U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:46 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times

Advertisements

Ok, Ok, Buicks don't handle very well but this thing rolls like a round bottom boat in the swells. I just bought a 2001 Buick Lesabre FWD sedan. This thing desperately need a bigger rear swaybar. I looked for aftermarket swaybars but couldn't find anything specific.

Do you know of any source of stiffer swaybars and or springs? I would appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,608,598 times
Some here seem to think that is how a car is supposed to ride and handle.

Not me.

A stiffer sway bar will help, but it won't help the other boat-like qualities of the car. It will still float on rises and bottom on dips because the spring rates are too low and the damping (shocks) too soft.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:34 AM

3,306 posts, read 9,006,224 times
That is not how it should handle. Probably needs shocks.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:20 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
I am replacing the air shocks in the rear because they were leaking. Is there a source of stiffer strut inserts for the front. I am also considering installing some progressive rate springs. Where do I get them.

The goal is not a super stiff race car ride but something that won't frighten me on a twisty road.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:39 PM

rockauto

Old 07-26-2010, 01:23 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
I don't recall any "sport" versions of that vintage LeSabre. Maybe you should look into whether any factory parts from the Aurora or the Bonneville could be used as a replacement?

Old 07-26-2010, 02:12 PM

747 posts, read 2,209,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am replacing the air shocks in the rear because they were leaking. Is there a source of stiffer strut inserts for the front. I am also considering installing some progressive rate springs. Where do I get them.

The goal is not a super stiff race car ride but something that won't frighten me on a twisty road.
Didn't you drive the car before you bought it?

IDK what's financially worse, just buying an altogether different car right now -- or spending all this money on springs, shocks, sways, etc. and probably wider wheels and tires as well (none of that will really add value, btw, so think about that before 'investing' a big % of that car's value into mods).

Old 07-26-2010, 02:50 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,490,118 times
Well, good luck with "fixing" the Buick, lol. As others have said, sways aren't your problem, it's the shock and springs that need attention and better tires wouldn't hurt either. The issue you have is that nobody modifies "H" body cars. You might want to try hitting up a Buick forum and seeing if there is anything out there, but most stuff is probably custom.

The one thing you may have going for you is that the Lucerne rides on a mildly modified "H" platform. The Lucerne Super came with a revised and much improved suspension. It has a stiffer front swaybar along with stiffer springs. The main magic in the Super though was the Magnaride shocks, which you simply aren't going to be able to retrofit into your car. Although there are at least some better shock options out there as even a good replacement set will be better than what you have.

If I were you I would look into replacing the shocks with the best you can find aftermarket and then swapping in the sway bar and springs from a Lucerne Super. I would vet out that this could work before buying parts. If I had to guess there is a good chance that the springs will not be an issue, but the sway bar may be.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:54 PM

3,743 posts, read 10,924,051 times
Well, you can throw a saddle on a pig, but you're really better off trading up to a horse... or at least a burrow.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Well, you can throw a saddle on a pig, but you're really better off trading up to a horse... or at least a burrow.
While not sporty, these cars handle fine. The fact that his suspension is behaving like a waterbed probably just means that shocks/struts are worn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC