U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:32 PM

30 posts, read 40,434 times
Default Who do I call to get gas fireplace hooked up?

My wife and I recently purchased a new construction home in East Brainerd. We have a gas fireplace, with gas logs, but it's not actually hooked up to anything.

I'm assuming we'll need a propane tank, and a gas line run from the fireplace inside to the tank outside. I've done quite a bit of calling around but most gas companies I call don't do this. Those of you that have had this done, what are the most reasonably priced companies out there that do good work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 02:15 PM

343 posts, read 863,771 times
I could be mistaken, but I believe it is plumbing companies that offer this service, not gas companies.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:33 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,353,448 times
The builder installed a gas fireplace without hooking it up to gas??? What's up with that? First, I'd give the house a thorough inspection to see what else didn't get hooked up, nailed down, or assembled. Make sure they installed the vent correctly; they may have assumed that since they didn't hook up the gas, they didn't need to bother with a vent. Assuming you're in a new subdivision, which one is it and do you know the name of the builder?

Next check to see if you have natural gas run to your house. We do, and we live in East Brainerd, but some developers are trying to save money by not running gas lines in new subdivisions. If you have access to a main, I think the gas company will install a service connection and a meter for a fee. You only need to hire a contractor (plumber), to run piping inside the house to the fireplace.

As for installing a LP tank, check building codes and your local covenants first to see if this is even allowed. It probably IS allowed, but I'd hate to spend that much money just to get sued by your homeowner's association. And even if allowed, there may be restrictions as to where you can put it and how it is connected. It may have to be buried, screened, back yard only, certain distance from your house or property line, etc. Most LP companies will install a tank for a fee; I think you actually lease the tank from some companies instead of buying it. Do a Google search for "Chattanooga Propane" to get a list of companies for comparison shopping. Unfortunately, I can't make a recommendation as to the best one to use. Your best bet is to find someone using LP and find out if they're happy, then ask for a referral. Some companies give cash awards for referrals.

Now that you have a tank, you need a line run to the house. I guess the first company you should call should be the contractor who built your house. Don't call the plumber; call the general contractor, or the company responsible for the overall construction. Start off with the position that when they installed the fireplace they forgot to hook it up, so when can you expect the job to be finished? Most new-build houses have a limited warranty covering construction issues. You might get lucky.

If that doesn't work, try the LP company that installs your tank. While they probably won't be able to run a line inside your house (but it doesn't hurt to ask), they might be able to recommend a good plumber to use. Fortunately for me, since moving to Chattanooga I haven't had a plumbing problem too big for me to handle myself, so I can't make a recommendation myself.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:27 AM

2,350 posts, read 7,226,167 times
Are the logs propane or natural gas? Some sets can be converted and some are one or the other so I would definitely call your contractor first thing. The problem with propane logs is that it is very hard to get someone to service you, as you have found. Really it's not that they CAN'T do it, they just don't want to. They don't make any money pumping 50 gallons of propane into your tank over a year's time. If there is no natural gas @ your home you really have two options. Get a 20-40-100# cylinder and fill it yourself at your local dealer (you'll need a truck for this) or purchase a 100 gallon tank. These smaller tanks can go right up against your home. The gas company CAN do the piping and pressure tests if you can talk them into it. If not, get a plumber.

Last edited by jkmewright; 12-17-2009 at 06:50 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 06:39 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,133,730 times
Kinda makes kinda glad we have a wood burning fireplace

Old 12-17-2009, 02:24 PM

30 posts, read 40,434 times
The logs are propane.

So I called around a bit. Bradley Propane is the only one that will bury a tank, even though their prices are a little higher. But the tank has to be at least 10 feet away from the house, and will have the dome with the guages sticking up a few inches above ground. So beyond even just tearing up the yard I'll also have this stuff stick up out of the ground in the middle of the yard? It might look natural (or be easily hideable) if it were up against the house, but having it be 10 feet away is a pain.

Heh, maybe I would be better off just getting a 100lb tank from Lowe's and standing it up somewhere.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:11 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,353,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcize View Post
The logs are propane.
So I called around a bit. Bradley Propane is the only one that will bury a tank, even though their prices are a little higher. But the tank has to be at least 10 feet away from the house, and will have the dome with the guages sticking up a few inches above ground. So beyond even just tearing up the yard I'll also have this stuff stick up out of the ground in the middle of the yard? It might look natural (or be easily hideable) if it were up against the house, but having it be 10 feet away is a pain.

Heh, maybe I would be better off just getting a 100lb tank from Lowe's and standing it up somewhere.
Cover it with one of those huge fake rocks. Or do a little landscaping and put a flower bed around it.

If you think this fireplace will be a primary heat source (with a fan to blow the heat away from the fire), then you'll need a larger tank. But if you're only planning on lighting it for the occasional romantic dinner, then go for the smaller tank. A 40-lb tank can be filled at ACE hardware or similar.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:51 AM

383 posts, read 590,916 times
Try Fine's in F.O., GA. They did our chimney restoration and advised on gas logs. They also sell the equipment you'll need. Otherwise, I have absolutely no affiliation with them. Good luck.

Gas Logs and Fire Magic Gas Grills, Fire Pits and Outdoor Fireplaces

Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 PM

89 posts, read 160,255 times
I had a vent free fireplace installed a few years back and I used Blaussman in Cleveland. They did a great job and were reasonable. I've dealt with Bradley before and..well to be honest, they seemed well dishonest.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 25 times
We recently purchased a house with a gas fireplace and are looking for a reputable company to advise whether it can be converted over to real wood burning. If so - we would also need a quote for this. Can you refer anyone to help with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga