Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 09:54 AM

255 posts, read 757,018 times

Advertisements

We are wanting to relocate to Tn. but can't decide which area would be the best for us.
We have 3 children and 2 dogs that love to be active outside weather it be sports, fishing or just playing with neighborhood kids on bikes.
Can anyone help us narrow our search down so when we return in January for another visit we can focus more on one town and expedite our move?
Any help is greatly appreciated, also leads on good jobs would be very helpful.
In exchange we can help with any vacation plans or moves to Central Florida.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 04:17 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Thumbs up 6 months of Heaven

MM: Seems I am 6 months ahead of you so you can ask away. Just went back to Winter Haven for Thanksgiving visit and hear more house insurance horror stories. We started looking in Cleveland, but seemed to me Lots were smaller, closer and not very flat to park a boat trailer. Leaving Central Fla wanted elbow room, not really acres for horses. The entire river is great fishing / swimming, but beautiful county park , CHESTER FROST is on the west side of river/Chicmunga Lake. Also nice coves / creeks Soddy ,Possum <Sale creek also camping. We are Empty Nest so schools not the #1 factor. Cleveland very religious with the college, and most towns have numerous churches which is good. Over by Soddy we discovered a brand new parish and were welcomed that day with pictures.Hamilton co slightly more low key. Bradley co or Cleveland along I-75 super hwy is like living right on I-4 in Orlando, truck accidents almost daily, mega Hamilton place mall. Roads are all smooth , good here , so similiar. Not sure your employment history, Chatanooga always growing, many medical co's, North Ga also active base.Pvt msg if you need specific questions, referalls, House ins $335 per year.! Electric about $30 / month, full ac. I am on full acre, with TVA buffer trees in back, 40 mile hill to views, dead end street. Everyone need to pick your own sleep factor. More photo's if you e-mail id. Bought 3 kayaks last month, flat water paddle. Cleveland closer to OCOEE if you need white water.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:19 AM

255 posts, read 757,018 times
We are looking at a home in Brainerd area? Not sure what it's like just that is it must be like a suburb or Chattanooga. My husband is retired military and is currently looking around for employment all along the east section of Tennessee. We will relocate wherever the job offer is, but would like to get information before hand so we can come visit again when the kids go on spring break from school again.
Do you get much snow where you are at? I know it gets very cold but not sure about how much snow you get in the winter months. My friend wants me to relocate to the Kingsport/Johnson City/Greenville area since they are going there; but we know nothing about any of the areas.

Like I said, any information is helpful and appreciated...thanks!

Old 12-26-2006, 11:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Hi Mia,
Read through these threads, even go back a few pages there are a bunch of posts about the Tri-Cities area and others, that will give you a lot of opinions, ideas and information about all the areas you are looking at. I live in Tri-Cities, have children and we love it here!
Hope that helps.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:56 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Thumbs up Both Ends of State nice.

M.M. If you have close friends up North take close look there. More NASCAR racing in the north part of state. NO snow coverage in Tenn. Flurries and possible one inch till melt. More chance to see in Higher mtn of North Carolina. Every 5 years get a dump of 5 or 6 inches, never know when. About 3 degrees cooler in North. I'm also from Central Fla many mornings 34 degrees so already cold enough in Chatanooga. Maybe more power boating in the south with the wider river. North has nice creeks/ or narrow rivers for Kayaks/canoes. Maybe more OPEN Land up north as farm land for sale. View of mtn slightly higher. Also closer to summer theme parks of Pigeon Forge,,etc.. GreenEville very nice area to consider. Chattanooga school students are going to 25% PRIVATE schools with higher tuition, not sure of Public ranking up North. also just pick a nice Church Parish as you may spend a few days a week with your New Friends. Good SMOOTH roads all over so same expressways both regions. Seems more people are interested in a Basement in case of these Tornadoes, like FLA on CHRISTMAS, so may consider.? Maybe a TENN SNOWBIRD. Live in Chat and go North to KINGSPORT for the summers..!

Old 12-27-2006, 10:42 AM

86 posts, read 333,650 times
M.M., I live in the Kingsport area and know some military folks who retired to this area. Let me know what type of employment your husband is interested in and perhaps I can connect you with someone who can help...just send me an off line message. Concerning schools, the Northeast TN cities (Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol) operate school systems separate from the counties and all are very good. (As an example, Kingsport's HS band will be in the Rose Bowl parade this year). My children attended county schools and received a very good education, but the counties do not have as many special programs as the cities.SPLIT mentioned there are many private schools in Chattanooga, and this is true of many areas of the state but due to the quality of the public schools the demand for private schools has not developed in this area.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:42 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
A note on the county vs. city schools. Be careful there. For example, Washington County schools are much better, rated and extras, than city schools, but opposite in Sullivan Co. Greeneville City is much better than Greene County. I think that would be similar findings in many counties across TN. So be careful and look into the ratings, state report cards, crime rate in school etc. in ANY school.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:03 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_magination View Post
We are looking at a home in Brainerd area? Not sure what it's like just that is it must be like a suburb or Chattanooga. My husband is retired military and is currently looking around for employment all along the east section of Tennessee. We will relocate wherever the job offer is, but would like to get information before hand so we can come visit again when the kids go on spring break from school again.
Do you get much snow where you are at? I know it gets very cold but not sure about how much snow you get in the winter months. My friend wants me to relocate to the Kingsport/Johnson City/Greenville area since they are going there; but we know nothing about any of the areas.

Like I said, any information is helpful and appreciated...thanks!
I live in the Brainerd area and can give you a bunch of info. However, Ooltewah schools seem to be better and we are building a new one up that way as well. Any questions, please feel free to ask! As far as snow, we have had 2 good ones in the last 10 years. You know, the kind that keeps you out of work for a couple of days.

Last edited by jkmewright; 12-27-2006 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: data about snow

Old 12-27-2006, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,107 times
Default Cleveland or Ooltewah!

I lived in Cleveland for 8 years and now live in Ooltewah. Cleveland is a wonderful place--good schools (especially in NW part of Bradley County) and has a nice small town feel. There are actually quite a few job opportunities there and lots of churches. Small mall has essentials and Wal-Mart is always packed. Good selection of restaurants and close to Hiwassee/Ocoee Rivers and Parksville Lakes. Ooltewah is a better choice if your job is actually in Chattanooga. Schools in Ooltewah are better than rest of Hamilton County, but they're overcrowded. Nice residential area and it's only 6 miles straight down the interstate to Hamilton Place with all the restaurants and stores. Wal-Mart opens here in January! And new restaurants are coming in all the time. I know of a great church in Ooltewah if you're interested (my husband is the pastor). Within 30 minutes you can be in downtown Chattanooga, with the cosmopolitan feel and waterfront or you can be in the Cherokee National Forest with lots of recreational opportunities. Harrison Bay is in Ooltewah and offers lots of boating, picnicing, etc.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:12 PM

39 posts, read 213,943 times
Default Re: Cleveland, Chattanooga...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Hi Mia,
Read through these threads, even go back a few pages there are a bunch of posts about the Tri-Cities area and others, that will give you a lot of opinions, ideas and information about all the areas you are looking at. I live in Tri-Cities, have children and we love it here!
Hope that helps.
I just happened to drive to Kingsport earlier today. I wanted to get a first-hand look after hearing so many people sing the praises of the tri-cities area. To me, Kingsport was kind of a letdown. The downtown area seemed so empty with a lot of stores/businesses for rent. Also parts of the city seemed a little run down. Did I miss something? I didn't have time to check out JC or Bristol. If there are better areas I should have checked out, let me know. I can always go back for another visit next summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga