Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:26 AM

111 posts, read 598,921 times

Advertisements

we moved from tampa in june and settled on signal mountain because of the great schools. My wife got a dream job teaching for a local college. My son had a hard time adjusting and still hasn't because there isn't much of anything to do outside. There are no sidewalks on signal or anywhere else for that matter and so both my 8 and 5 year old couldn't ride their bikes safely. The driveways are soo steep that I couldn't keep my boat at the house. So i paid alotta money for dry storage. The mall is 20 miles away. There are 31 sharp turns off and on signal mountain. The pay is very bad here for r.n.s and college instructors, yet we thought that housing was gonna be very affordable. If you want a bad school district they are cheap! We found an awesome house down in hixson with flat ground, good schools, sidewalks, and community pool for 350,000 but taxes were waay high...but still you've gotta look at gray skies and rain all winter! People don't seem to mind driving 100 miles or more to go anywhere and to drive to work everyday!
Morbid obesity is the norm here! Holy smoke, I've never seen so many HUGE people. And my guess is it has to do with "too cold to run, to wet to be outside, and the hills hurt my knees!" Smokers! Now that the businesses are in the 21st century they don't allow smokers in the restaurants, but they do allow the smokers to barricade the entrances so you have to duck and cover through the cancer clouds everytime you enter.
More? No water pressure on signal. Everyone is too wound up in church, they thank god for everything...take credit for something!
No diversity. The other day I watched my son come out of thrasher and was struck by the uniformity.
Been there done that musums, shops downtown...a great place to spend an afternoon, but not live there.
Don't take it personally...I need hot weather, water, sun, shopping and an hodgepodge of people around me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 06:20 AM

283 posts, read 900,341 times
Did you drive up and down the mountain before you bought? Look at the neighborhood and notice the lack of sidewalks? Notice the slope of the driveway? Research nieghborhoods, pay and jobs? Look around and notice the chubby people, number of churches, and lack of diversity while you were here checking out the area before moving here, or did you move here sight unseen? Did you do any checking out of things and/or make a list of wants and needs before you moved? What did you base your decisions on, if you didn't do these things? Did you think it would be "North Tampa"? Sorry you're not liking the choices you made, and hope you have the wherewithall to change them more to your liking.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,962 times
I lived in Tampa for 9 years, and 8 more in Fort Lauderdale and I like Chattanooga 10 times better than both of those cities. Looks like you didn't do your homework before you moved here. What you didn't mention in your tirade was just how nice the people are that make up this community, and it is very diverse. Maybe not on lily-white Signal Mountain, but Chattanooga proper is and I personally love it here. I wouldn't go back to Florida even if I won a free house on the beach.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:04 AM

49 posts, read 247,921 times
We are moving to Chattanooga from south of Tampa, and moving pretty much, for the reasons you hate it! We've visited 4 times now, talked to many Chattanoogans & we are SOOO excited to move. If we could, we'd fit what we could in our cars, leave everything else and go. But, everyone is different, everyone likes different things. What's not good for you, is great for someone else. Sorry you are unhappy, but I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 11:43 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
everyone calm down

The Scenic City isn't for everyone, and from my vantage point our friend Helix will probably talk at least 20 Floridians out of moving up here and for that I say thank you

Old 12-02-2008, 04:40 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,355 times
Gosh Helix...I'll gladly trade places with ya! I'm in sunny Southern California, and would love to be there! Good luck to ya guy!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:21 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helix139 View Post
we moved from tampa in june and settled on signal mountain because of the great schools. My wife got a dream job teaching for a local college. My son had a hard time adjusting and still hasn't because there isn't much of anything to do outside. There are no sidewalks on signal or anywhere else for that matter and so both my 8 and 5 year old couldn't ride their bikes safely. The driveways are soo steep that I couldn't keep my boat at the house. So i paid alotta money for dry storage. The mall is 20 miles away. There are 31 sharp turns off and on signal mountain. The pay is very bad here for r.n.s and college instructors, yet we thought that housing was gonna be very affordable. If you want a bad school district they are cheap! We found an awesome house down in hixson with flat ground, good schools, sidewalks, and community pool for 350,000 but taxes were waay high...but still you've gotta look at gray skies and rain all winter! People don't seem to mind driving 100 miles or more to go anywhere and to drive to work everyday!
Morbid obesity is the norm here! Holy smoke, I've never seen so many HUGE people. And my guess is it has to do with "too cold to run, to wet to be outside, and the hills hurt my knees!" Smokers! Now that the businesses are in the 21st century they don't allow smokers in the restaurants, but they do allow the smokers to barricade the entrances so you have to duck and cover through the cancer clouds everytime you enter.
More? No water pressure on signal. Everyone is too wound up in church, they thank god for everything...take credit for something!
No diversity. The other day I watched my son come out of thrasher and was struck by the uniformity.
Been there done that musums, shops downtown...a great place to spend an afternoon, but not live there.
Don't take it personally...I need hot weather, water, sun, shopping and an hodgepodge of people around me.
I have a nice wooded lot near Crystal River, FL I will sell you at a good price.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:38 PM

246 posts, read 755,150 times
Makes a person wonder why you moved here.
You didn't do your homework.
Have a nice trip back down to sunny, flat, hot, perfect people in Florida.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helix139 View Post
Grey skies and rain in winter. Yikes, who would have guessed it if a college instructor missed it?

Did they remove the sidewalks between the time you looked at houses and the time you moved in? Did they move the mall to 20 miles away after you bought your home? Did they put in curvy roads between the time you got your house and the time you moved into it?

Signal Mountain... steep inclines, hmmm, I can see how that name would throw off most people.

I bet those fat, happy, thankful people don't know how stupid and miserable they are.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:35 PM

49 posts, read 247,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
everyone calm down

The Scenic City isn't for everyone, and from my vantage point our friend Helix will probably talk at least 20 Floridians out of moving up here and for that I say thank you
Won't talk me out of it, ROFLMAO, but hope you weren't referring to me. Wish we would have moved last year, when we first starting looking into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga