Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:00 PM

486 posts, read 460,108 times

Advertisements

In regards to relocation. We are both in our early 50s. We wd like to be in a safe, clean neighborhood w great neighbors that dont mind us who were born and raised in central ny. Looking for a home in the 130-140,000 range in a neighborhood w mature trees etc. I'd love some advice here. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 01:40 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,480,666 times
Mature trees? Older homes presumably, built 30-50 years ago. How built-up? Chattanooga has many pockets of commercial development, and the residential areas surround them. Chattanooga is really like about two dozen small towns as opposed to one dominant town with a singular identity. For example, you have people who have lived their whole lives in the East Brainerd area and would never consider ever living anywhere else in Hamilton County (and vice-versa). That mindset applies to broader areas (one side of the TN River vs. the other, and closer in to town Missionary Ridge vs. farther out, like Tyner).

Given your age, I'd guess schools are not a concern for you. You're budget will limit you considerably, but I'd suggest you look in East Ridge and the Brainerd areas. ER has lots of housing stock built in the 1960 and 70s. Brainerd is older, and I keep waiting for that area to Pop! with a discovery by young families (a'la North Shore) but it has too many obstacles as of this time. On the plus, there are some really great pockets with very nice houses in your price range. Likewise, there has been a lot of positive retail and office development along the Brainerd corridor; so the area is getting healthier. I think the sweet spots in Brainerd for you would be between Brainderd Road and I-24. East Ridge is just on the opposite side of I-24.

You might also consider the Ashland Terrace area and the northern half of Hwy 153, out to Dayton Pike. If you're interested in a "fixer", you can still find a few homes in yoru price in St. Elmo. Likewise, you may find some neighborhoods in the East Brainerd area, around Graysville Rd. Good luck!

You may consider Georgia (Walker and Catoosa Counties) but you'll find that they have income tax that may be a factor for you. There are some nice neighborhoods south of East Ridge (Lafayette and Battlefield areas).

Old 01-05-2017, 03:54 PM

Ty! What do u mean about income tax? Yes preferable older homes that have been mostly redone or that don't need much work. Wd building a home in our price range be a better option?

Old 01-05-2017, 04:16 PM

249 posts, read 654,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm10269123 View Post
Ty! What do u mean about income tax? Yes preferable older homes that have been mostly redone or that don't need much work. Wd building a home in our price range be a better option?
Georgia has a personal income tax, Tennessee does not.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:22 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,480,666 times
Hmmmmm.... building vs. buying!? The eternal question. That will come down to what you can buy and where for the money. Usually, when you build, you'll be hard pressed to find the mature trees you desire. There may be some established neighborhoods with vacant lots available, but you'll have to pursue those specifically with your realtor. I'd imagine that woudl limit your choice of location considerably. In your price range, you're likely to find some brand new houses out along Hwy 58.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:01 AM

Ty for all your help!

Old 01-06-2017, 07:57 AM

7 posts, read 13,196 times
Default Best Neighborhoods

Hixson, Lakesite, Soddy-Daisy areas. Easy access to anything in Chattanooga and good housing choices.
Signal Mountain is way overrated. Expensive housing, cramped community, and a curvy road commute that makes one wonder why anyone would want to subject themselves to it twice a day.

Chattanooga has crime ridden areas that are kept somewhat "hush-hush" by the community leaders in order to attract new families. These areas are predominantly black as all problem areas in major communities seem to be.

If you're a "church-goer" you'll feel right at home as there are churches everywhere.

Climate is great in the Fall, and Winters are mild, but the Summers...lets just say that you might as well be in Florida. Spring is great but too short.

Chattanooga has a lot of great things going for it......the downtown area, riverside, pedestrian bridge, a haven for railroad buffs, hiking close by, and not too far from the mountains.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:11 AM

126 posts, read 136,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moutainslapper View Post
Hixson, Lakesite, Soddy-Daisy areas. Easy access to anything in Chattanooga and good housing choices.
Signal Mountain is way overrated. Expensive housing, cramped community, and a curvy road commute that makes one wonder why anyone would want to subject themselves to it twice a day.

Chattanooga has crime ridden areas that are kept somewhat "hush-hush" by the community leaders in order to attract new families. These areas are predominantly black as all problem areas in major communities seem to be.

If you're a "church-goer" you'll feel right at home as there are churches everywhere.

Climate is great in the Fall, and Winters are mild, but the Summers...lets just say that you might as well be in Florida. Spring is great but too short.

Chattanooga has a lot of great things going for it......the downtown area, riverside, pedestrian bridge, a haven for railroad buffs, hiking close by, and not too far from the mountains.
I completely agree about Signal Mtn. I was hopeful it would be a good fit for my family for possible relocation but after checking it out I found it lacking: Tight and twisty roads with a lot of blind corners, cramped overall feel. I wouldn't be comfortable having my kids riding bikes/playing up there.

We are still looking around for a good area

Old 01-06-2017, 08:52 AM

Can someone tell me where are the "hush hush communities so we can steer clear of them?

Old 01-07-2017, 05:42 PM

Default Dupont/Murray hills

I just noticed there are some homes for sale in this area. Is this a safe neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga