Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 09:00 AM

257 posts, read 1,080,811 times

Advertisements

I am living in frequent humidity now, and of course I know the farther south I go the more humid it gets......How bad is the humidity in nooga, and also what about flies/bugs because of all the water.

Are there any cheaper areas to look in? I noticed if the houses are cheap the area is run down. Are there nicer areas of the city that have a house for under $100,000? Is so, what are the zipcodes?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 01:17 PM

98 posts, read 388,621 times
the humidity is whats to be expected. Chattanooga is very humid pretty much from July to November. Not quite as much as Central-West Georgia where I originate from, but nonetheless, if you're not use to it, You'll be runnin the AC alot.
I like it to be honest, I work in a warehouse that's not really "Conditioned" and it actually feels better when I do step outside on a hot muggy day.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:07 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Just wanted to clarify Chattanooga's weather:

Yes, it is quite humid in the summer. I'd say from the 4th of July through the middle of September the humidity is very high and A/C is required. Around the middle of September (sometimes earlier), the first true fall cold front arrives and cuts the humidity considerably.

Fall and Spring in Chattanooga are absolutely incredible - warm days, low humidity. Case in point, our kids had a wonderful time at the Coolidge Park fountains (http://www.chattanooga.gov/PRAC/30_1096.htm http://www.rivercitycompany.com/ddvelop/public_places/coolidge.asp (broken link)) this Saturday - high of 80 degrees .

Winters are a bit dreary and the cold is biting (with relatively higher humidity). Snow is rare (we had a 2 or 3 inch snow in February and several other "light" snows). Snow of any accumulation brings the city to a halt. Often, Signal and Lookout Mountain (2000 ft elevation) will have significantly more snow than the city center (elevation around 700 ft).

drfranklin

Old 04-23-2007, 06:22 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Putty, I think the previous posters covered humidity for you so let's chat about what you are looking for in a house. What size? Do you have children? How many bedrooms? Etc... Fill us in and we can go from there

Old 04-23-2007, 01:00 PM

26 posts, read 161,327 times
I too am considering looking around Chattanooga. I am wondering what the area is like around zip code 37404/37411 and near Temple University? I have selected 2 areas to look in. I am going to go with a REALTOR and then investigate the area on my own. I will try and talk to neighbors. I will go to the local pharmacy and grocery store, as I will likely discover more about the neighborhood by seeing who is shopping in the area. I will also try to walk around the area. You will discover more while on foot, rather than driving. Try looking around in the 1 - 2 mile radius. Do you feel comfortable in what you see in that radius?

Old 04-23-2007, 01:41 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
I am in 37411 and love the area. You have some apartments, small homes then move on up to some really fabulous established neighborhoods. 37404 and the Temple area is iffy but BOOMING! Back in the day noone would live there and now you can't afford it. Some amazing homes are there next to delapidated abandoned homes. You know, the typical "revitalization" process. It would be a great place to invest in, I can guarantee that one. I personally adore the area and am impressed and awed by the efforts of our city and citizens but as I have a small child I would not move there. However, I do have friends in the area and they would not move as they love it there. Now if you are thinking Missionary Ridge when you say 37404, that's a whole different story. I suppose it all depends on what you are looking for.

Last edited by jkmewright; 04-23-2007 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga