Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 01:26 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,351,655 times

Advertisements

I've been through Chatt several times. I like the area. I did also drive through what must be the very low income / high crime area with a friend that was looking at homes.

I'm currently working in Nashville, but I'm closer to Chatt and have applied for a job there. I'll be 1.5 hours away from home and quite honestly, the commute is getting old. So I'm thinking of just buying a cheap little house there and staying during the week.

So, can anyone tell me what area to avoid? I'll be there alone; hubby and kids will stay at the home in VB Co. I can bring one of the dogs with me for some protection (rottweiler or shepherd), and I've got killer aim (retired law enforcement), so I'm not too concerned about my safety, but at the same time I'd rather be in a safer area. My husband would worry himself to death if I wound up in the area I was looking at with a friend! And I'd worry about the dog while I was at work.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 10,096 times
Avoid the southern part of down town or north Chatt, also south Red Bank. The mountains are the best place, but a little pricy sometimes. Same with down town Chatt near the river on the southern side. Hixson is not bad overall, but busy sometimes on the main roads like Hixson Pike.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:24 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,618,049 times
What do you consider cheap? "Cheap" at 60k is alot different than "cheap" at $100k. If we are talking $35k your choices are limited to pretty much those areas you want to avoid. All of them.

Maybe a condo in Red Bank zip 37415 for under 65k might fit you. There will be people close by and both you and your family won't have to worry as much...

Old 01-09-2009, 04:27 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,351,655 times
Hmmmmm.........

Thinking perhaps renting might be a better option. I was hoping in the $40k range. But if I'll be alone maybe I can find a room to rent some place. It'll just be me during the week, sleeping and heading back to work. Don't really need an entire house. And if it's just a room and I"m renting from someone else at least I won't be alone. Hubby'd feel better about that........

Thanks for the ideas though. Even renting, they'll still apply!

Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 PM

15 posts, read 38,940 times
Collegedale, Harrison, Ooltewah all seem like pretty nice areas. Nice apartments around here though, and inexpensive! I've only been here for a short time myself so far (couple months) but the areas to avoid seem to stand out pretty well.

Also, there's an area around Brainerd (maybe East Brainerd) near IHOP, CiCi's, Wal-Mart (there), Longhorn Restaurant, Huddle House, that I hear isn't such a good area. I don't know what part of Chattanooga any local would call it though.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:29 AM

849 posts, read 2,943,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayekantspeylgud View Post
Collegedale, Harrison, Ooltewah all seem like pretty nice areas. Nice apartments around here though, and inexpensive! I've only been here for a short time myself so far (couple months) but the areas to avoid seem to stand out pretty well.

Also, there's an area around Brainerd (maybe East Brainerd) near IHOP, CiCi's, Wal-Mart (there), Longhorn Restaurant, Huddle House, that I hear isn't such a good area. I don't know what part of Chattanooga any local would call it though.
We can call that area Ihopseewallhorn House!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:58 AM

390 posts, read 1,695,746 times
In you price range for both rentals and maybe a condo to buy, I would suggest Red Bank. There are a lot of apartments on Mountain Creek Road and there are condos over that way too.

Here is the link for the Chattanooga Association of Realtors:
MLSAreaListings.com

You can search for condos in the area and 37415 is Red Bank. We live in Hixson 37343 and love it, but not sure how the rent would be on a room or small apartment. Also not sure about condos here.

Not sure where the new job will be, but that may determine where you look too. I mean if you are working in E. Brainerd, then Red Bank may not be the place.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:24 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,618,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayekantspeylgud View Post
That's EXACTLY the area I am in (it's pretty much called Brainerd). Except that I am between Brainerd Rd and I24 which makes a BIG difference as opposed to the area between Brainerd Rd and Shallowford. Weird but true. Pretty decent area and schools really. The only issue I have had was a neighbor kid stealing Gatoraid from my driveway. I WAS July so I kinda understand lol

Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 AM

635 posts, read 1,680,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
That's EXACTLY the area I am in (it's pretty much called Brainerd). Except that I am between Brainerd Rd and I24 which makes a BIG difference as opposed to the area between Brainerd Rd and Shallowford. Weird but true. Pretty decent area and schools really. The only issue I have had was a neighbor kid stealing Gatoraid from my driveway. I WAS July so I kinda understand lol
Gotta stay hydrated! lol

Old 02-04-2009, 09:43 AM

52 posts, read 181,171 times
There's one area that seems it MIGHT suit you...40k would be low end though...

It's on Mountain creek rd. Quall Hollow.

It's a apartment complex (sorta) only each house is privately owned...Looks to have a solid community and people who watch out for each other...to buy I've seen them listed around 80k...but to rent you may land a better deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga