Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 02:54 PM

70 posts, read 102,412 times

Advertisements

All,
We're considering Chattanooga (and suburbs) as a retirement destination. We'll be young (50s), and we'd like to experience all the city has to offer. However, I just saw a disturbing statistic about crime in Chattanooga...something along the lines of 96% higher than the rest of Tennessee. What's up with that? Why so much crime in a seemingly bucolic place - that isn't a huge city? We live in the St. Louis area and are accustomed to daily news stories about carjackings, fatal (and numerous) shootings, home invasions, etc. We'd like to get away from that environment and move to a smaller city with fewer crime issues. From what I've read, Chattanooga seems to have a big crime problem on their hands. Can someone either disagree with me, or provide some insight into this negative perception? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 05:34 PM

5 posts, read 7,907 times
Not true

Old 05-14-2019, 09:17 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
I think you will find that violent crime occurs between people who know each other.
So you likely will not be affected at all.

I'm assuming the cause is a result of Chattanooga's rust belt past. As heavy industry moved away it left a legacy of underemployed workers. But Chattanooga is reinventing itself as a shiny city for the mobile upper middle class. What brought Chattanooga to your attention?

Old 05-15-2019, 06:46 AM

Thank you, Creeksitter. Your theory makes sense.
With Chattanooga's reinvention of itself, I would think there would be an emphasis on combatting crime to help lower those deadly numbers - and to improve quality of life for everyone (current and potential residents). Are there not enough law enforcement resources? Is the city proactive when it comes to identifying a problem (crime, in this case) and putting financial resources to help fix it?

To answer your question re: what brought Chattanooga into focus -- there are several attractive features about the area. We want to:
1. Live in a more serene and green environment with water/mountains as the backdrop
2. Slow down and smell the roses upon retirement (in a few years)
3. Be surrounded by friendly people who care for each other and their environment (e.g., less crime, less litter, public art, outdoor activities)
4. Have a shorter drive to a beach or mountainous area
5. Say "goodbye" to our heavy winter coats, snow boots and shovels

We haven't visited yet, so that's obviously the first step. At this point, I'm doing lots of research based on climate, cost of living, medical facilities, low taxes, crime, etc. There are a couple of other places we're considering, but Chattanooga seems the most appealing - at least "on paper." Thanks again!

Old 05-15-2019, 06:50 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,986,434 times
There is no way this is true. Chattanooga cannot hold a candle to Memphis when it comes to crime.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:15 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Quote:
I would think there would be an emphasis on combatting crime to help lower those deadly numbers - and to improve quality of life for everyone (current and potential residents). Are there not enough law enforcement resources? Is the city proactive when it comes to identifying a problem (crime, in this case) and putting financial resources to help fix it?
There was a thread in the TN forum about the most recent crime stats and Chattanooga's property crime rates had improved in the last year to be on par with Knoxville - which is to say not particularly noteworthy in either direction. So check to see if the data is up to date.

It is best to only compare Tennessee cities and towns to each other because the TBI can count one incident multiple times if there are multiple charges. It could be misleading to compare TN cities to cities in other states.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:55 PM

5 posts, read 7,907 times
Again not true. Lived here for years. No

Love it. From chicago. Now that's crime

Old 05-16-2019, 06:19 AM

Creeksitter and Rayray0815,
Thank you for your perspectives. Good point re: multiple charges in one "crime." My husband is in law enforcement here in the St. Louis area, so you can understand why this is such a big deal to us!

I, too, lived in Chicago for a few years...oddly enough, I felt safer there than I do in downtown St. Louis. Sad how things devolve.

I'll check into the TBI's most recent crime stats for Chattanooga. Really appreciate the helpful thoughts! Have a good day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga