Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:46 PM

5 posts, read 8,717 times

Advertisements

Hello all, hoping to get some advice to narrow down my search. Im a firefighter who will be retiring in 8-10 years and have decided to move to Tennessee. In February I took my family to Gatlinburg and got a cabin at the top of a mountain. It was one of the best vacations we have ever taken. We got several days of light snow and it was amazing there. The only negative was the horrible traffic in town. After getting a little info from some friends I think I would like to find some property near the Chattanooga area. My dream is 20+ acres mostly treed with a view of mountains/large hills or located in the mountains/large hills. I would really like a fishable creek (1st preference) or lake/river on the property or close by. Im amazed at some of the inexpensive property that I find online but it also scares me that it could be in a bad area. I am not concerned with schools or jobs but my wife would like civilization to be a decent distance away for shopping and getting away from me!! The best option would allow me to use the property now on vacations by getting power to it and parking a camper onsite. Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 09:29 AM

I did search the threads a good bit and did not find quite the answers I was looking for. Are my questions or what im looking for unreasonable?

Old 06-28-2016, 01:52 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,676 times
Thumbs up Birchwood // Hiwassee river

C,: WELCOME.. reading all your fishing interest, I would visit the East side of tn river ,called Chickamauga lake , around the Birchwood area.. Dayton has been a big draw with all the Bass fishing tournaments last few years.. This lake gets pro events.... Also the Hiwassee river has the trout fishing further out in the east end..
This RV place GRASSHOPPER CREEK LINK https://www.facebook.com/Grasshopper...2072401803574/ would give you a flavor where to buy land when you visit...

Old 06-28-2016, 03:45 PM

249 posts, read 659,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clacombe View Post
Hello all, hoping to get some advice to narrow down my search. Im a firefighter who will be retiring in 8-10 years and have decided to move to Tennessee. In February I took my family to Gatlinburg and got a cabin at the top of a mountain. It was one of the best vacations we have ever taken. We got several days of light snow and it was amazing there. The only negative was the horrible traffic in town. After getting a little info from some friends I think I would like to find some property near the Chattanooga area. My dream is 20+ acres mostly treed with a view of mountains/large hills or located in the mountains/large hills. I would really like a fishable creek (1st preference) or lake/river on the property or close by. Im amazed at some of the inexpensive property that I find online but it also scares me that it could be in a bad area. I am not concerned with schools or jobs but my wife would like civilization to be a decent distance away for shopping and getting away from me!! The best option would allow me to use the property now on vacations by getting power to it and parking a camper onsite. Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks!!
I just picked up about 25 acres in Soddy/Bakewell with a view of the mountain. It's probably a 5 minute drive to the lake. Gave about $120,000, but it was completely undeveloped.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:49 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
I would look up around the Maryville area. Close to the Smokies and several lakes and rivers. Maybe do a search on one of the real estate sites

Old 07-01-2016, 06:39 PM

Looks like Ive narrowed down my search to Rhea , sequatchie, Marion, Hamilton or Bledsoe counties. I really like Cumberland Creeks in Grandview Tn. Do any of you have any experience with any of these that you would like to share? Thanks

Old 07-03-2016, 08:17 PM

Default Subdivision Input around Chatt.

Ive found a few areas that interest me. Does anyone have any experience with Cumberland Creeks or Escape in Evansville, both are in Rhea county? I really want 10+ acres with trees and a view but my wife would like me to stay in something like these gated communities. Any other recommendations would be great. Thanks!!

Old 07-04-2016, 09:21 PM

249 posts, read 659,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clacombe View Post
Ive found a few areas that interest me. Does anyone have any experience with Cumberland Creeks or Escape in Evansville, both are in Rhea county? I really want 10+ acres with trees and a view but my wife would like me to stay in something like these gated communities. Any other recommendations would be great. Thanks!!
I don't know anything except that they're kind of in the middle of nowhere. If you don't need any amenities, then they'll probably be ok, otherwise you're nowhere close to anything.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:56 PM

Well Ill be heading up there this week to hopefully find something. Here are the finalists: In Sequatchie County its Walden woods, Walden Farms, and Greenfield estates which I believe are all on signal mountain. In Rhea county its Cumberland Creeks or The Escape in Evensville. In Marion its Ridges at Franklin Forest in Pittsburg or The Bluffs. And finally there are a few in Bledsoe county. Do any of you live in any of these areas or are familiar with the developments? Ive been reading on this site for days and have a brain overload. Please give me any info that you might find useful. Im not worried about schools just mainly a quiet beautiful place to retire with good Public safety and a few stores and restaurants to keep my wife happy. thanks!!1

Old 07-13-2016, 05:10 PM

275 posts, read 536,063 times
Hi. I don't live in Tennessee, but visit frequently as our daughter and family live in Hixson, a north suburb of Chattanooga. I've been to the Signal Mountain area several times - it is beautiful, and not far from shopping, etc., though there's not much on the mountain itself. One caveat: I do wonder about driving to/from the mountain in winter.

There are other lovely areas within 30-45 minutes of Chattanooga, as well.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga