Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:19 PM

20 posts, read 31,890 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to a small town on the eastern border of tennessee. Anyone know anything about Pikesville,SweetWater, or any area near ,that is great for families. We are looking from Athens to Cookeville.We don't want a big town but would like to have all the comforts of one close by. We are walking into this "blind" and would appreciate any help. As we do not need jobs..that is not a issue. If anyone knows of any older homes in need of repair at a good price or even a mobile home with land please contact me. All help and advise will be appreciated.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 04:48 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Smile OVERHILL towns link

P: Sounds good. .We were from the East coast of Fla . The region you asked is on the outskirts of Knoxville so larger bldgs there.
.. Here is a LINK for the OVERHILL region . Has Indian history back to the mid 1700's . Also now popular with the tourist TRAINS that run at foothills of the Smoky mtns . All this rt # 441 is what you asked about .
Tennessee Overhill Territory

Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 PM

246 posts, read 754,684 times
Stay far away from Pikeville. Its a ghost town, mostly all farms, nothing there. Nothing. You have heard the old saying of blink and you missed it, well that's Pikeville literally. Very old timey and smaller than small, hillbilly oriented, everyone related and they don't welcome newcomers very well one bit. Sweetwater is much larger, getting more progressive, farm town, worth looking at. Cookeville is HUGE in comparrison and they have "stuff." I'm a fan of Dunlap although I don't live there I hang there. Small town again but nice and decent and we use Chattanooga for "stuff" about 20 minutes away via interstate. Great schools, great people, lots of land and growing, great for family.
However in each of these places if you think you are going to get a cheap mobile fixer upper look out because they are in abundance and usually trashed beyond belief where you will be paying top dollar for the land when its not worth it. You also cannot get any insurance anywhere on a used mobile home. We have restored our own home, a fixer upper as well as done extensive remodeling in many, but they have always been a horrible money pit that never ends so just keep your eyes open and don't fall for anything without an expert opinion and don't be anxious to trust the realtors who are starving; they'll sell you anything. Right now our local banks have been doing a lot of foreclosures and they are willing to deal like crazy. Call Tri-county bank in Dunlap and ask for Mr.Johnson in the loan dept. about that.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:28 PM

22 posts, read 45,738 times
I worked in Sweetwater for a short time. It is located in of the most beautiful places in US. Waterfalls, hills, parks.... I like the small community in Sweetwater, feels like real old fashioned kind-hearted America.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:47 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
now you've got me wanting to go to Pikeville just to see things for myself - wait - think I did pass through there on my way to Fall Creek Falls a couple of years ago.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:51 AM

20 posts, read 31,890 times
thanks so much to all. we are heading up this wednesday hoping to find something. i am a hillbilly born in jackson county,nc. so maybe i will not be to strange to locals..in florida due to family member life threating accident..stuck here for 10 years...live on the space coast ..hate it how many times can one watch the launch of the shuttle...go to disney...really gets old. i want my 10 year old to see the changing of the leaves, see the mountains, ride a horse...live a country gal life ..we narrowed our search to crossville, sweetwater,dunlap. then yesterday the realtor sent us info on etowah???? greeneville???.realtors can sure confuse one.lolnot looking for work just peace of mind...thanks to all on the forum you sure make it easier ..any info on these two locations.again tks so much you guys are great

Old 10-11-2009, 02:56 PM

851 posts, read 2,457,236 times
I believe that Greeneville is up toward the Northeast corner and Etowah is down toward the Southeast corner. The two are quite a ways apart. Is that really what you were looking for? Etowah I believe would be a little more mild weather wise than Greeneville. Etowah would have less snow than Greeneville.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:43 PM

246 posts, read 754,684 times
patbch please stop in Dunlap at the Tri County Bank as I said in the first place. Since you do not need jobs, ask them in the loan dept about the foreclosures they have in Bledsoe and Sequatchie. Will be worth your time. One is a brick house with barn, fixer upper on quite a few acres on the mountain by me and they will deal.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:19 PM

22 posts, read 45,738 times
If you looking small town with potential, you may check Cleveland, TN also

Old 10-12-2009, 08:26 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,153 times
I was born in Sweetwater, what you want to know about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga