Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:04 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,781,518 times

Advertisements

It's not meant to be intrusive or rude, but it is. It's on par (IMO) with "Why don't you have kids?", "Are you Republican or Democrat?", or "How much money did you make this year?" None of your business.

I think you're probably right, Wmsn4Life. They aren't trying to pry. I don't like it though. I wish people would not ask. There doesn't seem to be a good way to respond if a person is nonreligious, atheistic or agnostic. At least, I haven't found a good way to respond without casting suspicion on myself or without rousing a testimony out of the other person. I can't help but wonder at these people, "Didn't your parents teach you that it's always better not discuss religion or politics (especially with strangers)?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM

58 posts, read 184,798 times
Well I find that people who ask this question tend to be least unprepared for the full range of HONEST answers to their question.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:12 PM

246 posts, read 751,179 times
It seems to be a very common question here in Tennessee. Don't be alarmed or offended it goes with the territory. I feel its because 1. people are just plain nosey or 2. others truly want to invite you to their church. I wouldn't dream of asking that question to anyone as I believe its like politics where I don't ask anyone what their polictial party is because I feel these things are personal and private. But if it bothers you, just say you're Wiccan and walk off and I don't think anyone will pursue that conversation with you any further.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:30 PM

26 posts, read 70,698 times
Smile Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainAire View Post
It seems to be a very common question here in Tennessee. Don't be alarmed or offended it goes with the territory. I feel its because 1. people are just plain nosey or 2. others truly want to invite you to their church.
Yes, it seems folks around here are very interested in who you are and what you are up to. People who go to church would ask about yours so as to invite you.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:08 PM

99 posts, read 316,217 times
No.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:21 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,572,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
Well I find that people who ask this question tend to be least unprepared for the full range of HONEST answers to their question.
That's true. Asking the question itself means they assume that you attend a church, so if you say you don't, they will be surprised.

HOWEVER, if you're moving into an area that is predominantly one way, don't be surprised that people are surprised you don't go that way.

More transplants means more religious diversity, but if you've grown up here for 50 years and never met a Wiccan or even a Catholic, it takes a few before you get used to it!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:15 AM

243 posts, read 689,311 times
I lived in Chattanooga for 19 years and was never asked this question. I now live in Jonesborough and still haven't been asked this question.

I guess it just depends.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,781,518 times
We've been asked at least 6 times in less than 2 years. Maybe it does depend. I'd be ready for the question though.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 AM

507 posts, read 875,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is Chattanooga a city that 'what church do you go to?' is a common question asked among strangers when they first meet?

In the South people ask it because it tells them where you are at in terms of politics etc, they want to be sure you know God is an American before they have anything to do with you.
And no, not a joke.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM

507 posts, read 875,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Honestly, a lot of times it's just a way of getting to know you and getting to see what your life is like, kind of like asking where you work or what subdivision you live in.
If you get judgment after you answer, though, then yeah, you're dealing with a narrow-minded person who's living like a Pharisee and not a true Christian, I'd say.

A Christian would not ask in the first place, the judgement is implied in the asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga