Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:46 AM

4 posts, read 28,625 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife currently live in Mobile, AL. And we were thinking of moving to Chattanooga. We definately do no want to live in Chattanooga, but instead one of the outlining cities. The main reasons we wanted to get out of Mobile, was to get a fresh start, prettier scenery, closer to family, less populated city. Mobile is very overcrowed and traffic is horrible. I read some of the cons for Chattanooga were:

Crawal spaces under houses -(not a big deal to me)
Housing overpriced - (not in my opinion)
Too many private schools - overshadows the public schools ?????????????
Poor Public School educators ?????????????????
Lot of "old money" families - creating clicks (don't care)
Crime is high - higher than mobile ?????????????
Stereotype outsiders - (I'm from mobile, don't really have a city accent)
Unfair job market ????????????????

How many people agree with these cons? Were these statements just a select few individuals who had bad experience?

I don't really agree with the housing being overpriced, compared to Mobile anyways. We have a lot of private school here in mobile, that do overshadow the public schools in sports, but we still have good educators in the public schools. Mobile also has a lot of "old money" families, but the city is so big that it doesn't really matter.

I'm a (public) school teacher here in Mobile, what are the best Public School in the Chattanooga area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 07:14 AM

611 posts, read 1,997,826 times
Here's my .02

Crawl Spaces - had to be the silliest comment I've heard.

Housing Overpriced - in the North Chattanooga area yes but then again people pay for location X 3. You can get a deal in most areas of
Chattanooga and even in North Chatt not much is selling right now.

Too Many Private Schools - How many are too many. Chattanooga has a long history of private schools from religious to independent. I've heard that at least 20% of the kids in Chattanooga go to private schools. I and my wife did and my kids do as well.

Poor Public Schools - If you do the research this is correct and the reason for the private schools. However, there are some great public schools in Chattanooga

Old Money - Yep, tons. Affected my live... no.

Crime Is High - This one I have trouble with. I just don't see it but I don't hang around the parts of town that have this rep.

Sterotype Outsiders - I just don't see that. But others say they do.

Unfair Job Market - I don't see that either but others are convinced that is the case.

There are some excellent public schools in the Nooga:

Signal Mountain
Lookout Mountain
North River Museum Magnet
CSLA
CSAS
Westview

hope this helps

Old 12-17-2007, 08:49 AM

4 posts, read 28,625 times
Thanks Riverview that was very helpful,

Another question? How is the traffic in Chattanooga? Is it anything comparable to Birmingham or Mobile or Nashville? Are there any particular months that the city gets more congested with tourism than others?

In the summer, things get real congested at the Gulf.

What areas of Hamilton County are considered "established", if you know what I mean? Is it just downtown Chattanooga? South Chattanooga?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:15 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Traffic? Compared to larger cities, the traffic here is a joke which is a good thing. We do have some issues though as we are a hub city for Atlanta, Nashville and Knoxville so if there is a wreck on the interstate you can bet that our major thoroughfares are totally jammed up. The upside is that there are lots of minor roads that are very handy when that happens. I have noticed that my evening travels are becoming busier than in the past few years but I zip downtown every morning with no troubles. Tourism traffic does not seem to affect us outside of the holiday season but you will notice a change in traffic when school lets out lol.

Established areas? We have Hixson, Red Bank, St Elmo, Northshore (North Chattanooga), Ooltewah, Soddy Daisy, Sale Creek, the mountains, Lookout Valley, Harrison Bay...

Old 12-17-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chett View Post
Thanks Riverview that was very helpful,

Another question? How is the traffic in Chattanooga? Is it anything comparable to Birmingham or Mobile or Nashville? Are there any particular months that the city gets more congested with tourism than others?

In the summer, things get real congested at the Gulf.

What areas of Hamilton County are considered "established", if you know what I mean? Is it just downtown Chattanooga? South Chattanooga?

Yer welcome.....

Traffic compated to:

B'ham - Heck No!
Mobile - (I don't know but I doubt it)
Nashville - We are not even in the same league

Traffic here just isn't that bad compared to major cities. I live on Signal Mtn and even in the morning rush can be to downtown in 20 minutes. It's funny what you get used to because to me that 20 minutes is not acceptable. Used to take me 5 minutes when I lived in North Chattanooga. Of course if you don't work downtown then the drive time to there doesn't matter.

The city is more congested during school season. And (IMHO) Christmas time around Hamilton Place Mall (I avoid it like the plague).

As stated above. Signal Mountain, North Chattanooga, Hixson, East Brainerd, etc. Just depends on where you plan to focus your life.

I hear you about the Gulf. I had considered moving there. We have a place in Seacrest Beach which is the "quite" part of the Gulf and after spending some prime time there during prime time we decided to stay put. Plus I like the change in seasons.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:46 PM

11 posts, read 49,656 times
I second everything RiverView said. I live in North Chattanooga, so I have a 8-10 minute drive. I still moan about it when traffic slows down to a "stand still" (read 15 to 20 miles per hour) for a mile or so.

Never been to Mobile, but I do travel to Nashville for business pretty frequently. Rush hour in Chattanooga is about like midday in Nashville. The only time that Chattanooga traffic looks like Nashville rush hour is if a tractor trailer overturns and blocks the interstate. And then the the interstate is the only thing standing still. There are state highways paralelling each of the interstates, though, so if traffic does slow down, I just hop off and cruise on until I'm past the wreck.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsn77 View Post
I second everything RiverView said. I live in North Chattanooga, so I have a 8-10 minute drive. I still moan about it when traffic slows down to a "stand still" (read 15 to 20 miles per hour) for a mile or so.

Never been to Mobile, but I do travel to Nashville for business pretty frequently. Rush hour in Chattanooga is about like midday in Nashville. The only time that Chattanooga traffic looks like Nashville rush hour is if a tractor trailer overturns and blocks the interstate. And then the the interstate is the only thing standing still. There are state highways paralelling each of the interstates, though, so if traffic does slow down, I just hop off and cruise on until I'm past the wreck.

Kindred spirits

Old 01-03-2008, 06:42 AM

114 posts, read 391,238 times
Just went through a lot of your questions as we moved here in 2007. This is what I found-
- Signal Mt was my first destination. self contained community which is appealing and had the best test scores in the public school system. I visited with the school principals/special ed teachers as my son requires some additional assistance (Asperger's). Both schools put me off as they seemed not accepting nor knowledgeable (have I tried drugs for my son was asked by 1 principal). It was even suggested that I try elsewhere. Gut feeling was good test scores because of the educated base but if you do not fit in or threaten the status quo it would be difficult to get the assistance required. People overall were nice and think about walden as less restrictions, lower taxes and same schools.
- Really liked North Shore- older community but was not impressed with the public schools there. CCA is a magnet school there which I have heard only good and GPS and Baylor are there. Could not get kids admitted mid year as we moved in Dec. I might have made a mistake of not giving it more consideration as I understand the schools are up and coming and we like the sidewalks, older homes and arty farty feel to the community.
- we decided on East Brainard based on Westview Elementary School. Also the new Middle/High school is being built there. Unfortunately you need a car to get around. Minimal sidewalks. It is close to Hamilton Mall and the shopping around it which I scoffed at first. It has been convenient though.
- The traffic in Chattanooga is not bad. Seems everything is no more than 30 minutes from anywhere else.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 19,006 times
I'm a public school teacher in the Chattanooga area and, like any school system, there are good schools and better schools.
Generally the schools with the best reputations are those in the less urban zones. Soddy Daisy and Ooltewah schools have excellent reputations.
I have lived in the Chattanooga area all of my life and I couldn't imagine wanting to live any where else!

Old 01-05-2008, 07:14 PM

5 posts, read 14,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsn77 View Post

So a 'standstill' is 15-20 miles per hour? Try driving in NJ rush hour where a 'stand still' is just that....you literally can shut your car off & sit there! Someone said houses down there are overpriced? Hey man try moving to South Jersey & try to buy a house. I priced some last month in teh Soddy Daisy/Hixson areas & I will be able to buy 2 houses in TN with what I will get for the 1 I am going to sell in NJ. I am 1 jersey girl who can not wait to move to the Chattanooga area which will be in 3-4 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga