Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,512 times

Advertisements

Well looks like we're going to be relocating to the area for the same reason. Great thread and glad to see all the information. We're relocating from the Nashville area so not as far... but looking like it's a go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 02:38 PM

65 posts, read 188,946 times
Congrats beth21-

Welcome to this crazy journey. When you will be relocating?
We FINALLY sold our house two weeks ago. It's been on the market since June, when my husband started his job with VW. Things moved very quickly once we got the offer. We close tomorrow on that house and we had an offer accepted today on a house in Ooltewah. FINALLY things are starting to come together. The kids and I can't wait to join my husband in Chattanooga soon!

Good luck!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,512 times
Hey... well if things go like they should.. hubby will be there next month. We'll be doing like you guys did and staying here until the house sells. I sure hope for a faster timeline than you had! BUT, we're only 2 hours away, so that's not so bad at all. We're looking in the same area to buy as you did. Maybe East Brainard, too. I'd love to find a gated community or a newer neighborhood that isn't so pricey compared to the $/square feet. I'm so happy that you will be joining your husband soon! That's so exciting and the time of separation hopefully will all be worth it as you'll now be together! We'll have to get in touch... if there's a private message system here etc.. I always have tons of questions

Old 12-20-2009, 04:15 PM

323 posts, read 1,155,417 times
I was wondering if anybody out there got interviewed or hired for the maintenance technicians job yet? I applied when it was opened and have heard or seen nothing about those jobs since.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:25 AM

I don't believe they have hired maintenace staff yet. Equipment installation begins in January.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:30 AM

Beth-
There is a private message system here...feel free anytime!
Through my research I found that new constructions is more pricey when you look at $/sq. foot. Just FYI. You get less house for the money in new construction.

I too hope you have better luck with selling your house then we did! We knew the market was bad, but we didn't think it would take as long as it did...nor did we think we would take the beating we did with the selling price. Oh well...at least we are rid of it.

Good luck!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:28 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,204,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye75 View Post
Through my research I found that new constructions is more pricey when you look at $/sq. foot. Just FYI. You get less house for the money in new construction.
That is very true, and wanna-be homeowners who buy land and hire a contractor sometimes find they owe more than the house is worth (i.e., more than the bank will finance). All the extras that make a house "better" can cost big bucks, but rarely help increase the appraisal price. For example, adding better insulation, triple-pane windows, and a high-SEER heat pump to lower your electricity bills can cost a small fortune, but won't result in a comparable increase in the appraisal price.

But the flip side is that you get the house you want instead of the house someone else wanted, or the house some contractor wanted to build. We've spent a not-so-small fortune ourselves making our current 20-yr old house fit our needs. We've doubled the size of the kitchen, opened up the first floor, and reworked quite a bit of screwed up electrical wiring. If we'd had the time to new-build before moving we would have fixed this in the design stage.

Even better is if you're able and knowledgeable enough to personally inspect the work. Did the contractor put too many lights and outlets on that circuit? Make em fix it. Did the plumber destroy a load-bearing stud wall when installing a pipe? Make em fix it. Want a way to turn on the front porch light from your upstairs bedroom? Add a switch for a few dollars.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I don't believe they have hired maintenace staff yet. Equipment installation begins in January.
There was 20 maintenance positions open a few months ago.I understood they would be sent to Germany for training.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:03 PM

Just talked to my husband. They have filled a few maintenance positions but not many. They filled the "core group" first. More hiring in maintenance will be done after the first of the year. HTH.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Just talked to my husband. They have filled a few maintenance positions but not many. They filled the "core group" first. More hiring in maintenance will be done after the first of the year. HTH.
Thank you Hawkeye.Was I right that the core group is 20 people and their training is in Germany?It really sounds like they are a head of their schedule at the plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga