Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 10:04 AM

6 posts, read 8,929 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I will be moving to the Chattanooga area within the next few months (for his work with TVA.) We are looking at purchasing a home and have found a few that we are interested in. We will be flying out to take a look at them, and the areas in-person next week. The top contender homes are in Harrison and Signal Mountain. We would love to hear your thoughts as to which place is the better place to live. If you had to live in one place over the other, which would it be - and why?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 02:35 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
Where will you be working with TVA? At the downtown complex or one of the outlying stations?]

Harrison is a large suburban to rural area down in the valley close to Chickamauga Lake.

Signal Mountain is a town up on Walden's ridge. Since it's at a higher elevation you'll have slightly cooler weather. The schools are some of the best in the county. There are a few stores and restaurants up there, but you'll have to drive down the mountain for anything significant. One potential problem is that there are only a few ways down off the mountain (one highway, the multi-switchback "W" Road, a dirt road over to Suck Creek that few people know about, and a few other routes that go in the wrong direction). If the highway gets blocked by a slide (happens every few years) everyone has to fight up the W Road.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:37 PM

He'll be on Market Street in downtown Chattanooga.
Thank you for the info about the occasional slide, Thats really good to keep in mind. We're both country people, so that doesn't bother us that much. But that is really something to consider and helpful!

Are there any other things to keep in mind when it comes to choosing one location over another?

Old 06-16-2016, 09:45 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,676 times
C.J. WELCOME,, A slightly lower price and access to the lake / river would be a benefit of the Harrison region.... The golf course for the state park is there... I keep reading about newer communities and shopping
coming to that I-75 region.. One can read the on line newspaper to learn more about the region before
a real estate visit.... Homepage | Times Free Press
Signal mtn is a desired community up on the plateau and stronger house prices.. Kind of has the status of New Money.... Lookout mtn has been called Old Money or family estates..

As mentioned above winter driving can be a concern as many morning 30 degree temps with thin ice..
Twisty one road only access, curvy.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,038 times
Signal mountain is beautiful. Harrison is cheaper. Signal is closer to downtown as well. Depending on what you like to do for fun might I impact your decision as well. I personally love in the ooltewah/Apison area. Living near Harrison makes you 45 minutes closer to the ocoee/cohutta area, and the Cherokee national forest, which is where I go on the weekends. If the outdoors isn't quite your scene and you are more of a city person, signal may be a better fit

Old 07-20-2016, 07:50 AM

Thanks Everyone! We bought a fixer upper on Signal Mountain and moved in last week. We have our work cut out for us (understatement of the century,) but we absolutely love it up here on the Mountain! I love that its a little cooler here than Chattanooga and I love the small town feeling and sense of community up here.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:31 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleaverJune View Post
Thanks Everyone! We bought a fixer upper on Signal Mountain and moved in last week. We have our work cut out for us (understatement of the century,) but we absolutely love it up here on the Mountain! I love that its a little cooler here than Chattanooga and I love the small town feeling and sense of community up here.

June...Hope you enjoy your new adventure in TN...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga