Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:59 AM

15 posts, read 38,756 times

Advertisements

Relocating to the Chattanooga or Cleveland areas, wanted to post what I have found out & ask for a little more information on the Ooltewah area. So far we have found that rentals in Cleveland (in the area we were hoping to live) go very quickly because of Lee University. So now I'm focusing more on Ooltewah as a back up plan. I have used Google to determine where things are. I would like to share that information for others who are considering a move to the area. Distances to stores, libraries, restaurants is very important to me because I really dislike small town living. Currently I drive 45 min to the mall with unhappy kids in car seats, I'm so done with this lifestyle!!

Restaurants in Ooltewah include Subway, Wendy's, Burger King, Captain D's. (there must be more?)
Stores/Groceries in Ooltewah include Walmart Supercenter, Publix, Bi-Lo
They have a Walgreens Pharmacy (I'm sure there are more?)
They have several banks including Regions.

Other places important to me include a public library in Ooltewah & nearby Flagstone Community Pool, Gymnastics Center-Chattanooga-both are 7 min from the midpoint in Ooltewah according to Google directions.

A few things I mapped based on my preferences:
13 min to a Dunkin Donuts
11 min to Hamilton Place Mall
12 min to Target
13 min to Panera Bread
23 min to Tennessee Aquarium
23 min to Chattanooga Riverwalk
24 min to Chattanooga Zoo

I have researched the schools in Ooltewah & found that they test very well! However the parent reviews are very mixed and some are downright terrible. I have a VERY smart soon to be Junior in high school & two small children that will be enrolled eventually so all schools K-12 are important to me.

Anyone have experience with this school system that they would care to share?
Does Ooltewah have a walkable downtown with coffee shops/cafes?
Is Ooltewah only walkable in the housing subdivisions via sidewalks?
Is my above information correct?
Anything else you can add about Ooltewah would be fantastic Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 03:47 PM

13 posts, read 29,011 times
Thumbs up In the same boat

Annie02013,
You've brought up some great questions--I'm looking in the same area and look forward to reading the response.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:26 PM

611 posts, read 1,998,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieO2013 View Post
Relocating to the Chattanooga or Cleveland areas, wanted to post what I have found out & ask for a little more information on the Ooltewah area. So far we have found that rentals in Cleveland (in the area we were hoping to live) go very quickly because of Lee University. So now I'm focusing more on Ooltewah as a back up plan. I have used Google to determine where things are. I would like to share that information for others who are considering a move to the area. Distances to stores, libraries, restaurants is very important to me because I really dislike small town living. Currently I drive 45 min to the mall with unhappy kids in car seats, I'm so done with this lifestyle!!

Restaurants in Ooltewah include Subway, Wendy's, Burger King, Captain D's. (there must be more?)
Stores/Groceries in Ooltewah include Walmart Supercenter, Publix, Bi-Lo
They have a Walgreens Pharmacy (I'm sure there are more?)
They have several banks including Regions.

Other places important to me include a public library in Ooltewah & nearby Flagstone Community Pool, Gymnastics Center-Chattanooga-both are 7 min from the midpoint in Ooltewah according to Google directions.

A few things I mapped based on my preferences:
13 min to a Dunkin Donuts
11 min to Hamilton Place Mall
12 min to Target
13 min to Panera Bread
23 min to Tennessee Aquarium
23 min to Chattanooga Riverwalk
24 min to Chattanooga Zoo

I have researched the schools in Ooltewah & found that they test very well! However the parent reviews are very mixed and some are downright terrible. I have a VERY smart soon to be Junior in high school & two small children that will be enrolled eventually so all schools K-12 are important to me.

Anyone have experience with this school system that they would care to share?
Does Ooltewah have a walkable downtown with coffee shops/cafes?
Is Ooltewah only walkable in the housing subdivisions via sidewalks?
Is my above information correct?
Anything else you can add about Ooltewah would be fantastic Thanks!!
Holy Smokes! I'll try to answer some of these:

Rentals in our entire area go very fast. Especially affordable 3/2 houses. Very low supply and very high demand. Thank you economic downturn, foreclosures, tight lending practices by banks, VW, Wacker, Amazon and other moving to the area.

Beef O'brady's (sp?) is also in Ooltewah and probably a small mom and pop diner. Also you have the Hamilton Place area 11 - 15 min away with has many of the major chain restaurants.

I'm pretty sure there is a CVS Drug store too and probably another one or two.

There are more banks in the area.

I can't comment on the schools.

Your drive times are fairly close but in real world conditions they will be a bit longer and also depending on what side of Ooltewah you end up. If you are in the Snow Hill Area down Mountain Valley RD the drive will be longer. There are several nice new communities in that area too.

There is no cute little walkable downtown area with coffee shops, etc. Your best bet for that will be Downtown Chattanooga, the Waterfront area of Downtown Chattanooga and the North Shore Area. Ooltewah is a very scenic and pretty area thought but cool urban hipness. Most of the communities / neighborhoods do have sidewalks and community areas to play in.

Hope all that helps.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 AM

Riverview, very helpful! Thank you! If anyone else can comment on the schools that would be great. Chigirl629 & I will be waiting patiently, lol

Old 03-21-2013, 11:06 AM

611 posts, read 1,998,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieO2013 View Post
Riverview, very helpful! Thank you! If anyone else can comment on the schools that would be great. Chigirl629 & I will be waiting patiently, lol
I would but there are there these liability issues.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,874,462 times
Exclamation Schools .?

..Hamilton co SCHOOLS , is almost a daily topic in the newspaper & evening tv news.. There have
been some board personnel changes & teacher re-balance recently (?)
. HOWEVER most adults are pushing for higher electronic standards in our city.. There is a goal to
have a I-PAD for every 4,000 students in the district.. Some already have these in certain Charter
classes. some teachers have bought on own, (Recent article about a discontinued Dell smart - phone
at $2 apiece for foreign language translators.) Twenty units. ?

Future appitude , state ranking, should be taken on these tablets.. Not sure yet if screen has to remain in class , partial share with another sutdent,/ etc.. Always asking for corp sponsorship donations. !
. OUr hanmilton county has recent been CBS tv featured as the county wide upgrade fasted Gig internet
start-up geek new business employment , etc..This city is growing.

The public schools will always have pockets of less motivated students, Class sleepers.. A few years ago
I believe the high school non - graduation rate was around 25 %. (?) . If the parent can afford or ask for tuition assistance the Private route is the fast track into college acceptance. I.M.O. past articles here.

Future residents can always read the Times Free Press On lIne every day to keep abreast./ learn towns.
New shcools are being built every year for many $$ .. Ask your real estate agent where the newest
ones are located. / :Planned. Again their have been many TV heated re-district battles over a 300 - 400 yard boundary line on a street.

About two weeks ago there was a brief TV segment where a Hixson Girl was offered a $ 120 ,K Scholar-ship to a North Carolina college.
Did not notice the neswpaper link.. Did not catch the High School name. Adults / parents / churches here are motivated for their youth,
however in sports there is a saying "The apple does not fall far from the Tree"..

Last edited by SPLIT; 03-22-2013 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: extra info

Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 AM

Just wanted to add a quick update My husband visited the area & decided that we better stick with Cleveland even if it takes awhile to find a rental. He said there is "nothing" in Ooltewah except houses. He said it kind of felt like where we live now except it is a closer drive to get to everything. So Cleveland here we come!!! Thanks again for the responses on Ooltewah

Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM

13 posts, read 29,011 times
Congrats Annie02013! I wish you and your family much happiness in Cleveland!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 PM

70 posts, read 213,200 times
Annie,
Let me know if you have any specific questions about Cleveland. I"ll be glad to help you where I can.
--Rick

Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Thanks ChiGirl629 Have you decided where to live yet?

Rick, I will be in Cleveland by the end of April, still figuring out the logistics. I may have more questions once I get there. The company my husband will be working for has been wonderful so far & are actually helping us find a rental! I'm very excited about getting there and learning my way around, meeting people etc. Thanks for all the help so far, much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga