Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:39 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,476 times

Advertisements

Two German firms have leased facilites in Chattanooga, with plans to locate operations there.

See the story by clicking on the link below.

Chattanooga Dubbed the "New Detroit" of the U.S. | Cookeville Times | Cookeville, Tennessee News, Weather and Sports | Business (http://www.ucdailynews.com/news/business/92581589.html - broken link)

Old 05-17-2010, 07:05 AM

340 posts, read 1,512,013 times
So Orgone based on your logic Chatt (and really any city) should turn down any opportunities to attract manufacturing business as the effort will be futile in the long run. Your effort at cynicism without thought to the statement just makes your post look, well, invalid.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:31 PM

65 posts, read 189,558 times
Wow!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:02 PM

72 posts, read 245,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmarian View Post
So Orgone based on your logic Chatt (and really any city) should turn down any opportunities to attract manufacturing business as the effort will be futile in the long run. Your effort at cynicism without thought to the statement just makes your post look, well, invalid.
Sorry you had to use your shoddy inferential skills in a public forum. If anything, my cynicism regarding the comparison pertains to the potential for disaster in any cooperative venture where a community hangs its collective economic future on an industrial base in an age where the total assets providing the boost could just as easily move out in years to come.

No, I don't think any community should turn away opportunities to attract industrial production; however, those communities should look to somewhere like Detroit, where the loss of the industrial base has lead to severe poverty, as a disaster to avoid. The blame in some regard lies at the feet of civic leadership for neglecting to provide a profitable environment. The other aspect of the situation arises from the community being beholden to the short end of a covenant, with all the biblical power implications that agreement entails.

But I'm not thinking about what I'm saying anyway, so what do you care?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:20 PM

340 posts, read 1,512,013 times
I would simply point out that Chattanooga is not "hanging it's collective future" on automobile manufacturing. Chattanooga has been digging itself out of a vacancy left by manufacturing in the last century for some time. Take a look downtown: tourism is a growing business for the city, and non-automotive industries are announcing plans to open businesses in Chattanooga. Our local government understands the importance of diversification considering the city's sometimes painful history. However, with an already functioning economic base, bringing in some manufacturing, especially on a large scale will be welcome.

And I do apologize wholeheartedly for my "shoddy inferential skills" in response to your obviously well thought out and helpful post. How I would, or could, disagree is truly a deep flaw in judgment on my part.

Incidentally, I thought you might find this interesting: Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 PM

688 posts, read 1,489,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgonebox View Post
Sorry you had to use your shoddy inferential skills in a public forum. If anything, my cynicism regarding the comparison pertains to the potential for disaster in any cooperative venture where a community hangs its collective economic future on an industrial base in an age where the total assets providing the boost could just as easily move out in years to come.

No, I don't think any community should turn away opportunities to attract industrial production; however, those communities should look to somewhere like Detroit, where the loss of the industrial base has lead to severe poverty, as a disaster to avoid. The blame in some regard lies at the feet of civic leadership for neglecting to provide a profitable environment. The other aspect of the situation arises from the community being beholden to the short end of a covenant, with all the biblical power implications that agreement entails.

But I'm not thinking about what I'm saying anyway, so what do you care?
No, I don't think it's shoddy inferential skills, I think it's more like worthless condescending sputum toward that person's home area that makes that person think of your post as invalid. Pseudo-intellectual b.s. does not impress in the least.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 PM

29 posts, read 96,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgonebox View Post
Hooray! That'll put Chat-town on track to become the New Old Detroit once the companies move out to somewhere cheaper. But don't worry about that for now - hopefully it'll be your grandchildren fighting off feral cats and bears as they forage for food before retreating to McClellan island for the night as the howls of wild mountaineers echo off the decrepit buildings.

What? So what you're saying is, is to discourage companies from coming to Chattanooga because they might eventually leave? Following that logic, why do anything?

Also, if you're concerned about Chatt becoming the "old Detroit", I don't think there's any need for worry. The reason why Detroit went down the gutter was because it was a one-horse show--the Big 3 autos--and when they refused to adapt to the market, the market left them in the dust and took the rest of the city down with it. Besides, what's the worst that can happen? We'd have to try pretty hard to go down to our instate Memphis (where I'm from).

Old 05-19-2010, 05:29 AM

597 posts, read 2,108,451 times
Relax all. He didn't mean anything serious about this. Ever see Blade Runner?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:28 AM

688 posts, read 1,489,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
Relax all. He didn't mean anything serious about this. Ever see Blade Runner?
What exactly do you mean about "Blade Runner"? I believe that is one of the most depressing movies I ever saw (literally rain and darkness the whole damn movie, except that sliver of sunlight at the end).

Old 05-19-2010, 08:19 PM

179 posts, read 547,972 times
I'm from Detroit and looking to relocate to Chattanooga. When I first saw this thread title I was upset because I'm trying to get away from what Detroit has become, not move to what I left. But after reading, I am excited because I agree with other posters - it already has a decent tourism base, as well as other industries. That's for sure one of Detroit's main issues - all the eggs in one basket. (Not to mention winter sucks and poor race relations here.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga