U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-06-2008, 03:00 PM

154 posts, read 248,000 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I spent last week looking around Knoxville and Chattanooga. We're relocating from Dallas; Chattanooga won hands down! The city is beautiful and "feels" like home.

We found a property on W Road on Signal Mountain. It is 40 years old, kinda small, but has 4.9 acres and has a beautiful view. It needs a lot of work, but that's the kind of property we like to buy.

The asking has been reduced to $199k which seems super low since there is a property just "above" it on E Brow that is on the market for $990,000.

My question: is there something that we should know about "W Road" which is keeping the price of the property depressed?

Thanks!
Lisa
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 09:28 PM

81 posts, read 155,764 times
Lisa99,
Sounds like we took a very similar journey. We thought Knoxville for sure and just happened to stay at Chattanooga for a day and feel that it will be our future home, perhaps as soon as next spring! Signal Mountain is our target area as well.

I saw your possible new home on the web. Beautiful views, 5 acres...does make you wonder. Seems like that much land alone would almost go for 200K. Does the "W" road wind off the mountain?

Perhaps the sellers are anxious to sell since summer is over and folks are settled in thier respective schools.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:22 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,286,528 times
I don't know anything about the property, but W Road is a very tricky road to traverse. Wanting to compare Knoxville to Chattanooga? Check out the ultimate thread for just that: Visiting Chattanooga and Knoxville...need advice please

we've got video of driving down W Road on there

Old 09-09-2008, 07:58 AM

2,350 posts, read 7,434,928 times
Welcome!

Isn't that on the middle of the W road? It's not as scary there but when it freezes/snows (haha) that road is one of the first to close. Probably because of the treacherous curves at the top. I would question the steepness of the driveway and the property as it is on the side of the mtn. Other than that it looks like a nice place

As far as the brow properties, they are always higher priced, as are water locations. It's a privilige to have a view and it'll cost ya'. With all the trees and such there might not be much of a view from that spot and that may be why it's comparably cheaper. I can't think of any other reasons. On a good note, if that is Signal Mtn wouldn't you only have to pay county taxes and not city? That would be good

Old 09-09-2008, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the tip on the thread on Knoxville vs Chattanooga.

We did the trip other way around. Started in Knoxville (Townsend, Wears Valley, Maryville) and then came to Chattanooga.

We're both "teleworkers" and can work from anywhere in the country as long as we have broadband and access to an airport. We've been investigating different states for the last year or so and have finally decided on Tennessee.

Since we live in Dallas now and don't want to live in another big city, we know we'll have to sacrifice being able to fly direct, but trading a big airport for the beauty of TN is well worth it.

Knoxville was #1 on our list because it had a bigger airport and more direct flights but we wanted to live close to lots of hiking and outdoor activities so that meant living in Townsend or Wears Valley. It was beautiful in the valley but most of the homes in the mountains are weekend people and almost all of the houses are log cabins :-)....nothing wrong with a log cabin mind you, but some of the properties had been on the market for several years and it kinda spooked us....but what sealed the deal against the area was that we could only have sattelite internet which just won't work for us.

We then checked out Maryville. Nice place, but not the beauty we're looking for. Knoxville proper was next. Again, it was nice, but we just didn't feel like we were "home". So on Friday, we started the drive back to Dallas, but thank heavens decided at the last minute to check out Chattanooga on the way home.

We had originally ruled out the Chatt because the airport had fewer direct flights, but on our drive back to Dallas from Knoxville we impulsively decided to see what all the fuss is about regarding your beautiful city....

Let me tell you, the fuss is justified :-)

We started on Lookout Mtn, then went to Signal Mtn and drove the neighborhoods on both. And since we'd started our search earlier in the week in the Smoky Mountains "the W" wasn't too bad....not fun, but not terrifying.

Once we got back to Dallas I started researching Chatt in earnest. We're in our 40s and love to spend time outdoors so when I found out that Signal Mountain has part of the Cumberland trail on it and that there are tons of hiking trails on the mountain + Signal Mtn seems to have lots of neighborhood social activities we were sold.

We have a follow-up trip planned for the weekend of September 26. We have a realtor who is going to show us several houses and some of the cultural stuff that we missed on our last trip. After the upcoming trip we'll decide whether we'll be moving to your wonderful city. We're pretty sure the answer will be "YES" so the hard part will be having restraint and not buying a house while on our visit since we have a house in Dallas to get on the market and get sold.

Sorry for the super-long post, but I'm a life-long Texan, who has never really like living in Texas and now I think I know why...I was meant to be born a Tennesseean!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:11 PM

12,546 posts, read 18,443,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa99 View Post
Sorry for the super-long post, but I'm a life-long Texan, who has never really like living in Texas and now I think I know why...I was meant to be born a Tennesseean!
Lisa, I am married to a native Texan and he absolutely loves living here in Tennessee. So happy to hear that you have found your "home".

Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 PM

1,109 posts, read 3,049,886 times
Thumbs up WELCOME HIKE Link

Lisa: WELCOME to the club house. We moved up 2 years ago and also spend web time looking at hike / bike trails. Chattanooga Hiking Club
here is Major hike link with about 40 sub links, CT or 305 linear mile state park Cumberland trail up on Walden ridge is on far right column.
.. Some pics below must be real close to your spot ,.? Brow example.
ATLANTA ariport? You did not mention, can drive there on I-75 is about 90 minutes ??

Old 09-09-2008, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the link Split!

We've looked at the drive time to both Nashville and Atlanta airports for when the layover is longer than the drive time would be to the larger airport.

Both airports are definitely good options....and as a matter we got to test the theory today...DH may be running a project in China, so we searched flight options based out of Chattanooga. It was much faster for him to drive to Atlanta and then go from there.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 PM

69 posts, read 168,087 times
We're also moving from the DFW area to Chattanooga. My husband is already there and my son and I will be as soon as our house here sells. We can't wait...I have never liked living here in TX...way too HOT for me!!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 PM

Congrats Bluebird! Where in TX are you moving from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga