Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 PM

13 posts, read 38,164 times

Advertisements

Soddy-Daisy is a long commute. I, too, think that Ooltewah (an unincorporated area of the county) and its neighbor, Collegedale, would be much better choices. 25% of Chattanooga area residents enroll their children in private schools. McCallie, Baylor and Girls Prep are outstanding secular schools but they are quite a distance from the VW plant. There are also a number of Christian schools. Collegedale offers education at Seventh-day Adventist schools from kindergarten through master's degree and the schools accept students who are not Adventists. Their high school has won many outstanding awards and their university offers a large choice of undergraduate and a more limited number of graduate majors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,556 times
There is a nice neighborhood close to the lake that we drive through from time to time. Wolftever Landing. It is close to the new VW plant- maybe 10 minutes. We drove through last weekend after leaving Island Cove for dinner.There were a couple of homes for sale. Guess the homes are priced from $250K-$350K. I think that they are zoned for Wallace and Hunter, which are highly regarded for academic achievement. Anyway just a thought..

Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 PM

24 posts, read 79,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudwalker4 View Post
Thanks for the info. Could anyone give me more subdivision options in Ooltewah, Harrison, Cleveland areas? Looking for a safe (possible gated) community. Priced houses around 300,000 range. Also, if anyone has children in these school districts, please let me know how they are. Specifically middle/high schools. I have a 15 y/o and a 10 y/o. School systems area the main priority for the relocation. Thanks for any infor that you can provide.

Sharon
I seem to be the only one relocating without a VW job, but relocating we are...from Texas.

We have a daughter who will be going into HS and we went and visited with Ooltewah, Signal Mountain and Baylor (private school). We decided to go with Ooltewah as it seemed to offer the most comparable to what we are in here in Texas. She will be in Advanced Classes so that is important to us, but also does sports.

Good luck and I plan on continuing to check out how everyone's relocation fares.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellagrace View Post
Anyone know when they will hire production? Any insight would be very helpful.Thanks
I just read on the online Chattanooga newspaper that they are going to start that October 26th.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:22 PM

63 posts, read 183,330 times
We got into the VW vicinity last year and we are in the middle of Ooltewah and Harrison, we love it here.
It takes less than 10 mins to get to the VW site and we are zoned for Smith, Hunter, and Central. Our neighbors are zoned for Smith, Hunter, & Ooltewah. There are 2 ways for me to travel to get to the plant. I can turn left out of my driveway and hit Snow Hill Road and then to Enterprise (VW) through Ooltewah. Or I can turn right and hit 58 from Hunter and then take Hickory Valley almost directly to it. Not a bad deal! The homes here are reasonable and if you prefer, higher end near the golf course and lake. Nice area with decent shopping within a few minutes in most any direction.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:24 PM

63 posts, read 183,330 times
BTW- There are several new gated communities in the area but one that seems to fit your description is The Retreat at White Oak....they are brand new but are getting awesome perks.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:39 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,656,179 times
FYI

There are quite a number of people here that did not move here because of VW. (myself included)

Old 10-17-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
FYI

There are quite a number of people here that did not move here because of VW. (myself included)
Yep, my hubby would be one as well. He does Industrial Specialized HazMat Emergency Response....so he came for something totally different. But I did get to drive by the VW plant..it's going to be huge!

Old 10-18-2009, 08:14 PM

600 posts, read 2,250,623 times
VW announced that they are filling most, if not all of the available production positions with Hamilton county residents, so if you don't already live here, chances are, you won't get hired.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:40 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,656,179 times
I want to be the guy who gets to drive the test crash dummy cars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga