U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 07:15 AM

7 posts, read 6,401 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I found a house in Apison that I really like, but didn't really have time to explore the immediate area. Is there close shopping nearby? Are there a lot of nearby activities for my 2 kids, ages 9 and 7? The elementary school seems highly rated, which is a plus. One of my main concerns would be my daily commute to Chattanooga State. Would the commute be terrible? I have heard East Brainerd Rd has a ton of traffic. I may be able to adjust my schedule to avoid rush hour times, but still not sure if the commute would be crazy. Finally, how would you say it compares to Ooltewah? I appreciate your input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 01:11 AM

30 posts, read 43,684 times
Depending on where in Apison- you are 15-25 minutes from the Hamilton Place mall area, the biggest shopping mall in the area. As for groceries- you will probably be passing by several grocery stores on E. Brainerd Rd, including Publix, Neighborhood Walmart, and Food City. Depending on where in Apison, it may be closer to get groceries in Ooltewah (Food City, full Walmart and Publix). Yes, we locals complain about traffic on East Brainerd Rd, but I don't think it's that bad- nothing compared to many cities. Rush hour traffic will add maybe 5-10 minutes to your commute, primarily on the section of E. Brainerd Rd between Morris Hill Rd and Ooltewah Ringgold Rd, maybe a few minutes more if you hit the Westview Elementary School zone. The biggest issue with E. Brainerd Rd. is the construction that has been going on for 3 years- they've opened parts of the road already (It's being expanded to 4 lanes from 2)- so traffic moves well on the 4 lane sections, but at rush hour, there may still be a bottleneck in the construction zones that are still just 2 lanes (Again, maybe adding an extra 5-10 minutes, but it's still nothing compared to the traffic I've seen in Atlanta or Nashville, where it routinely takes 1 hour to drive 5 miles) The commute to Chattanooga State will likely be 30-45 minutes, again depending on how far out in Apison. There are a couple of alternate routes to avoid E. Brainerd Rd, especially if you live toward the Collegedale side of Apison.
As for stuff for kids- Both Apison and Ooltewah have lots of family friendly communities. Both are a short drive to the Imagination Station playground in Collegedale, which is located right next to the Collegedale Public Library (lots of kids programs there, free of charge, but to check out books there is an $80 annual fee if you don't reside in the Collegedale city limits). There is a 3 mile greenway in Collegedale (Wolftever Creek trail) that starts at Imagination Station and ends at a duck pond near Southern Adventist University-very safe, great for riding bikes, playing ball, etc. Southern Adventist University offers swimming and gymnastics classes for kids (You don't have to be Adventist to sign your kids up.)
Ooltewah is probably slightly more convenient for commuting since closer to the interstate, but some of the newer subdivisions in Ooltewah are further from the interstate, so may be a toss up.
I've heard mostly good things about Apison Elementary- you would want to check which middle/high schools you are zoned for (It would likely be either East Hamilton or Ooltewah, depending on where in Apison.) Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:35 AM

7 posts, read 6,401 times
Thank you very much, that is extremely helpful. I appreciate your perspective on the traffic. Sounds like a great place for family. Now to decide if I want a 30 minute commute. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga