Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:45 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Lordstown, Ohio. Thats not good....

Ugh. That is not good.

The Volts are assembled in Flint. I doubt the steering wheels will be coming off any of those anytime soon. I think Chevy put their best people on those assembly lines. Couldn't afford not to.

Still, the Cruze has real potential.... why anyone would wanna screw that up is beyond me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Did you side with Toyota when the brake problems came about? Just curious. Some people who are partial to certain makes will defend them but slam others for the same thing.
I didn't "side" with Toyota... I just realized that **** happens.

They got fined, they did a recall... nobody's perfect.

It sucks, and I hope that car companies will figure out new and inventive ways to prevent these things from happening.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:58 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,340,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Like Frank said, Lordstown, OH. It's a shame too. That plant has been through a lot the past 10 years or so and at one point was facing the prospect of being shutdown and at one point was down to a single shift and 1,000 workers. When GM decided to bring the Cruze stateside and build it here, the plant got a new lease on life, a complete re-tooling and 4,500 previously laid off GM workers were brought in from all over the country to work at the plant.

While many deride the auto-bailouts, Lordstown was an example of what it helped accomplish. There are 4,500 more Americans working today in Lordstown, OH because of them and an entire town whose economy depended on that plant is flourishing once again. It would be a damn shame if this screw up hurt demand for the car as they were anticipating needing to add additional shifts and return another 500 laid off GM workers to the lines after the summer maintenance shutdown.

So are you saying American's should be at risk of steering wheels coming off in their hands and any other car failures this vehicle will ultimately have so workers in Ohio can work? Please tell me your not saying that.

Every city is dependent on a factory or other type of employment but if poor quality is the output of such factories they close albeit in Ohio or Kentucky. One wants to feel safe and feel they got value for their purchases. Having the steering wheel come off in ones hand while driving does neither.........

Old 04-14-2011, 12:18 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
So are you saying American's should be at risk of steering wheels coming off in their hands and any other car failures this vehicle will ultimately have so workers in Ohio can work? Please tell me your not saying that.

Every city is dependent on a factory or other type of employment but if poor quality is the output of such factories they close albeit in Ohio or Kentucky. One wants to feel safe and feel they got value for their purchases. Having the steering wheel come off in ones hand while driving does neither.........
I didn't say anything of the sort. I said it was a real shame framed against the backdrop of what had been a huge success story at the Lordstown plant that was on the brink of being shutdown. The production of that car put a lot of Americans back to work.

There is no excuse for what happened and the issues need to resolved. I was simply stating that I hope this doesn't severely damage the reputation of an otherwise good car. To put it into perspective Toyota had a similar issue like this on Rav4's and Tacomas and Honda had them on some Civics.

It's a critical time for GM and it would be a shame to see a car like the Cruze be destroyed over a manufacturing error that only affected 2k or so cars.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:43 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The root cause was determined to be the wrong steering wheel being installed on the car during initial production on the line. The cars that had that happened were sidelined and then workers installed the correct steering wheel by hand.
Different wheels mount differently? I'd think the column and wheel hub would be standardized regardless of the dressing, saves $$$.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:53 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I didn't "side" with Toyota... I just realized that **** happens.

They got fined, they did a recall... nobody's perfect.

It sucks, and I hope that car companies will figure out new and inventive ways to prevent these things from happening.
Me too. As much as a new car costs and as much technology as there is out there you should feel safe when plopping down $20k.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:26 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Different wheels mount differently? I'd think the column and wheel hub would be standardized regardless of the dressing, saves $$$.
The wrong steering wheels were installed on the assembly line. My guess would be something like the steering wheel of a LS was put into a LTZ by mistake or vice versa. Since the wheel had/lacked feautres the car was/wasn't supposed to have, they had to change them out. The affected cars were sidelined, the wheels removed and workers hand installed the correct steering wheels. Somewhere along the way someone didn't install the correct steering wheel properly.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:34 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,624,203 times
You should never buy ANY car in its first model year regardless of the make.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:35 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times
I was lazy and didn't read the article but how the hell does a steering wheel just fall off? Have you ever purposefully tried to take off a steering wheel? With out a puller, it's a pain in the a$$.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:19 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I was lazy and didn't read the article but how the hell does a steering wheel just fall off? Have you ever purposefully tried to take off a steering wheel? With out a puller, it's a pain in the a$$.
Apparently it comes off pretty easilly if the wrong one is installed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC