Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 03:42 PM

67 posts, read 135,232 times

Advertisements

Sorry - I know these threads get redundant but everyone seems to be looking for something different and I don't see my specific needs answered yet lol

We are originally from a very large suburb of Chicago and got relocated to Greenville, SC about 5 years ago. Moving to a smaller metropolitan area was an adjustment as was the religious aspect but we have mostly learned to like it.

Now, it seems we may be moving to Chattanooga which seems even smaller than Greenville so I am a bit apprehensive.

Here's my wishlist if anyone can help, I would appreciate it,

1 - Home in a community approx 300-350K homes. Family friendly and a fun subdivision that is close knit. maybe with a neighborhood pool.

2 - great schools. Both of my kids are quite gifted academically and I would like for them to be challenged. They are 9 and 11 if that matters

3 - Needs to be close enough to downtown for DH job

4 - Needs to be near lots of shopping. A girl needs to shop you know.

and my last question is about alcohol. Do people typically frown on drinking here? We have experienced that quite a bit in SC and am curious about the feeling of alcohol in Chattanooga. Also, are Sundays a no alcohol sales day?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 11:52 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,098 times
I lived in Chattanooga for a couple of years in the mid-late 2000's - some comments in response to your questions (and random comments):
  • Chattanooga and Greenville (SC) are very similar - both have fantastic, revitalized downtown areas
  • The population of Upstate SC is somewhat bigger than the Chattanooga metro - with this are additional amenities (that Chattanooga does not have): Trader Joe's, Total Wine, REI, Apple Store, Macy's, Pottery Barn, Willams-Sonoma, Breuggar's, etc - Haywood Mall is a step above Hamilton Place
  • for public schools, Signal Mountain is great - Chattanooga has many more private schools than Greenville - some nationally renowned
  • public schools were lackluster/poor in the Chattanooga city limits (not sure now) - much better public schools in the city of Greenville (as you know, there are multiple affluent areas w/in the city of Greenville)
  • as a suburb, Signal Mountain is fantastic and adjacent to Chattanooga - however, it sits ~1,000 feet higher than the downtown area and one must traverse a winding rode daily
  • summer competitive swimming is huge in Upstate SC (SAIL)- Chattanooga offers something similar but on a smaller scale - there are no public aquatics centers in Chattanooga (like Westside Aquatics in Greenville) to host regional, competitive swimming events - UTC has an aquatic facility but it is not open to the general public
  • Chattanooga is west of the Appalachian mountains and, because of this, is not subject to the CAD/wedge weather that the Carolinas experience - i.e no severe ice storms in winter
  • Chattanooga's aesthetic match is Asheville - although Asheville's elevation and surrounding mountains are at a much higher elevation
  • the state of TN did not allow wine sales in grocery stores (not sure if that's changed) - this was a minor annoyance when I lived there - wine prices in TN were higher than the Carolinas
  • TN has no state income tax and no-advolorem taxes (no yearly vehicle taxes!) - mandatory auto/emission inspections (SC does not have this) - sales taxes in Chattanooga are very high (I think 9.5%) - your groceries/unprepared food will be taxed at 9.5% (0% here)

Take a long weekend and visit Chattanooga - there is a Staybridge Suites near downtown that is perfect for families - go to Lupi's - beats any pizza place in the Upstate

Last edited by drfranklin; 04-20-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 03:12 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
You should check out Ridgeside. It's a tiny independent enclave on Missionary Ridge just minutes east of downtown. Mid- to high-end homes, close-knit community. I know two families who live there, and both love it. The only downside of the area are the schools... not the best zone. One of the families I know there has grown kids, the other sends their kids to a magnet school. You'll probably want to investigate private schools if you move there; there are quite a few stellar ones around here.

I've never been frowned at while drinking here. Maybe if you get falling-down drunk, but this isn't a teetotaler city.

What is complicated is when and how you can obtain alcohol. You may buy liquor-by-the-drink any day of the week, but there are hour limitations (not between 3am and 8am during the week, not between 3am and noon on Sunday). You can only buy liquor in liquor stores, and no off-premise liquor sales on Sunday. A recently-passed law allows wine in grocery stores, but it doesn't take effect until next year, so for now the same rules as liquor. You may buy beer almost anywhere, but I'm not sure if there are hourly limits.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:23 AM

352 posts, read 883,349 times
Wine in grocery stores will go into effect in 2016. As well as liquor stores being able to sell more things.
With the amount of home brew places here in Chattanooga, and Whiskey now being produced in Chattanooga, it is NOT an intolerable to alcohol city, farrrr from it Sunday beer sales are allowed after 12pm, Liquor stores are not open on Sundays, yet.
go to www.hcde.org and do a report card check on the schools in the areas you are interested in.
Ooltewah has been building up over the last few years, most of the newer neighborhoods have community pools.
There also is the YMCA you can join, Brainerd Rec has a large, new swimming pool, Red Bank has a community pool, Warner park has a splash park and community pool. Most larger, newer subdivision have their own pools.

Tennessee sales tax is 9.25% , food is only taxed at 5 % (state makes 7 % but lowers it for food)

Old 04-21-2015, 09:54 AM

35,065 posts, read 31,284,584 times
You can't get beer in TN before noon on Sundays. With liquor stores being closed, you also cannot purchase wine or liquor at retail on Sundays. Liquor and wine cannot be sold in grocery or warehouse stores, so if you're used to stocking up on booze at the Greenville Costco, TN booze prices will surprise you. TN has some of the highest booze taxes in the country,

If you go to a bar/restaurant, I would say you can get a drink as soon as they open for lunch - not sure about earlier, and county or local laws may also impact this.

I haven't lived in Greenville or Chattanooga, but I wouldn't say Greenville frowns on drinking. Go downtown or out toward all the shops near Magnolia Place and there is lots of drinking going on. If you hang out with the Bob Jones crowd, sure, they'll frown on it, but there is always drinking going on in Greenville.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:00 PM

Thank you everyone for your help! Lots of good info there!

Old 04-22-2015, 09:23 PM

44 posts, read 66,247 times
Please check schooldigger for school rankings. The Thrasher zone is by far the best. Plan on private schools unless you live on Signal. Just look at the rankings and remember that most other Hamilton County schools don't even have basics like art, music, and STEM lab. School spending here is VERY low -- approx. $8500 per pupil compared to $10,000 to $12,000 per pupil in similar SC districts. We have an education foundation on the mountain, which is why we have $ for art teachers, iPads, etc.

Signal has a town pool that's very popular -- I think they converted it to saltwater last year. There are also town tennis courts in two locations and a few nice playgrounds, plus lots of hiking. The drive up and down the mountain is nothing -- much better than I-85 in SC!

If I really wanted to shop, I would probably drive down to Atlanta (1 hr & 45 minute drive), but Warehouse Row downtown is great. Chattanooga has lots of neat coffee shops, a couple of great bakeries, two chocolatiers -- lots of small businesses that you'll enjoy. High Point is tons of fun. Bluffview is beautiful and artsy.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPetal View Post
Please check schooldigger for school rankings. The Thrasher zone is by far the best. Plan on private schools unless you live on Signal. Just look at the rankings and remember that most other Hamilton County schools don't even have basics like art, music, and STEM lab. School spending here is VERY low -- approx. $8500 per pupil compared to $10,000 to $12,000 per pupil in similar SC districts. We have an education foundation on the mountain, which is why we have $ for art teachers, iPads, etc.

Signal has a town pool that's very popular -- I think they converted it to saltwater last year. There are also town tennis courts in two locations and a few nice playgrounds, plus lots of hiking. The drive up and down the mountain is nothing -- much better than I-85 in SC!

If I really wanted to shop, I would probably drive down to Atlanta (1 hr & 45 minute drive), but Warehouse Row downtown is great. Chattanooga has lots of neat coffee shops, a couple of great bakeries, two chocolatiers -- lots of small businesses that you'll enjoy. High Point is tons of fun. Bluffview is beautiful and artsy.
Thanks for your help! I still haven't gotten to come visit so I don't even understand about getting up the mountain lol
My son is in STEM here so that is important. Do schools in Signal have STEM labs?

How long would the commute be to downtown from Signal? My husband will be near the aquarium. also what are parking costs like there? Thanks again for your help

I never thought music and art would be things I had to ask about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga