Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 9,495 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Soddy Daisy from Chicago. I am white, my husband African American and we have two bi-racial little girls. Looking at the Demographics, the area is approx 93% White. I am a little concerned about racism towards my girls and am hoping that some of you who live in Soddy Daisy can give me some input. We drove around the area and spoke to some of the people in the neighborhood about schools, etc. We did not get the impression of racism but before we make an offer on the house I am hoping some of you can reassure me! Please help! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:01 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,874,120 times
Smile Welcome

I.M. . Welcome to the forum on your 1st post. I believe North Hamilton county has quite a few churches & family value / activities to offer people relocating from out of state.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,420 times
I don't know how to answer because I just don't know. I'd like to think that there will be no problems, but I don't know. We moved from PA, and I can tell you that there you'd have zero problems. I think you will be ok. Wish someone else from Soddy would chime in.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:30 AM

249 posts, read 659,290 times
Well I think its ignorant to believe that racism doesn't exist anymore, and its going to exist no matter where you go. However I don't think you're going to notice the little bit that does still exist out there. Nowadays, particularly with younger people, racism is mostly non-existent, I prefer to call it behavior-ism. You will mostly be treated how you behave. If you act like a redneck or a hillbilly, you'll be treated as such, and if you act like a gangbanger or something like that, you'll be treated that way. If you act like a perfectly normal human being, I believe you will be just fine.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:22 AM

246 posts, read 754,729 times
Ok here's some food for thought. We were told that KKK is alive throughout the area and found it to be true. However we found it was mostly the very old people that were part of it and only a handful involved. The KKK demonstrated on the courthouse lawn in Dunlap about 5 years ago, burned their crosses wherever they could and were booed and yelled at by the majority of the townspeople to get out of Tennessee. That being said, the 2007 class president of nearly a 98% percent white high school in Sequatchie was half black. He one heck of a great kid and the most popular student that was the most loved by his classmates. He's raising his own family here now and doing very well.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:51 AM

352 posts, read 883,145 times
I have a co-worker, with bi-racial children, one a teen , who live in Soddy Daisy. She has had zero problems. Her son graduated from the high school after attending for two years. Never had any issues there. Her neighbors are older folk, in there 70s, who she has never had an issue with either.
I think you will be just fine.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 9,495 times
Thank you everyone so much!!! They accepted our offer so here we come!

Old 06-04-2010, 05:32 PM

246 posts, read 754,729 times
Welcome!

Old 06-05-2010, 09:05 AM

851 posts, read 2,457,451 times
WooHoo, good for you. Have fun with your relo. This is an exciting time for you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga