
precipitation: 3.10"
frozen precip: 3.0"

Chattanooga
avg. high: 58.2
avg. low: 40.4
daily average: 49.3
departure from normal: +6.5
number of cloudy days: 7
precipitation: 5.49"
frozen precip: trace

Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 PM

1,251 posts, read 4,286,675 times
M.G. Yes , there were snow flurries this afternoon in north hamilton county.. Not sticking on ground ,
high 20's overnight ,,, Sooo a typical am , would check be careful for icy driveway , etc... We had left Florida
6 years ago.. Overall for the year, I would recommend Chattanooga for friends / relatives over Florida.
Jan & 1st two weeks of Feb would be attractive for Fla, but at least nine months would vote for TN , at least South East section here.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I am in Champaign-Urbana, about an hour east of Springfield.
I get frustrated with the averages, because yes we did have some record highs at the beginning of the month (low 70's) but it's been below normal for the past 2 weeks. I just know how I *feel* and it's cold, and has been for weeks now.
No question that I am "over thinking" the weather issue so I really appreciate getting the viewpoints of people who are actually experiencing it.
The weather in FL was relatively boring.
Here in IL it is crazy exciting. Tornadoes, blizzards, ice storms and temperatures that vary wildly from day to day, sometimes hour to hour. The summer humidity rivals that of FL.
I suspect TN weather is similar, but (hopefully) a little milder in the extremes.
Maybe I feel colder here because I'm in the middle of corn fields and there is almost always a stiff breeze blowing across the prairie with absolutely nothing to block it.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 AM

This morning it is 3 degrees with a windchill of -3 here in IL.
TN looks MUCH warmer in comparison

Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM

2,792 posts, read 3,895,415 times
I used to live in Kansas City and now live in Chattanooga. The weather extremes in both locations are similar. One summer in KC there was a week straight of 100+ highs. It's about the same in Chattanooga. I don't remember it snowing much at all last year, but two winters ago in Chattanooga there were 3-4 "winter weather" events that affected the roads. A couple of them affected the roads for more than 24 hours, and icy roads stranded me in my house (steep hills in and out) for 2 days once. The worst winter weather event I remember from KC only affected roads 4 days, and I was never trapped.

But while the extremes will be similar, the number of extremes are different. In general there will be more extreme warm days here and fewer extreme cold days. Winter weather events that affect travel will range from 0-3 per year (maybe one or two more if you live on a mountain) as opposed to 2-6 times per year in Indiana.

Your typical COLD low around here is in the 20's, but with lows in the teens more rare. But that doesn't mean you won't get a single digit every now and then.

Last edited by jwkilgore; 01-02-2013 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-02-2013, 05:18 PM

600 posts, read 1,951,397 times
I moved to Chattanooga after spending 15 years in Florida. I lived in Tampa and Fort Lauderdale.
vehicle insurance is twice the price in Florida that I pay here and homeowners insurance, if you can get it, is about 5 times more in Florida. That is no joke, nor is it an exaggeration.

I wouldn't even think of going back to Florida, and before I moved there it was a place I always wanted to live. It's not all about the weather. There are way to many negatives about Florida, including the year round oppressive heat.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4icmusic View Post
I moved to Chattanooga after spending 15 years in Florida. I lived in Tampa and Fort Lauderdale.
vehicle insurance is twice the price in Florida that I pay here and homeowners insurance, if you can get it, is about 5 times more in Florida. That is no joke, nor is it an exaggeration.

I wouldn't even think of going back to Florida, and before I moved there it was a place I always wanted to live. It's not all about the weather. There are way to many negatives about Florida, including the year round oppressive heat.
Before we returned to my home state of IL 6 years ago, we lived for 20 years in north FL (near Tallahassee). I didn't mind the summer heat and humidity, and we did have 4 distinct seasons but no snow or extended bitter cold in the winter. It was pretty much the ideal climate for me.
Definitely FL auto and homeowners insurance are more expensive than IL or TN.
Our property taxes in rural north FL were comparable to what I see for TN.
There numerous reasons that it would make more sense for us to move to TN rather than back to north FL. The only real issue for me is the weather/temperatures, so I very much appreciate the responses and continued tolerance towards my questions, as ridiculous as they may at times seem.
I hate fall and winter in IL.
I am cold and miserable and depressed from mid-September until the end of March.
I suppose that what I am looking for is some kind of reassurance that I won't be AS cold for AS long as I am here in IL. That is what my research seems to indicate, but the 'real life' opinions of those who are actually experiencing it, is invaluable to me.
I'm also thinking that FL would be an easy weekend trip from TN if I wanted to get away and be warmer in the winter, at least for a few days

Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 PM

246 posts, read 500,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I am cold and miserable and depressed from mid-September until the end of March. I suppose that what I am looking for is some kind of reassurance that I won't be AS cold for AS long as I am here in IL. That is what my research seems to indicate, but the 'real life' opinions of those who are actually experiencing it, is invaluable to me.
I'm also thinking that FL would be an easy weekend trip from TN if I wanted to get away and be warmer in the winter, at least for a few days
For a couple years I lived near Cincinnati, and the difference in weather was that winter seemed to last about 2 months longer. In Chattanooga, it doesn't really start to get cool until November, and it starts coming out of it by the beginning of March. Of course, there will always be weird temperature spikes outside that period, but on the contrast, it was nearly 80 degrees in late October this year. Additionally, temperatures here usually hover around 10 degrees warmer than in Cincinnati, which I assume has similar weather to southern IL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga