Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 01:57 PM

24 posts, read 74,597 times

Advertisements

My family and I moved from Upstate NY to Athens, TN in March. After being here for 6 months I am having the realization I have made a mistake. There is nothing here. No jobs, no night life, no day life, no clubs or organizations, there is absolutely nothing going on here. The city pool is empty every day. The library is empty, save a few student from the college. I can't find a job to save my life, and that fact may be the reason I get stuck here. I went to the city looking for work in the parks or highway department. They won't even let you fill out an application. I am stuck here and now I can't get the resources to move away. I don't know what to do. Factory jobs are paying $8 an hour, service even less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 03:29 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,764 times
Well, the rural areas of TN dont have much job opportunity unfortunately. I guess you could try finding jobs in the Chattanooga, or Knoxville, metro areas. I know it's a long drive but those two areas offer more jobs.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:32 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
You moved without a job?

Why do people do this?

Old 08-24-2013, 05:33 PM

24 posts, read 74,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
You moved without a job?

Why do people do this?
I prepaid 6 months rent, thought it wouldn't be a problem. Things don't go 100% perfect, find me one company that will employ you without coming into an interview. Most of the time that happens it's a transfer. But I have experience in several fields, the local grocery store isn't even hiring.

If you have something more like that to contribute, please don't.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:47 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
How did you choose Athens?

Old 08-24-2013, 06:49 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
You dont have to move your family to a new town to get an interview. Why didnt you just come to Athens yourself, get a motel room, stay a few weeks and interview. You likely would have come to the same conclusions in 2 weeks that you did in 6 months about Athens. Start looking for jobs nationally, visit areas that have low employment....go to major metropolitan areas, Atlanta maybe? that seems within driving distance of Athens.

Sheesh, Athens??? Really????

Old 08-24-2013, 06:57 PM

132 posts, read 191,660 times
I can see why you most likely chose Athens... it's exactly half-way between Chat and Knox. If that was your intent, it makes sense to me if you want to drive an hour to get to where the jobs may be and I applaud your commitment to "making it work" if that's what you are doing. If you are not looking that far out from Athens and getting frustrated, that is why others are questioning your plan.

I'm in Central NY and drive 40 minutes (without bad weather) to work now and can relate to how you came to TN without a job! I am still employed and starting to plan my escape and have same issue getting interviews in TN before living there. I actually did get a call for an interview but things fell apart when my current location was realized by the caller even when I told them I could do phone or skype interviews at the drop of a hat or be there within a couple days for anything else, it just seemed like the caller put me on the "bottom of the pile" when I started at the top otherwise before that. Yes, I can relate and hope your experience gets better very soon!

What did you do in Central NY? Maybe that could help others help you...

Old 08-24-2013, 07:20 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
At this point I think you are pretty much stuck making a long daily commute if you plan on getting a decent job. Since you are renting would it be out of the question to find something closer in to Chattanooga or Knoxville?
I'd brush up on your research skills before you make your next move, ask a ton of questions too. Not terribly realistic to expect a whole lot going on in a place with a population of 14k and at least an hour away from the bigger cities here in TN

Old 08-25-2013, 01:04 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,013,419 times
There are places in Cleveland hiring. Amazon will soon, if not already, be in seasonal hiring stage.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:04 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,245 times
Thumbs up Cleveland

I agree with C.C. that Cleveland is the hub for employment in your living location.. My boat
buddy just bought a house resale there last month, for a good price. He was commuting from across the lake / river to Wacker chemical . but that plant has been put on delay build.
Yes Amazon is the big location around Cleveland. Also there should be quite a few auto supplier
making parts for the VW plant.

Moving is not any better than in 1993 when I moved from upstate New York to Florida. Had many years
of technical employment.. If you were not from the two big Fla schools , your resume was also low
key.. Always 2nd interview question was "How low a salary will you consider.?" Just expand your
search . Talk to more people.. A lot of other guys have re-started... We enjoy the weather here &
should also be less expense to live than New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga