Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:09 PM

103 posts, read 296,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hishiad View Post
Number 1 I'm not sure what you're thinking with that statement there's not even 97% white (majority redneck) in my building at work or company for that matter. You think Chattanooga is majority white head up to Morgan County where I came from. If you count families in the county you can probably count on one or two hands all the ethnic families in the entire area.
Where in the world is Morgan County?
I lived in Hamilton County which is 15 minutes from downtown Chattanooga. The last 4 years I lived in Catoosa County (GA but we were just across the border 10 minutes from Hamilton Place Mall), and those areas are 97% white.
We had friends visit from San Diego and one is Vietnamese, and she was scared because there weren't any Asian People anywhere.

Number 5 I've not noticed any stray animals at all....which is actually kind of odd in itself.
You must not be looking, because they are everywhere. My wife and I have taken in a total of 6 cats, 3 dogs, and we've seen/feed many others just in our neighborhood. Luckily we were able to find homes for the dogs...We've also talked to the local shelters and the Humane Society and they've said it's REALLY BAD there.

Number 6 is pretty outlandish. I've been researching schools via www.greatschools.net and Chattanooga has more 7+ ratings than the previous place I lived although also in TN. But for the area to have so many I'd say means a lot.
I'm sure greatschools.net isn't the "expert" on school ratings. My wife's friends are native to Chattanooga and say the school are horrible and that the high school graduation rate is something like 60%
From Chatt Free Press (2007):"At a time when producing an educated work force is of utmost importance, the graduation rate at seven of Hamilton County’s 17 high schools decreased last year"

Number 9 is a bit of a shot. I've been in other states and the only difference in what you say is the "southern" part. They do the same thing up north in NY or Boston treat their own well and look down on the "hillbilly" or "redneck" so I think this one is an -everywhere- you go situation so kind of pointless to add.
It's not pointless if you're from the north (or west coast) and you're thinking of moving to the south.

Number 10 I've yet to see this, but I'm not going to outright call it untruthful either. I've not tested the job markets in many places, but I moved to Chattanooga for a job too so I didn't have to look around when I got here. Overall I wouldn't call it a Good Ol' Boy Network so much as a familiarity thing. In most fields especially the engineering field which I work in people tend to move and though the places change the faces seem to come and go. You'll see a lot of the same people in the field as they are established.
I've experienced this first hand. Let's just say it involved a lawsuit and the opposing lawyers/judge knowing each other...

Number 11 I'm a bit surprised as someone from CA would complain about TN having -hot- summers. I think they're relatively mild myself. Except for a few years back when we had the 50 something day drought, but even then we only hit triple digits a few days although humidity added to the heat it wasn't sooo unbearable unless you happen to be an outside worker.
Where are you originally from? The Amazon Jungle?!
Mild?! July/Augusts the temp is rarely below 90 and the humidity is unbearable!
California is 70 and no humidity pretty much year round

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, these are just my responses to yours! Hope you're happy where you are now though

Yes, I'm very happy now, thanks

Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 PM

forgot to respond to these points:

2. Too conservative/religious (Southern Baptist Church every 1/2 mile)
Mostly agree, but it's the bible belt what did you expect?
Figured Chattanooga was a city, not like Ringgold and that it'd be a little more diverse. Atlanta is totally different and that's still considered the Bible Belt.

3. Constant road construction
Tennessee has some of the best roads in the country...why? because they spend so much money and time upgrading and repairing it's a double edge sword
Best roads in the country?!
75 (around USXpress) has been under construction since before I moved there and was still being worked on after I left!

4. Horrible radio stations
Can't argue at all dead on there are maybe 2 or 3 stations that are completely lame and even those few have issues with playing the same ol' crap as the other hit pop station
We agree totally

7. Lots of overweight people (and smokers)
This my friend is a national thing, but yeah lots of weight issues with the south in general it's all those homecooked farmboy friendly meals
the south ALWAYS ranks the lowest in healthy state lists. I've never in my life seen so many fat people and I've lived on both coasts and in the north, and have travelled extensively.
America’s Health Rankings – 2008 Edition shows Vermont at the top of the list of healthiest states. This is the second year that Vermont has been ranked number one. Hawaii is ranked second this year; it was third in the 2007 Edition. Louisiana is 50th and the least healthy state, while Mississippi is 49th. South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas complete the bottom five states.

8. Lots of teen mothers
I don't know any numbers but I don't think this is something that is outright more noticeable in Chattanooga compared to say an Atlanta, New York City, or any other large city
Once again, the south ALWAYS is on most teen pregnancies lists and probably because it's an area where abstinenance only education is taught...
found this:
Among states with available data, Arkansas had the highest pregnancy rate among non-
Hispanic white teenagers (77 per 1,000). Pregnancy rates among this group were also
high in other Southern states: Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Kentucky and South
Carolina (71–73 per 1,000)."

Old 02-18-2009, 04:25 PM

268 posts, read 887,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkGuy View Post
Sorry but Californian's love to say there is no humidity here, but there is! I'm orinignally from Florida and I felt the humidity in LA the first summer here. The facts are the facts...at times, it will get up to 110 degrees in the summer with 75% humidity, it's absolutely horrible. IT's HOT here...period.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 06:27 AM..

Old 02-18-2009, 05:15 PM

730 posts, read 1,910,684 times
Quote:

8. Lots of teen mothers
I don't know any numbers but I don't think this is something that is outright more noticeable in Chattanooga compared to say an Atlanta, New York City, or any other large city
Once again, the south ALWAYS is on most teen pregnancies lists and probably because it's an area where abstinenance only education is taught...
More likely culture rather than training or lack of it.

I showed my wife an example of the culture difference in another area. Property up keep. Drive across the Mason Dixon line and you can almost immediately see the difference. One is not bad, just a different view of things.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah1979 View Post
Sorry but Californian's love to say there is no humidity here, but there is! I'm orinignally from Florida and I felt the humidity in LA the first summer here. The facts are the facts...at times, it will get up to 110 degrees in the summer with 75% humidity, it's absolutely horrible. IT's HOT here...period.

I went to college in the Valley out there and it was hot, not humid.
I also lived in San Diego and Laguna Beach and you can't EVEN compare them to Chattanooga.
Do you live (or have you lived) in Chattanooga?

If you're saying Chattanooga and CA are the same humidity-wise, forgive me, but you're insane.

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 06:27 AM..

Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 PM

137 posts, read 428,902 times
Default My responses:

Quote:
1. No diversity - I would say 97% white (majority rednecks)
According to this site it's actually 59%, so that's outright wrong. The note about the majority of them being rednecks is also an obvious falsehood, though it may have been meant as a hyperbole. In my school of over 200 kids, I wouldn't consider more than two or three of them true rednecks. But that's extremely subjective. And since when is it okay to discriminate against groups of people because of their culture?

Quote:
So "religious" is automatically equated with conservatism? I can assure you that there isn't a Southern Baptist Church every half mile, but will definitely agree that there's at least one church of some kind every half mile, and undoubtedly of some Protestant form (typical in the Southern United States); there are only two Catholic churches and one Eastern Orthodox churches that I know of. And certainly, the number of people who believe that dinosaurs and people have walked around at the same time is above average, and the area in general seems pretty conservative. (Though the city itself went for Obama, I believe). But this is something obvious for anyone moving into the South, and it is again subjective whether or not this is a negative.

Quote:
3. Constant road construction
Not where I drive; I rarely encounter construction, and the roads aren't poor quality, either. There are a few strectches that seem to stay in construction for ever, but I wouldn't count this as a major negative in most people's cases. (I can't say whether or not this is better or worse in other cities.)

Quote:
5. Horrendous stray animal problem
Again, this is something that I have not encountered at all and do not think should be counted as a major issue if it does exist.

Quote:
6. Schools are terrible (except for the private schools that cost a fortune)
In my general experience I've considered Hamilton County schools below average, but not terrible. My personal experiences at Westview Elementary and Ooltewah Middle School were ranged from good to acceptable. (And that means a lot coming from a "gifted" student.) I hated Ooltewah High and switched to David Brainerd, where I am getting a good education that doesn't cost a fortune.

Quote:
7. Lots of overweight people (and smokers)
I don't encounter tons of smokers, but sure, overweight people are a plenty. Again, that's something to expect, and again, that's something that doesn't impinge on one's own well being, and again, that's unkind and discriminatory. (Not to say that I think obesity isn't a major problem or is at all acceptable.) About 30.1% of Tennessee adults are obese. That's compared to 26% percent nation-wide, so that's actually only 4% more.

Quote:
8. Lots of teen mothers
Again, not something I have encountered, and again, that's something that doesn't impinge on one's own well being, and again, that's unkind and discriminatory.

Quote:
9. Fake southern hospitality (southerners are only "really" nice to other southerners...if you're a "yankee" (yes they still call northerners that!) watch out))
Again, something that I have not seen at all and have not heard about from "Yankee" friends. (I do not consider myself "Southern", though I have been raised here.) I rarely hear the word "Yankee" and don't recall any specific instance. I think this one is outright wrong.

Quote:
Oh, #11 horrible summers! hot, humid, and lots of bugs...you'll barracade yourself into your house with the air conditioning blasting and rarely do anything outside. (and spring lasts about 2 weeks)
Here's a good one! To be fair, spring lasts for a good to months, and most of the summer isn't that bad. However, there is a 1.5 month stretch that's pretty bad. I still do a lot of stuff outdoors, though.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 AM

243 posts, read 689,740 times
Actually Blue, there are more than 2 Catholic churches in Chattanooga. There is OLPH, St. Jude, St. Stephen, St. Peter and Paul, Our Lady of the Mount (lookout mountain), St. Augustine (Signal), and Holy Spirit Catholic Church (Soddy Daisy).

Old 02-19-2009, 10:04 AM

268 posts, read 887,891 times
Quote:
Quote:
I went to college in the Valley out there and it was hot, not humid.
I also lived in San Diego and Laguna Beach and you can't EVEN compare them to Chattanooga.
Do you live (or have you lived) in Chattanooga?

If you're saying Chattanooga and CA are the same humidity-wise, forgive me, but you're insane.
Did you not see where I am from? Chattanooga doesn't even come close to Florida for humidity. My wife was born and raised here and she even states she's never felt it so humid here like it's been the last few years. I'm not saying the humidity is the same, i'm saying there's not much difference. The links that I provided show that. If you haven't been here in the last 10 years then you might not know that the weather is changing....

Also, my parents live in chattanooga, so I go there all the time.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:55 AM

10 posts, read 36,862 times
Quote:
8. Lots of teen mothers
Don't really want to get involved, just wanted to point out how ironic it is that TN has so many religious folks and yet ranks so high on the teen mother list.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCuzco View Post
According to this site it's actually 59%, so that's outright wrong. The note about the majority of them being rednecks is also an obvious falsehood, though it may have been meant as a hyperbole. In my school of over 200 kids, I wouldn't consider more than two or three of them true rednecks. But that's extremely subjective. And since when is it okay to discriminate against groups of people because of their culture?
If you notice the statistics, except for african americans there are no other nationalities (2% doesn't count).
I guess I just must be blind to all the ethnicity when I'm driving around Hamilton County/Catoosa County, etc.
The majority of my friends in Chattanooga aren't rednecks, but go 5 miles outside of Hamilton Country and Rebel Flags are commonplace.
Redneck is almost always associated with racism/intolerance

So "religious" is automatically equated with conservatism? I can assure you that there isn't a Southern Baptist Church every half mile, but will definitely agree that there's at least one church of some kind every half mile, and undoubtedly of some Protestant form (typical in the Southern United States); there are only two Catholic churches and one Eastern Orthodox churches that I know of. And certainly, the number of people who believe that dinosaurs and people have walked around at the same time is above average, and the area in general seems pretty conservative. (Though the city itself went for Obama, I believe). But this is something obvious for anyone moving into the South, and it is again subjective whether or not this is a negative.
Ok, A church every 1/2 mile...the majority being Baptist. Yes, I do equate religion (Baptist) with being conservative (extreme right).
I believe Christians look down upon Catholics if I'm not mistaken.

Not where I drive; I rarely encounter construction, and the roads aren't poor quality, either. There are a few strectches that seem to stay in construction for ever, but I wouldn't count this as a major negative in most people's cases. (I can't say whether or not this is better or worse in other cities.)
I lived in/driven around most major cities and haven't seen this much construction. One example was Graysville Rd by the railroad tracks. That road took WAY too long to finish. I can't exactly remember, but it was close to a year to do that small stretch.

Again, this is something that I have not encountered at all and do not think should be counted as a major issue if it does exist.

In my general experience I've considered Hamilton County schools below average, but not terrible. My personal experiences at Westview Elementary and Ooltewah Middle School were ranged from good to acceptable. (And that means a lot coming from a "gifted" student.) I hated Ooltewah High and switched to David Brainerd, where I am getting a good education that doesn't cost a fortune.

I don't encounter tons of smokers, but sure, overweight people are a plenty. Again, that's something to expect, and again, that's something that doesn't impinge on one's own well being, and again, that's unkind and discriminatory. (Not to say that I think obesity isn't a major problem or is at all acceptable.) About 30.1% of Tennessee adults are obese. That's compared to 26% percent nation-wide, so that's actually only 4% more.

Again, not something I have encountered, and again, that's something that doesn't impinge on one's own well being, and again, that's unkind and discriminatory.

Again, something that I have not seen at all and have not heard about from "Yankee" friends. (I do not consider myself "Southern", though I have been raised here.) I rarely hear the word "Yankee" and don't recall any specific instance. I think this one is outright wrong.
Well my wife went to school in Chatty (Chatt State) and heard the term yankee quite a few times. Why would you hear the term if you are from here?

Here's a good one! To be fair, spring lasts for a good to months, and most of the summer isn't that bad. However, there is a 1.5 month stretch that's pretty bad. I still do a lot of stuff outdoors, though.
The 5 years I've lived there, it really seems that it's nice for about 2 weeks, then it gets up to 90.

Last edited by PunkGuy; 02-19-2009 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga