Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:02 PM

192 posts, read 857,937 times

Advertisements

Living close to the state line are there additional taxes to pay to GA of you work in GA live in TN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 02:32 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
If you're employed full-time in GA, wouldn't you have to pay GA income tax regardless of where you live?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:07 PM

192 posts, read 857,937 times
Default tax

Generally, you only pay income tax if your state of residence has them. I was wondering if you pay GA road use, city etc for using their roads. I lived in MI worked in OH that is what I had to pay. Anyone, on different taxes one might have in that situation?

Old 05-24-2007, 08:48 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
That wasn't the way it was in Kentucky. I used to live in Clarksville, where many people worked at nearyby Ft. Campbell, KY, which straddles the Tennessee-Kentucky border. At one time they had to paid Kentucky income tax. Which, of course, didn't make the people who lived in Tennessee very happy. I believe Congress finally passed a law to deal with the situation; but that was only in regard to military bases.

I'm no expert, but I'd be surprised if you didn't have to pay GA income tax even if you lived in Tennessee. You might also post your question on the Georgia forum. Perhaps someone there knows the right answer.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:53 AM

286 posts, read 1,086,146 times
The people I know who work in TN but live in GA, pay Georgia income tax. So it doesn't make sense to pay tax if you work in GA but live in TN.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:10 PM

29 posts, read 196,670 times
^^^^financelife

So, if the rent is cheaper in GA, but you're paying GA income tax, is that about the same as higher rent in TN but no income tax??

Sorry the syntax was all screwy in that sentence, I just couldn't spit it out,lol.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:07 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
You only pay state income taxes in your state of legal residence. If you work in GA and live in TN, you pay taxes in TN. If you worked in GA and had homes in both states-- a house in TN and a lake cottage in GA, for example-- you would declare residency in one state, presumably in the most tax-friendly state (and take the steps necessary to fulfill the legal requirements).

I know this, because I work in TN and CA and recently moved my legal residence from CA to TN. I still earn income in CA, still spend time there, but I don't have to pay CA taxes. Before that, I lived in Virginia and worked in D.C. and Maryland-- I only paid VA taxes (a very common situation in the VA-MD-DC area). Likewise, in the TN-GA scenario, the OP won't owe state taxes to GA, as long as s/he maintains legal domicile in TN.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:38 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Yup, you pay taxes where you live. So if you live in Georgia, you pay Georgia's income tax.

People in DeSoto County, Mississippi try to cheat the system, too. They work in Memphis but live in Mississippi for the lower property taxes and better (safer) schools. However, Mississippi has ridiculously high automobile taxes and also a state income tax. So many try to claim their Memphis work address as their home address, which is of course illegal. When caught, they face stiff penalties.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:38 AM

29 posts, read 196,670 times
Why couldn't things be simpler?? Thanks for the info

Old 04-28-2008, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,913 times
Default Living on the state line...

What are the implications, if any...of living on the Georgia/Tn state line...it runs through my yard...working in Tennessee. My legal address is Georgia, but the line runs through my backyard. Any way to beat the Ga income tax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga