Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 PM

5 posts, read 21,477 times

Advertisements

I am a single 53-year-old college-educated female and am considering making a move to Chattanooga. I'm seeking advice regarding what section of the city I should move to -- I'm looking for an older crowd of people (50 and over). Is Chattanooga comprised of mainly younger people, or will I find an abundance of people my age and older? If so, what area would be the best fit for me? I am told the people in Chattanooga are very friendly and was wondering if that is true. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've moved to different states on my own a few times and have made some mistakes. This time I'd like to be better informed.

Thank you!

P.S. I might add that I am currently residing in New Jersey; however, I've lived most of my life in the South (Rome & Atlanta, GA). I sure do miss the Southern warmth and hospitality. After living in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area for four years, I'm more than ready to return but would prefer to live in TN.

Last edited by susan0327; 06-18-2008 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 11:23 PM

600 posts, read 2,259,753 times
There are many established posts on this, please scroll down for a wealth of information. Google Chattanooga and you can find all the demographic information you seek.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:42 AM

Gee, I am hoping that this is NOT an indication of how helpful and friendly Chattanoogans are -- I'm a brand new member and was hoping for a little Southern hospitality.

I've already googled Chattanooga; however, the info I found did not indicate what SECTION of Chattanooga would be the most compatible. Also, the information one finds on-line at sources like Wikipedia, etc., is not alway accurate. I find it best to ask the LOCAL residents.

If any of you could lead me in the right direction, your help, insight, and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

All I want to know is what section of Chattanooga would hold an older population (age 50 and above)?

[One can Google 'til the cows come home, but it's always best (and more accurate) to ask local residents.]

Thanks much.

Last edited by susan0327; 06-19-2008 at 05:02 AM..

Old 06-19-2008, 04:58 AM

5 posts, read 12,108 times
Default Leaving Chattanooga

Hi I am 51, newly divorced and moving from living in the Chattanooga area after 19 years to Seattle. Let me first say, I will miss this area. However, at this stage in my live the move is a positive move. The downtown area here has really undergone a transformation. Everyone is moving downtown. This is not only a good place for the young professionals it is a nice place for older people. The north side especially is a great place. You can enjoy the walking bridge, Coolidge park, the Aquarium and shops.

Just like all places some people are friendly and some are not. I hope you have a great life here.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:09 AM

Thanks, donnatngirl. I appreciate the time you spent to steer me in the right direction.

I've visited Seattle several times and it is a very nice city with a diverse group of people. Alot of education and culture there, not to mention the bookstores and coffee shops.

I'm sure you'll be happy there, and I wish you the best.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:33 AM

390 posts, read 1,701,152 times
Hi there! Great to hear you are considering a move to Chattanooga. I am guessing the previous poster was trying to be helpful, but maybe seemed a bit short. He actually has not moved to Chattanooga yet, but will be soon

We know quite a few older folks who find Chattanooga to be a great place for active older adults. I have heard N. Chattanooga is a good place with a great deal of diversity of age. We have friends in your age range in Stuart Heights, which is still North Chattanooga, but heading closer to Hixson. They say they love it! For a more urban, artsy feel in a neighborhood that is still up and coming, many are moving to the South side of town. I am not sure of the age breakdown there.

Although I really can't tell you where there are more people in your age range, I can say that we moved here about 9 months ago and LOVE it here. The people are warm and friendly, the weather is nice for most of the year, there is a lot to do if you enjoy the outdoors, and even if you do not there are fun things to do. I know this is not your priority, but we find there is so much for us to do with our daughter who will soon be 3. The usual debate about the schools not being good or not is not applicable to you, so that is good!

Hope you find what you are looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan0327 View Post
Gee, I am hoping that this is NOT an indication of how helpful and friendly Chattanoogans are -- I'm a brand new member and was hoping for a little Southern hospitality.

I've already googled Chattanooga; however, the info I found did not indicate what SECTION of Chattanooga would be the most compatible. Also, the information one finds on-line at sources like Wikipedia, etc., is not alway accurate. I find it best to ask the LOCAL residents.

If any of you could lead me in the right direction, your help, insight, and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

All I want to know is what section of Chattanooga would hold an older population (age 50 and above)?

[One can Google 'til the cows come home, but it's always best (and more accurate) to ask local residents.]

Thanks much.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbyrd View Post
Hi there! Great to hear you are considering a move to Chattanooga. I am guessing the previous poster was trying to be helpful, but maybe seemed a bit short. He actually has not moved to Chattanooga yet, but will be soon

We know quite a few older folks who find Chattanooga to be a great place for active older adults. I have heard N. Chattanooga is a good place with a great deal of diversity of age. We have friends in your age range in Stuart Heights, which is still North Chattanooga, but heading closer to Hixson. They say they love it! For a more urban, artsy feel in a neighborhood that is still up and coming, many are moving to the South side of town. I am not sure of the age breakdown there.

Although I really can't tell you where there are more people in your age range, I can say that we moved here about 9 months ago and LOVE it here. The people are warm and friendly, the weather is nice for most of the year, there is a lot to do if you enjoy the outdoors, and even if you do not there are fun things to do. I know this is not your priority, but we find there is so much for us to do with our daughter who will soon be 3. The usual debate about the schools not being good or not is not applicable to you, so that is good!

Hope you find what you are looking for!
Wow, this is what I was looking for -- thank you for taking the time to write. I'll look into North Chattanooga as a possible area to move to. I've visited Chattanooga several times over the past and found it to be very friendly overall. It's also a beautiful and scenic city, and I'm very eager to relocate there. Where did you live before relocating to Chattanooga?

Old 06-19-2008, 06:23 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
come on down! We came from South Florida and haven't had any regrets. The weather is temperate, the terrain is fantastic and the people are very nice for the most part.

There are some great people here on the forum so start asking questions. The more specific, the better!

Describe for us your "dream" neighborhood and who knows...we may be able to match you up with something good.

Will you be employed, and if so where? Chattanooga has an active biking community and encourages people to "bike 2 work". Once a month bike commuters meet on the Walnut Street Bridge for breakfast and a chance to swap stories. I went for the first time this month and definitely plan to go back.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
come on down! We came from South Florida and haven't had any regrets. The weather is temperate, the terrain is fantastic and the people are very nice for the most part.

There are some great people here on the forum so start asking questions. The more specific, the better!

Describe for us your "dream" neighborhood and who knows...we may be able to match you up with something good.

Will you be employed, and if so where? Chattanooga has an active biking community and encourages people to "bike 2 work". Once a month bike commuters meet on the Walnut Street Bridge for breakfast and a chance to swap stories. I went for the first time this month and definitely plan to go back.
I am a Certified Wedding Planner and also a Certified Massage Therapist (I guess that makes me certified (or CERTIFIABLE).

I posted a recent photo if anyone would be interested in a face with a name.

Dream neighborhood? I like that! Well..... it would be populated with mostly adults over 40. It would be very quiet, lots of trees/shrubbery, and the homes would be far enough apart to promote privacy. I'd rather have a small modest home with some privacy to it rather than a lavish one on top of my neighbors. I'm quite active (for a senior citizen) and would love to be able to ride my mountain bike on a regular basis. Basically, just a nice, friendly neighborhood where neighbors look out for each other.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:41 AM

5 posts, read 20,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan0327 View Post

Thanks much.
As I have learned, Chattanooga is a city with a great population devide. If you want to live near wealthy older folks....then the signal mountain area is best. Collagedale has many 50+ communities.....middle class. East Brainard is also ok (has city biggest mall). The downtown area is still under development, but a good place to live if you want to be close to city functions, resturants, art district, and museums. One thing I've notice is older folks are gathering at the local YMCA.....you should try their website. Give them a call and maybe they will link you up with a member who can give you more advise. Good Luck. ohh, if your a golfer....many golf communities all over Hamilton County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga