U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 AM

624 posts, read 879,896 times
Default Cheaper to live in TN or GA

We are relocating to the area in June of 2010. We are looking at housing and have noticed that housing in the Fort Oglethorpe area is cheaper. I know there is no state income tax in TN. Does anyone know if it is cheaper to live in TN or GA overall? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 04:20 PM

416 posts, read 611,298 times
If you are on retirement income, GA does not tax that. However, if you are working, the fact that TN does not have state income tax (or that stupid annual car tax like GA) would make the volunteer state cheaper to live in.
GA realtors will tell you that in the end it all equals out, . . . but that is BS

Old 11-23-2009, 06:48 PM

383 posts, read 599,439 times
I agree... I think overall (even with the TN sales tax), Tennessee is cheaper. Heck, if you live in certain areas of Chattanooga, you can even buy groceries across the state line. In fact, I do about half the time... I live in East Brainerd. I'd bet that if you live in East Ridge (TN), you'd have the best of both worlds as Ft. Oglethorpe and Lafayette are just a short jog down the road.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:59 PM

626 posts, read 908,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
GA realtors will tell you that in the end it all equals out, . . . but that is BS
Agree. The yearly savings from a lower GA sales tax and their lower property taxes are not going to outweigh the 6% GA state tax rate, unless you're living close to the poverty line or have a very, very high property value.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 AM

5 posts, read 10,478 times
My wife and I were living in TN and ended up moving to Rock Spring GA. We were looking for a place in the mid 200's and for what that could buy us in Chattanooga, compared to out there...it was well worth the move for us.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:52 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,091,500 times
car tax?!
anyone eliborate on this?

Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,394,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 419gottaminute View Post
car tax?!
anyone eliborate on this?
It's the "Motor Vehicle Ad Valorem" tax. Go HERE, read the second paragraph down. Click the link for more info, including how to calculate it. It's sometimes called a "Personal Property Tax" in other states, such as Missouri. In other states, such as Mississippi, this tax is added the the price of the tag fee.

It's an annual tax based on a state-calculated value of your vehicle (somewhere between the wholesale and retail value). The rate varies significantly between different counties and cities, ranging from $15 to $49 per $1000 in assessed value. According to THIS DOCUMENT (pdf), if you live in rural Dade county a $20,000 vehicle would cost you about $382 per year. The same vehicle would cost a resident of Ft. Oglethorpe (Walker Co.) $618 per year.

The tax drops every year as the value of the vehicle decreases.

TN residents do not pay this tax, either as a separate tax, or as part of the tag.

Last edited by jwkilgore; 12-07-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga