U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:39 AM

674 posts, read 1,612,458 times

Advertisements

I have been wanting to come and explore the Chattanooga area and have also wanted to attend the 127 Yard Sale for several years now. Something has always gotten in the way...

Not this year...I made hotel reservations and my daughter and I will be coming up from Aug 4-11 to take in the city and sights of Chattanooga. I've read so many wonderful things on how the city has turned itself around, and am looking to go back to the mountains--which I miss terribly!

Anyway, my daughter and I LOVE yard sales--but this is on a whole different level than anything we have ever experienced. We would appreciate any advice you can give us regarding how to tackle the yard sale.

I actually made our reservations for all of our days in Chattanooga, figuring that when we weren't yard saling, we could be doing Chattanooga things. Please give your suggestions on things we should check out. We have lots of interests--so anything and everything is fair game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 10:50 AM

1,109 posts, read 3,059,900 times
Cool Hot Temps.?

I.A.J .: See you are from Orlando & use to Heat. Today aleady forecast 97 degrees. .Remember early Aug can get 102 degrees in that Dunlap ,Sequitchie valley . Prepare for heat.
.. More info below , but I believe that sale starts even down into lower ALABAMA.? up into Kentucky . Dont have to spend every day here in Chatt , even though you are welcome. .I did a SEARCH on the top toolbar & here is the link http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=13664220
with quite a few prior threads on the # 127 Longest yard sale.
... Some vendors may have tables , front yards set up the weekend before actual Date. Just basic kids clothes , may get lower or bag prices at Church rummage sales along the way . IMO. NOt to mention air - cond gym, but dont tell everyone.!

Old 06-20-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT View Post
I.A.J .: See you are from Orlando & use to Heat. Today aleady forecast 97 degrees. .Remember early Aug can get 102 degrees in that Dunlap ,Sequitchie valley . Prepare for heat.
.. More info below , but I believe that sale starts even down into lower ALABAMA.? up into Kentucky . Dont have to spend every day here in Chatt , even though you are welcome. .I did a SEARCH on the top toolbar & here is the link http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=13664220
with quite a few prior threads on the # 127 Longest yard sale.
... Some vendors may have tables , front yards set up the weekend before actual Date. Just basic kids clothes , may get lower or bag prices at Church rummage sales along the way . IMO. NOt to mention air - cond gym, but dont tell everyone.!
I suppose I am as used to the heat as I can get at this point..

Before I posted this I looked up the 127 sale and world's longest yard sale on CD. I've already read all the posts that come up with those search terms. I tried clicking on your link, but nothing comes up with it. Says no search data--or something like that.

I've also read lots of stuff online about it. I guess I am looking for tips on where is good, where is not, tips on things that you find out so you will know next year, don't really want to mess with the dealers--want the locals.

Since I don't know how long it takes, what the crowds are like, what the drive back and forth would be like, etc. I just made sure that we had some place to stay--and I found that surprisingly, there is still a lot available--in the Chattanooga area anyway. Not paying the prices they want for hotels up around Crossville, etc. That's totally crazy.

If we get our fill of Chattanooga, we can always head up the road, another direction or whatever.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:06 AM

246 posts, read 463,154 times
OK first of all, for the yard sale: (I'm quite experienced)........You need to get a hotel reservation in Dunlap for the days you want to yard sale, not Chattanooga. Or just don't get a reservation and stay in whatever town you end up. This will save you tons of time because I think all sellers have to close down by 5:00 in most places. You cannot even begin to see everything in a couple of days and don't wait until the very end of the week because sometimes, a lot of them already shut down and close up on Saturday to go back home if their sales weren't too good and most are gone by Sunday. Start in Dunlap, or on Signal Mountain then come down towards Dunlap. There are crafters there and all sorts of half way decent stuff to see. The center of Dunlap has pretty good stuff and the traffic can be a little bumper to bumper at times but if you have patience and a good attitude you'll find a place to park. As you leave Dunlap and go under the over pass a few miles up the road on your left will be a biggin, you can't miss it. Go there for a large variety of "stuff". I always by pass most of the (I'll get shot for this) local stuff that are set up between Dunlap and Pikeville after that because that's usually an abundance of just people's trash and cruddy old moth eaten clothes. Go into Pikeville via business 127 and there you will find more decent charming little treasures near the Vaughn House Bed & Breakfast area and park and walk from there. Now here's a super neat place to head for: Leave Pikeville and stay along hwy 127 as if you are going towards Crossville. About say 6 miles or so out of Pikeville you will pass by the Rock House Cafe (seafood) and past there just a couple of miles are some cabins (and clean outhouses! thank heavens) that have been specially built to house several vendors. Its HUGE. There is ample parking there and the food is fantastic. The secret is that if you go where you see tons of people and traffic jams, those sellers have stuff worth looking at. Last couple of years there have been ample law so the traffic isn't nearly as bad as one might think anymore. The sale is actually smaller now than it has been in the past also.
You can leave Pikeville and head to Crossville since you are almost there anyhow. Just follow your nose and go where the crowds are. There is a place up town near Walmart on the right that usually has quite a bit of different stuff to offer. That's where I round up a lot of my Christmas gifts every year.
Bring your own cooler of water or whatever you drink in your vehicle and your own toilet paper! I also carry some wet wipes too because your hands will be nasty and filthy from handling junk. Prices for drinks and waiting in lines is usually crazy so bring plenty. Good luck and enjoy. And oh, please don't speed cause the local law would love to give an out of stater a ticket.
I'll see you there!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:29 AM

MountainAire--thank you for lots of great advice!!! I almost always "wing-it" when I go on a trip. I hate to pre-schedule hotel reservations cause then I can't dawdle if I want to. Usually it works out--but sometimes it doesn't and then I have to go way down the road or pay way more than I want to.

Not having been to this yardsale before, I have no idea what to expect. A lot of posts say hotels are booked months in advance--and once you leave Chattanooga, there aren't many big towns that I would think have much--but I don't know your area at all.

I'm confused about something you said--Are you saying that the sales actually start way before the weekend? If they do, I need to see about leaving sooner???

I am looking forward to spending a few days exploring Chattanooga--which is why my daughter and I were heading up on Tuesday. We also figured that if we finished and wanted to move-on after a few days, we could--but we might have to drive a bit to get a hotel that doesn't cost a fortune.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:09 PM

10,714 posts, read 6,749,464 times
The World's Longest Yardsale - Highway 127 Sale - An August Event in the Southeast

Highway 127 Yard Sale

World's Longest Yardsale...

Old 06-23-2009, 12:53 AM

OK sorry I'll try to clarify. I just checked and can't believe they have shortend the days! Its from the 6-9 which is completely insane. Not much time! I don't think a lot will be there under those conditions but there will still be plenty of stuff. It does seem to get smaller each year.

Ok since it begins on the 6th officially, which is a Thursday, I'm sure the vendors will be there then on Saturday the 8th and not leave early since Saturday will probably be their biggest day. Its probably safe to say to start right on the 6th as soon as they open and then take it from there. You might consider spending the night of the 5th at a Dunlap hotel which is right smack dab on the edge of town. You can get breakfast anywhere in Dunlap.

Here locally, they start roping off the streets and plots way in advance. Vendors will show up days ahead of time and they aren't really allowed to sell early but they do.

What we do is allow only like 15 mintues at each stop to see what catches out eye. You really need to give yourselves a time limit like that or you won't get anywhere. Then we go forward along route and only stop at the larger places. You have to figure that where there is a lot of vendors, there should be decent junk. Anyhow, we make notes of what we saw and exactly where we saw it and the price as we go along.... and we don't make purchases as a rule until on the way back. Lots of time there are duplicates of the same things and we want to get the best bang for the buck. Most venders will deal.

There is only one hotel in Pikeville and sorry to say I would never recommed it but there are a few in Crossville that are ok and should suit you just fine. There are two places to stay also in Dunlap and both of them are also nice. There are bed and breakfast in between but I really have no experience with them at all.

When you arrive in Crossville, go way out past Walmart and Cracker Barrell and through the intersection towards Shoney's and continue on. Great stuff up that way for sure.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:00 AM

A lot of posts say hotels are booked months in advance--and once you leave Chattanooga, there aren't many big towns that I would think have much--but I don't know your area at all.

You are right, there are no big towns. Actually all the towns around are pretty small, Signal Mountain, Dunlap, Pikeville, but trust me, they are loaded with stuff coming out the ying yang. Dunlap is totally overloaded and its great. We have a business there and I'll most likely close it because no one will be able to get into our store or parking lot. Vendors everywhere you look. They postpone the beginning of school because the busses can't get through if that gives you an idea. I have pictures but I don't know how to post them here. If I figure it out, I'll do it.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:04 AM

Back again I just thought of something else. When going from town to town as in Dunlap to Pikeville and Pikeville to Crossville, there will be miles of nothing but farms inbetween and nothing so don't think you ran out of "stuff"......you didn't. You just need to keep on driving!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:18 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,581,228 times
It may be listed as starting on the 6th of August, but people set up as early as the week before it starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga