Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:36 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times

Advertisements

I don't know about that... I see a lot of 97-00 DeVilles with blown head gaskets. Ironically, I have actually heard that 1997 was the most troublesome year. I think you were very lucky.

My cousin has a '98 DeVille that is overheating. He thinks it only needs a new radiator since it is leaking and a new water pump... I haven't the heart to tell him that he likely has a blown head gasket. Luckily he has a 2003 Altima he can drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 08:57 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
I inherited my mom's '05 DeVille and so far, it has run very well. Only has 48K miles on it and my mechanics have been watching it as they know about the problems. I get good milage on it and, while I have been used to driving 5-speed Accords with MT, the Caddy has been fun to drive. Just don't like parking it. LOL

Old 07-26-2013, 10:49 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
The '05 should be OK.

Ironically today I was stopped at a traffic light and there was an auto parts store on the right... there was a guy there with a late 90s DeVille (either a 97-99 model it appeared) and he was repairing the car right there in the parking lot... I seen coolant hoses, air box, water pump, etc laying on the parking lot beside the car that had been removed... the sweat must have been pouring from his brows, as he was wiping his face and it was nearly 90° (before a severe thunderstorm rolled in about an hour later)... seems like a waste of time and energy and I am sure a setup for frustration when the car may still overheat. I am guessing it overheated on him and he was replacing the water pump... what he don't know is that he likely has a blown headgasket.

Its a shame so many people don't know much about these and sink $$$$ into replacing radiators, coolant and water pumps, only to discover the car is still overheating due to a blown head gasket.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:44 PM

89 posts, read 148,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Good thing about the N* is that they had the limp home mode. I had a 97' Deville with almost 120,000 miles when the water pump pully broke & over heated instantly. I drove it a short while once it went in to limp mode. It turned out ok. From what I understand Cadillac had sloved the issue by the 97' model year.

Negative. My father had a 2002 Deville with the northstar and his head gaskets failed at 68000 miles. He went to a GM dealer who repaired the car under my father's extended warranty (which I suggested) due to the problems I had with my 2001 Chevy Malibu's intake manifold gaskets. The gaskets failed again at 73000 miles and the extended warranty company (I forgot the name but popular) refused to eat the cost. My father threatened to sue and the dealer paid half the cost but it was still $2000. My malibu's intake manifold gaskets were repaired at 83,800 miles and were failing again at 89500 when my car got stolen. The insurance company took care of most of the cost and I moved on. Dad found someone to take the car off of him for a loss.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:47 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I own two 98 DeVilles and one 99 DeVille. One of the 98's has been my daily driver for years and runs great but the vinyl top is starting to go away, so I found a mint 99 with no vinyl top but a milkshake in the oil pan (blown head gaskets). Then I found a really clean 98 with 51,000 miles on it that was hit in the front end, but not enough to damage the motor. My plan is to put the 51,000 drivetrain into the 99 and then sell my other 98.

I really like that series DeVille, they are comfortable and powerful. I figure if I change all the hoses, belts, and parts like that on the new motor it should last me for a while, especially since I only drive about 8 miles a day.

Don

Old 12-27-2013, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 50,613 times
The Thomas J, this issue was far from solved. I have a 99 Caddy Deville and that engine has been nothing but problems. Back in Sept I was driving home and a message flashed coolant low, then overheating, then pull off to side of road and turn off car. Was told the water pump, tensioner, pulley and belt had to be changed. Fixed that and the car drove right for 3 weeks. Then the exact same messages came up again. Took it in and paid for a combustion test which they said showed no issues and just the radiator was plugged and probably swap out the thermostat. Did all of that today, and within 5 minutes temp was still back at 250. Finally the shop said it was head gasket. I've heard from several owners of this make and model that they all experienced the same thing with their 99 Northstars. They said if these engines ever over heat just once, they're done. Which has proven to be the case with my scenario. Also on this car it got an oil leak that just got worst and worst. Took it to 5 different shops and every shop said the same thing to me.... that they won't even take the job. They said the oil pans on these cars are god awful, and I could literally spend $2500 to fix all of it and it will still leak. Sucks, as the car was such an awesome drive for a while, but the $$$$ I've spent on this car just to try and fix this and that is ridiculous. Anyone even considering a 90's Cadillac with a Northstar because it looks nice and price seems right, walk away. Either that or by it cheap and yank out that crap engine.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 45,258 times
is it true that 2002 n/s engines do not have the hg problem? i had a 2001 that had the problem and i thought i was taking really good care of the car. sort of made me not look at cadis for a long time. just offered a 2002 dts by my next door neighbor due to the fact she is getting older and has to downsize.(maybe)

Old 03-13-2015, 01:28 PM

252 posts, read 420,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busheytail View Post
is it true that 2002 n/s engines do not have the hg problem? i had a 2001 that had the problem and i thought i was taking really good care of the car. sort of made me not look at cadis for a long time. just offered a 2002 dts by my next door neighbor due to the fact she is getting older and has to downsize.(maybe)
The headgaskets (block) on my 02 Deville DTS failed at 73K miles. Loved that car but could not justify fixing it for $3500.

The issue WAS NOT fixed until most of the 04s and in just about all of the 05s.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 43,651 times
I have never heard of any 2003's having this problem. So far at 99k miles, mine sure dosent. But who knows?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 31,590 times
Well] I live in san antonio tx and I have a 2003 Cadillac deville and its over heating on me they say its my head gasket dose anyone no ware I can go get it fix 210/232/4830//////kevin please help I love my car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC