Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 11:00 AM

24 posts, read 27,602 times

Advertisements

hi, we are in our early 50s and considering a relocation from Syracuse ny to chattangooga. never been there but have been reading up on some things. weather - we hate ny winters , and very cold weather. can we get some opinions please on highway traffic, speed limits, cost of living , cost of homes, property taxes on homes under the 150,000 range. we are downsizing and would like to find a home under the 150,000 range - we don't want to live on top of the neighbors - would like room - maybe 1/4 - 1/2 acre of property and hopefully a ranch style home with some character. we are not looking to relocate until late 2018 and I know that's a ways away but I like doing research ahead of time.

we will also need to find new jobs. i'm in the administrative field as a secretary and my husband works in auto repair. hoping it will be easy to find work, esp at our age.

are there any oceans nearby? if not, what about beaches, lakes, rivers? etc. thank you and I apologize for all of the questions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 07:49 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm102691 View Post
hi, we are in our early 50s and considering a relocation from Syracuse ny to chattangooga. never been there but have been reading up on some things. weather - we hate ny winters , and very cold weather. can we get some opinions please on highway traffic, speed limits, cost of living , cost of homes, property taxes on homes under the 150,000 range. we are downsizing and would like to find a home under the 150,000 range - we don't want to live on top of the neighbors - would like room - maybe 1/4 - 1/2 acre of property and hopefully a ranch style home with some character. we are not looking to relocate until late 2018 and I know that's a ways away but I like doing research ahead of time.

we will also need to find new jobs. i'm in the administrative field as a secretary and my husband works in auto repair. hoping it will be easy to find work, esp at our age.

are there any oceans nearby? if not, what about beaches, lakes, rivers? etc. thank you and I apologize for all of the questions....

Like many of the other locations you have been looking into....visit and have a look around...

http://www.city-data.com/city/Chatta...Tennessee.html

Jobs....Do not move anywhere without a job lined up...

Oceans.... https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl ...is your friend...

Old 06-20-2016, 01:04 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times
Smile Prior TROY, Down-sized New Construction.

WELCOME RM,: . We may give you such good info you will want to move at the end of 2016.! I was originally TROY.NY and our new next door neighbors are from Syracuse & just moved in Dec. .... We had a down-size house built for us about a mile from our lake access house in northern Hamilton county,, which is called Soddy - Daisy. This is WEST side of river which has less traffic.. Four lane Hwy # 27 has speeds to 65 mph, very smooth roads here..
2) OUr County park called CHESTER FROST has free admission and LARGE Sandy beach with lake type swimming, can search for website, popular camping here.... . Try to post a pic below of house and rock / stone fronts are popular,,, however newer building codes are more efficient , and lower home owner insurance was also a perk... we have a OPEN floor plan, gas heat ,with a Gas fireplace, great feature.. We are very flat and almost WheelChair rated thinking ahead..Total land , wooded 9/10th of acre was at that $150,K range, which is $1000 / yr county taxes , total for school, etc, due Jan 1st , to Feb 28 with no penality.
I can add a better finished front view later from another album, Both times we chose a lot that butts up in the rear to BUFFER / forestry land for more privacy. Known by real estate agents as older BOWATER lumber land or the current TVA preserve land.. Our town is SODDY- DAISY.. We have two new house along both sides of us , but more elbow room than normal for a subdivision, NO Home owners monthly fees, assn dues, etc. Private water is $15 / month.. Better insulation in house has electric at $40 / month. Bigger windows are a perk for fire emergency escape. Newer building codes as mentioned above.

Last edited by SPLIT; 06-20-2016 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-20-2016, 01:29 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times
Cool Front view 3 Bed ,2 Bath , large garage, loft

RM, Here is a front view of our Three bed, Two bath ranch, showing typical stone front of the style here in S.E. Tenn.. Stack stone is also in our living room for the gas fireplace,, rear is mostly glass with the french door to cement pad, two sided kitchen window seats.. We can drive truck to back door for possible wheelchair . . We did have a custom garage upgrade with 24 foot deep to take our four door big pickup truck , & can put a motorcycle in front of it and close door, Upstair loft has full head room, for hobby room or workbench, storage, etc. Underground utilities. Again we get about ONE day of SNOW here , and usually melted by 4pm that afternoon... Some mornings can be 30 Degrees with ice for roads.. Our winter Gas $$ was 40 / month which is also gas range, heat , fireplace, $8 in summer Minimum.. Hamilton county had that high speed fiber, stimlus upgrade which helps for electric POWER transformer -Re-Route / restore in case of wind tree / storm damage.. Quick auto , reset in most cases.. This has also drawn more employers to this county for jobs,

Last edited by SPLIT; 06-20-2016 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Extra info

Old 06-20-2016, 03:09 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Up the road from Chattanooga just off I-75

The Lost Sea Adventure

https://www.chattanoogachamber.com/

Lake Winnie - The South's Favorite Family Amusement Park!

Tennessee Watchable Wildlife | Tennessee River Park and Chickamauga Dam

Outdoor Chattanooga - Fishing

Fun Things to Do in Chattanooga, TN | Incline Railway

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 06-20-2016 at 03:27 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 04:28 PM

thank you so much for the info everyone !

split. can I have your email address in case I have any more questions regarding relocation or other info? you've been a great help. your home is beautiful !!

Old 06-20-2016, 04:31 PM

you can email me at rm102691@twcny.rr.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga