U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:32 PM

81 posts, read 152,222 times
Default Japanesse Beetles

Ok locals I got one for you. We get swarmed every fall with Japanesse Beetles. They get into our house, on our windows and have a nasty bite. I think when the farmers cut their fields they flock to the homes. My siding is covered with hundreds of them. Does the promise land of 'Nooga and Signal Mountain have these little creatures to this extent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 03:52 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,981,302 times
Default Late Spring Plants

F.T. Sorry to hear THAT. Not on the house here in the fall.
Quite bad for plants, fruit trees in late spring , early summer. Past 2 years nasty & wife angry. Next year is the LIQUID SEVIN in new can sprayer we won at the county fair.
. Rose bushes get de-leafed, fruit Cherry trees, all the landscape plants, never the wild bushes in the woods. Mid summer gone. Stuff grows back, just before hot drought .
.Any Help.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:00 PM

12,506 posts, read 17,930,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen tundra View Post
Ok locals I got one for you. We get swarmed every fall with Japanesse Beetles. They get into our house, on our windows and have a nasty bite. I think when the farmers cut their fields they flock to the homes. My siding is covered with hundreds of them. Does the promise land of 'Nooga and Signal Mountain have these little creatures to this extent?
There are Japanese Beetles and to what extent varies from yard to yard and area to area.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:14 PM

9,023 posts, read 21,180,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen tundra View Post
I'm afraid it's too late to do much about them for this year. You should probably set off a bug bomb inside your house. The beetles will still get into your house, but at least they'll die as soon as they do.

I used to live in a house in East Knox County that always got infested with them every fall/winter. My neighbors' homes were free and clear. I called the U.T. agricultural extension people, and they explained to me that there is no rhyme nor reason why the beetles pick one house over another. It's just pure luck.

They love the heat, so in the summer they stay outside. As soon as the air starts to get chilly, they head for your house. They creep in through any crack on the outside of your house.

Most pest control companies can spray your house towards the end of the summer. It kills the beetles as they enter the house. A few might still get through, however.

If you want to kill them without using chemicals, you can use dishwashing detergent. Attach one of those reservoir things to your hose and put some dishwashing detergent in it (like Dawn). If you find the bush or tree where the Japanese beetles are swarming, spray it down. The detergent will mix with the water and give a very thin coating to the beetles making it impossible for them to fly. They fall to the ground and die. You'll probably have to do this a couple of times before you get them all.

Good luck!

Old 10-31-2008, 06:42 PM

13,608 posts, read 7,031,376 times
I think y'all are talking about the Asian ladybugs. Two years ago we were swarmed by the millions after it warmed up after a cold spell. Last year and this year has not been nearly as bad. I just use a shop vac inside........

Old 10-31-2008, 06:52 PM

12,506 posts, read 17,930,327 times
Funny - I just saw a ladybug on the exterior of the front door this evening.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:03 PM

245 posts, read 448,289 times
Actually, they are Asian Beetles and you should see my bathroom ceiling! I have at least 50 and they keep on coming. They come every year to the side of the house that gets the sun and slither their little selves on in and take up residence. We had them last one year until February and it was disgusting. They are breeding on my window sill and then sometimes the males die afterwards.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainAire View Post
Actually, they are Asian Beetles and you should see my bathroom ceiling! I have at least 50 and they keep on coming. They come every year to the side of the house that gets the sun and slither their little selves on in and take up residence. We had them last one year until February and it was disgusting. They are breeding on my window sill and then sometimes the males die afterwards.
Shop-vac will clean them up real quick and easy.....

I've heard a pest control company can spray your entire house outside (before they swarm) and last about a month...

Old 11-01-2008, 10:33 AM

9,023 posts, read 21,180,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Shop-vac will clean them up real quick and easy.....

I've heard a pest control company can spray your entire house outside (before they swarm) and last about a month...
Yes, as I said in my earlier post, a pest control company can spray the outside of the house BEFORE the weather gets cold. Once the weather gets cold, it's too late until the next season.

A bug bomb inside the house won't keep them out, but it'll kill them as soon as they get in the house.

Until the weather gets warm again at night, the critters will live blissfully in the walls of your house where it's nice and warm and they go back outside.

When I lived out in the country I had a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment set up 24/7 in my house. It was so disgusting, I'd have to empty the vacuum bags at least once a week and they were filled with thousands of those Asian beetles. They smell awful.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yes, as I said in my earlier post, a pest control company can spray the outside of the house BEFORE the weather gets cold. Once the weather gets cold, it's too late until the next season.

A bug bomb inside the house won't keep them out, but it'll kill them as soon as they get in the house.

Until the weather gets warm again at night, the critters will live blissfully in the walls of your house where it's nice and warm and they go back outside.

When I lived out in the country I had a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment set up 24/7 in my house. It was so disgusting, I'd have to empty the vacuum bags at least once a week and they were filled with thousands of those Asian beetles. They smell awful.
It's weird that some houses they don't touch and others they do. Maybe have something to do with color ? They do bite, and crush one they stink bad and stain...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga