Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:58 AM

86 posts, read 112,186 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is my first post on this site.

We will be traveling to TN between 6-14 to 6-22 looking for a place to relocate to, within the next 1.5 to 4 years.
I have traveled for work heavily between West Point KY and Lavergne TN areas. I have talked my wife into looking for property a little further South and East toward the Chattanooga area.

I would love to hear what areas we should see or avoid at all expense. We are looking for a property outside of town but not too far away from things like hospitals, grocery stores gas stations etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 01:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Just so you're aware, if you're driving from Nashville, expect to hit some traffic before getting to Monteagle. Bonnaroo music and arts festival is full bore from June-12 through the 15th. 500,000 people trying to get into one place. Beware traffic.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the information Memhis1979.

Is there any further information on things to do or see in the areas that I mentioned above? I am looking for some input from locals in the area.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:39 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Thanks for the information Memhis1979.

Is there any further information on things to do or see in the areas that I mentioned above? I am looking for some input from locals in the area.
Chattanooga has a awesome aquarium. The Chattanooga Choo-Choo museum is pretty cool.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,981 times
Quote:
Hello,

We will be traveling to TN between 6-14 to 6-22 looking for a place to relocate to, within the next 1.5 to 4 years.
I have traveled for work heavily between West Point KY and Lavergne TN areas. I have talked my wife into looking for property a little further South and East toward the Chattanooga area.

I would love to hear what areas we should see or avoid at all expense. We are looking for a property outside of town but not too far away from things like hospitals, grocery stores gas stations etc.
ETHRIDGE, TENNESSEE in southern middle TN. You want low-priced property in a beautiful, peaceful, quiet area yet only 5-10 minutes from Lawrenceburg with hospitals, grocery, gas,banks, etc. If you don't mind living with the AMISH, and you shouldn't because they make wonderful neighbors who stay out of your way - you can travel to their farms and buy goods and produce at bargain prices and have them do repair work for you real cheap. I've lived here for 20 years. People move here and they don't have any desire to sell. So if you can find a place, grab it.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:26 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Hello,

Winchester, Cowen, South Pittsburg, Jasper all meet your needs. I would also look at the very north east area of Alabama and North West Georgia. Tennessee has some tax advantages so I understand wanting to stay in the state but there are some beautiful areas in Alabama and Georgia......

If you are still going to be driving to LaVergne forget about it. Look further up I-24 in the Coffee county/Bedford county/Rutherford county area. There are still some nice rural areas less than an hour from Lavergne.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:58 AM

peaceandquiet17,

Thank you for the reply, we will look into that area.

Wartrace,
We have already been looking at places listed for sale in Winchester, Jasper and Manchester. I will not be traveling to LaVergne after the work gig is over.

How do the different county's compare as in: user fee's, dry counties, tire taxes, personal property tax, vehicle inspection Etc? Is there anything that I should be specifically asking while we are looking for property? I am well aware of the city and county law / rules up-north, but we are still learning the law of the land down south.

I am an avid car/truck restorer so I will be needing room to build a large pole-barn type of structure. I've seen that allot of areas have sub-division type rules that I would like to avoid at all costs.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:58 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
peaceandquiet17,

Thank you for the reply, we will look into that area.

Wartrace,
We have already been looking at places listed for sale in Winchester, Jasper and Manchester. I will not be traveling to LaVergne after the work gig is over.

How do the different county's compare as in: user fee's, dry counties, tire taxes, personal property tax, vehicle inspection Etc? Is there anything that I should be specifically asking while we are looking for property? I am well aware of the city and county law / rules up-north, but we are still learning the law of the land down south.

I am an avid car/truck restorer so I will be needing room to build a large pole-barn type of structure. I've seen that allot of areas have sub-division type rules that I would like to avoid at all costs.
If I were moving to this area I wouldn't even THINK of buying in a subdivision. You should be able to find a decent lot or even acreage at a good price if you do some searching. In this rural area pole barns are very common.

1) User fee's- ? I haven't run into any user fees unless you want to camp at State parks or something.
2) Dry counties - There are a few dry counties but most of them sell beer (I think). It really isn't an issue because you can take a short drive to a "wet county" and buy all you want.
3) Tire tax - I think there may be a small fee per tire (1.50 ?) but it isn't something I would be worried about.
4) Personal property tax - No
5) Vehicle inspection - Unless you live in one of the counties adjacent to Davidson county there are no required vehicle inspections. If you do live in one of those counties you will just have to do an emissions test. The reason I kind of "laughed" at this is you should see some of the "vehicles" on our roadways. There are quite a few in this rural area that are complete wrecks still rolling on the roads.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
If I were moving to this area I wouldn't even THINK of buying in a subdivision. You should be able to find a decent lot or even acreage at a good price if you do some searching. In this rural area pole barns are very common.

1) User fee's- ? I haven't run into any user fees unless you want to camp at State parks or something.
2) Dry counties - There are a few dry counties but most of them sell beer (I think). It really isn't an issue because you can take a short drive to a "wet county" and buy all you want.
3) Tire tax - I think there may be a small fee per tire (1.50 ?) but it isn't something I would be worried about.
4) Personal property tax - No
5) Vehicle inspection - Unless you live in one of the counties adjacent to Davidson county there are no required vehicle inspections. If you do live in one of those counties you will just have to do an emissions test. The reason I kind of "laughed" at this is you should see some of the "vehicles" on our roadways. There are quite a few in this rural area that are complete wrecks still rolling on the roads.
I agree about staying away from subdivisions.
1) What should I be watching for in regards to flood zones and insurance? I understand the obvious low lying areas Etc.
2) What is the norm for mineral rights to properties?
3) How is the homeowners insurance rated in regards to fire and theft when your out in the rural areas? I would guess that if the home is out of the fire hydrant range and you have to rely on an all volunteer Fire Dept it would go up.
4) What is your feeling about the crime in rural areas compared to close to or in a local small town?
5) Waste haulers or local dumps available for rubbish?
6) Well depths for good water? Are you guys running bored or casing lined wells?

Last edited by Whiskey Tango; 05-29-2014 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: Forgot item.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:09 PM

196 posts, read 732,305 times
Quote:
I agree about staying away from subdivisions.
1) What should I be watching for in regards to flood zones and insurance? I understand the obvious low lying areas Etc.
2) What is the norm for mineral rights to properties?
3) How is the homeowners insurance rated in regards to fire and theft when your out in the rural areas? I would guess that if the home is out of the fire hydrant range and you have to rely on an all volunteer Fire Dept it would go up.
4) What is your feeling about the crime in rural areas compared to close to or in a local small town?
5) Waste haulers or local dumps available for rubbish?
6) Well depths for good water? Are you guys running bored or casing lined wells?
1) A good realtor will help you with this info. Best advice is to stay away from any flood zones.
2) Normally mineral rights transfer to new owner unless stipulated otherwise in the deed.
3) Most areas have rural fire departments with decent ISO ratings that keep rates down. May not be as low as city limits but reasonable.
4) IMO crime in rural areas is lower than local small towns.
5) Most counties have local convenience centers for trash and a centralized area for rubbish paid for out of tax money.
6) Well depths vary. 25-120 feet. However, most areas have clean/cheap water from local utilities. Lots of this water comes from springs, creeks, and fresh water lakes.

Hope this helps..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga