Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 PM

20 posts, read 78,362 times

Advertisements

Would someone please tell me the truth about Highland Park?

I am getting so many mixed messages. Some say it's great, some say it's "up and coming," and yet others say to avoid it completely.

Here's the situation:
Husband and I will graduate from law school next year. We have two small children (0 and 2), and are planning to move to Chattanooga as soon as we take/pass the bar exam to start our own practice. Schools and community are our biggest consideration. Of course we zeroed in on Normal Park because of the great magnet school, but the housing seems so overpriced (and kind of tiny considering what it costs). We're now looking at Highland Park a little (while considering that the difference in housing costs would be put toward putting the children in private school). We don't want suburbs. We now live in a rural area of TN and we hate it. I'm tired of driving, driving, driving everywhere we go. I'd like to live someplace where we can walk to activities (shopping, dining, recreation, etc), or at least be within a *very* short drive. I want my children to be able to play with other children outside - in safety. My husband and I are also avid runners, and we'd like to live someplace where we could run the neighborhood without fearing for our safety.

I've read that many young families are moving to Highland Park, but I've also been told by real estate agents that we should concentrate more on North Shore (and I have to suspect because that's where the more expensive houses are, but perhaps I'm wrong). We are very liberal and are very open and accepting of other cultures and religions, but we also want to feel safe at home. Likewise, we don't want to end up in a neighborhood of conservative Christians where we would feel stifled.

Could it be that Highland Park is what Normal Park was 10 years ago? Could it be considered an investment?

Could someone please share an opinion? I know there are no unbiased opinions on neighborhoods - because it's all subjective as to where a person lives. But be as objective as possible please - for a young family's sake!

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 PM

246 posts, read 755,061 times
I wouldn't trust a realestate agent to be honest, not in this day and age where everyone is so desperate to make a sale. I don't know a thing about living in the places you mentioned but I learned a long time ago to get the truth, ask the neighbors. We have done some work in North Shore and Highland Park and both are expensive, too expensive.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:21 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,807 times
Check the local police reports. Highland Park is crime ridden. They have gangs, drug problems, prositution, theft and breaking and entering. Is this where you want to raise your children? I wouldn't. Highland Park used to be "up and coming," but it never "happened" due to the bad economy and all the foreclosures. The only two good things about it are that it is close to downtown and it has some really cute old homes. The Chattanooga area is full of "conservative Christians" but hopefully that is changing now that people from all over the country are moving here and it's becoming more of a melting pot socially. I've also found that the Christians here tend to mind their own business and don't get too preachy like they do in other areas. I think they have more of a live and let live attitude here.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,275 times
I KNOW that there are folks in HP that LOVE LOVE LOVE it down that way. The homes are beautiful and the location is geographically a good one BUT like alot of up and coming areas you have GOT TO BE CAREFUL where you hang your hat. One block can make ALL the difference in the world. Literally. This is true for alot of areas within a 5-7 mile radius of downtown. I myself am not brave enough to be a pioneer down that way, especially with a small child. You just get too much static in alot of those areas. Fast loud cars who don't care if they are speeding down your street and the kids are outside. Bumps in the night and careless home/pet owners. If I were forced to live downtown and was on a budget ie: less than 200k I would probably choose the area off of Main Street near Jefferson Park. Lotsa new cottage homes and some ultra modern ones mixed in. Huge park setting in the neighborhood to make up for the small lots. Of course this is only MY opinion. I am not a suburbanite so don't think I am bashing inner city areas out of shear ignorance and fear Maybe someone will chime in on the good points as I am sure there are some. Ask ALOT of questions and do your reasearch.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:20 PM

20 posts, read 78,362 times
Thank you each for your input. I appreciate your time and thoughts. I'm going to share your comments with my husband, continue to do some research, and hopefully make an informed decision about which part of town is best for us. We want a nice house with plenty of space (we really don't want to downsize, because we're very cramped now in our 3/2 1400 sq ft house), but we'd like to have it in a good neighborhood as well. Not much to ask, eh? I know we're searching for the impossible - well, maybe not impossible in ten years when we have more money. But it's difficult to find that needle in the haystack now on a limited budget (we're looking between $200K-$250K).

Again, thank you all for your responses! I'm sure that I'll be around the forum for the next year or so with more questions for you!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,473 times
Wow!! When I read your post, I felt like I wrote it myself!! My husband and I are in the exact same position. I am a teacher in a small rural community in N. Georgia and my husband is just finishing his undergrad in history. We are looking for a nice (and safe) community in Chattanooga within walking distance to more culture, music and good schools. We have 2 boys (4 and 3) and consider them our main priority. We are also very liberal, and are ready to be surrounded by people who share our beliefs, but yet in driving distance to our families. We are actually taking a trip up to Chattanooga in a week or so to check things out before we decide any further. Good luck in your research!!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:26 PM

26 posts, read 80,641 times
It's interesting how it feels as though like-minded people congregate to this forum. As I ready runningmom and tmckinney's posts I felt hope that other people the same desire for a community exist. I finished my Master of Social Work in St. Louis last year, and have been really disappointed in being in North GA/Chattanooga and not finding people that value diversity and progressive thought that I was submerged in while in St. Louis.

Just wanted to share that I feel encouraged now. Thank you.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:20 AM

That is another thing, most of the houses in Highland Park are small. Most have only onstreet parking or a small driveway. Garages are almost non existant and the lots are very tiny. You get more for your money in East Brainerd and Ooltewah.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:38 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningmom View Post
We are very liberal and are very open and accepting of other cultures and religions, but we also want to feel safe at home. Likewise, we don't want to end up in a neighborhood of conservative Christians where we would feel stifled.
May I ask what your definition of a "conservative Christian" is so I can have a point of reference and better understand what you're looking for.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:02 PM

To me, a Southern Baptist fits the bill of a conservative Christian, but that is only my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga