Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 04:30 PM

839 posts, read 807,972 times

Advertisements

Just fantasizing a bit, as I really like the terrain and recreation around Chattanooga. Are Lookout Mountain, TN and GA reasonable retirement locations? I'm sure the slightly cooler summer temperatures are nice. Is it a big pain to have to travel down the mountain for conveniences, medical appointments, etc.? We're actually at least 8 years from retirement and probably more like 12, but it's fun to dream.

Having seen what my parents have experienced with declining health and the convenience of being close to medical facilities, I've mostly given up on the idea of retiring in a rural or semi-rural location. Interestingly, we live in a semi-rural location now, and we're considering doing the reverse of what many do and retiring closer in to a decent sized city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 11:46 AM

4,871 posts, read 4,981,239 times
I believe Lookout Mountain is quite pricey.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:51 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,854,049 times
Question Soddy Plateau. Tax location

B.D. ..Welcome,, Since you have time till a final decision,, I would mention to other readers a tax
location should decide for retirees.... Into Georgia on the south side of Lookout would be state income
tax if Georgia address. . Chattanooga part of Lookout should have to pay City taxes IMO ?
The city has expanded its Annexation north towards Hixson boy scout.rd area..
. Actually many medical offices, Hospital is around the Rt #153 , shopping area of Hixson...
Just North West of this location UP the plateau is Soddy Daisy section that would have the slightly cooler summer temps... We rented up there last summer. POE rd area , etc,,, Same Cumberland hiking trails etc,,
This spot should have the lowest taxes, and lower real estate prices also.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:03 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,198,974 times
Other than a very few convenience-type stores and restaurants, there are very few businesses of any kind on Lookout Mountain. You're right in that you'll have to do down for anything significant, including any medical needs. Back in the day when the Incline was used for transportation instead of purely for tourism, it was common for mountain dwellers to commute that way instead of driving because it was faster. There's even a story of a women in labor riding down the incline to meet her doctor at the base. But those days are gone.

If you want cooler/dryer mountain air around Chattanooga with less hassle, I'd suggest looking at Signal Mountain across the valley. It's more of a "new money" area (as opposed to "old money" on Lookout). Vastly more options for stores and restaurants, but no big-box chains. No medical clinic, but several pharmacies and there's the "Minute Clinic" at the CVS with a nurse practitioner.

It's slightly shorter than Lookout, and the road up/down is better (2 lanes up, 1 lane down). Decent shopping (grocery, Walmart, more restaurants, etc.) is found immediately at the base of the mountain instead of a long distance away.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:37 PM

839 posts, read 807,972 times
Thank you for the replies and suggestions. Just dreaming for now. Life circumstances may keep us here in Alabama, but I really like the rugged terrain and river setting of the Chattanooga area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga