Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:11 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,865,763 times

Advertisements

TP is close to Calhoun's on the marina and that is a worthwhile place to visit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 02:18 PM

68 posts, read 372,737 times
Thanks I will check it out asap

Old 08-21-2010, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,408 times
I have lived in Coker Creek, Tn for 10 years. If you are looking to form friendships with the "natives" forget it, you will always be an outsider. They go to church twice a week but wouldn't help you. Most of the people here are on welfare or unemployment, cook meth, and will steal anything that ain't nailed down. It is an hour to a decent meal or shopping unless you like Walmart or the stuff that is served in Tellico Plains. Decent medical care is 1 1/2 hours away in Knoxville. They don't want anything new, they are happy being ignorant and view anyone with a brain as being a threat. There are no jobs here. If you have any black friends, they aren't allowed here.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,198 times
I'm fascinated by all this. My great grandfather and is brother left Tellico Plains to move to Texas in the late 1800's. Their last name was Hunt and 'family stories' say that 'Bucky' Hunt helped settle the area. Im not sure how many generations were between Bucky and my great grandfather, Thomas.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,077,321 times
I find it interesting that the person that had the most to write about Tellico Plains, most of it provocative, also said it had one of the highest taxes in the state when the tax rate is quite low. Take that for what it is worth.

Iva - my middle name! - you should come visit. Perhaps someone will know of your ancestors. Tellico Plains, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-03-2011, 11:25 PM

950 posts, read 3,180,426 times
I had great memories spending my times in the Coker Creek community in Tellico Plains. Very beautiful place!

I remember being told about black people over there, but I don't remember much about that.

The last time I drove to Tellico Plains was in the early 1990s. I wanted to drive to the North Carolina side, but it was impossible to drive on the incompleted skyway (Cherohala Skyway?). Had to drive all the way to Blount county to get to Robbinsville/Graham county, NC. Had nightmares about the journey several times - never again!

Old 03-24-2011, 03:39 PM

7 posts, read 9,346 times
Default Tellico plains

seeking information about the Tellico plains area of eastern Tennessee.Good neighborhood? schools,housing...any and all thoughts are welcome.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,634 times
Default Etowah, Tellico Plains?

We are looking to move to southeastern Tennessee. Could anyone please give feedback? We have a moderate income and are looking into the town of Etowah or Tellico Plaines. We are moving from our of state and love a more simple life, fishin and nature.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 3,152 times
Default Tellico Plains questions comments sought

Good morning.....My wife and I are born and raised Southerners who have spent the last twenty years living in Arizona . Retirement is soon to be upon us and we want to relocate. . We both miss the South and we both HATE the Califorication of what once was a rural little cowboy town . Our town has been invaded , occupied and horribly overpopulated .
Having spent lots of time in Tennessee back in the 80's and 90's , its one of my favorite places. I recently spent vacation there looking at different areas.
So......Who can tell me what life is like in Tellico Plains area ? All the usual....Medical care , restaurants , shopping . Flooding ? How about growth ? Is the area exploding ? Is the area being over run by Californians ?
Thanks for your help.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:36 PM

5,694 posts, read 3,522,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch2020 View Post
Good morning.....My wife and I are born and raised Southerners who have spent the last twenty years living in Arizona . Retirement is soon to be upon us and we want to relocate. . We both miss the South and we both HATE the Califorication of what once was a rural little cowboy town . Our town has been invaded , occupied and horribly overpopulated .
Having spent lots of time in Tennessee back in the 80's and 90's , its one of my favorite places. I recently spent vacation there looking at different areas.
So......Who can tell me what life is like in Tellico Plains area ? All the usual....Medical care , restaurants , shopping . Flooding ? How about growth ? Is the area exploding ? Is the area being over run by Californians ?
Thanks for your help.
It's been a few years (about 5) since I was in Tellico Plains. I blinked my eyes as I went through and almost missed it. You do understand that it's a really SMALL town located at the base of the Smokey Mountains, right? Population of about 800 people.

I didn't get the impression that it was being overrun by Californians... or anyone else except for the motorcyclists who are constantly traveling that route into or out of the mountains. To say that it's on a popular motorcycling riding route would be an understatement. There are a few tourist type places in town, one of which was a very popular hotdog stand right alongside the highway. There's a grocery story or two, an auto repair shop, a drug store, a couple of restaurants, and maybe a bar. There might even be a small bank, but I'm not sure.

My guess is that if you want medical care or much of anything else other than what I listed, you would need to drive into Madisonville which is perhaps 20 miles away. And Madisonville isn't exactly a metropolis. If you're wanting an even bigger town than Madisonville, Knoxville would be the closest which is probably an hour's drive or so from Tellico Plains.

If this sounds like something you'd like, then check it out. Personally, I'd be more inclined to look for something in Madisonville, Sweetwater, or Athens which are all in the same general area but not quite so small and have better access to more things. The countryside along I-75 in the Athens/Sweetwater area is just gorgeous if you like gently rolling hills, woods, and pasture fields without the steep rugged mountains that exist 45-50 miles east of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga